Booking flights to the uk

john west

As return flight from here are usually more expensive than the other way round has anyone got a single then got returns from the UK? You would have to book the return leg months in advance of course unless you did it more often. If you could get a cheap single to start off looks like you would save quite a bit.

48 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

SkyScanner always works for me.

If one wants to pay in Pounds (GBP):

https://www.skyscanner.net/?locale=en-GB&currency=GBP&market=UK

Three months from now would be end of January.

Don't expect too many bargains at that time.

Skyscanner is great for searching, but I advice not simply book through the cheapest "broker/agent" but directly through the airline.

If the price difference is very high, check carefully for the reputation of the broker.

A couple of black sheep in the business.

52 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

If you could get a cheap single to start off looks like you would save quite a bit.

Regular network airlines rarely show good one-way prices.

You would have to go with a low cost carrier like Norwegian, Eurowings, Scoot etc. and probably a one stop connection.

Thanks for the replies and was wondering these flights on line from the airline I assume the tickets can printed from own computers and not intending to travel until the earliest for possibly March 2020 and can one book that far in advance, but first the hassle of the tourist visa to the UK to get for my Family.

Use http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ to narrow down dates (You can search for dates up to 1 month after a date & for a duration of up to 7 days difference - e.g. 12-19 days from 1st February would pull back all 12-19 day flight options until 1st March) & nearby airports (Not that handy for UK, but might be worth it to you if don't mind going to London instead of Manchester for example...)

Once you have your dates, airlines & duration, use Skyscanner, Expedia, Kayak & the Airlines own site to find the best deal

11 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Use http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ to narrow down dates (You can search for dates up to 1 month after a date & for a duration of up to 7 days difference - e.g. 12-19 days from 1st February would pull back all 12-19 day flight options until 1st March) & nearby airports (Not that handy for UK, but might be worth it to you if don't mind going to London instead of Manchester for example...)

Once you have your dates, airlines & duration, use Skyscanner, Expedia, Kayak & the Airlines own site to find the best deal

Thanks, Mike and others and assume if booking on line are tickets sent or printed from home computer.

16 minutes ago, john west said:

Thanks, Mike and others and assume if booking on line are tickets sent or printed from home computer.

I normally don't bother printing anything, just check-in online, show my passport at the Internet Check-in/Baggage Drop desk when dropping my luggage off & they print the boarding pass(es) there.

1 hour ago, john west said:

With online booking you won't get anything sent.

It's all handled through email (double-check the email adr when entering).

Most important: after booking, note (write down) the booking nr. which can always take you back to the booking on the website.

You will be mailed some (pdf) file with the booking details.
For long haul travel I suggest you have a printout.

2 hours ago, john west said:

Thanks for the replies and was wondering these flights on line from the airline I assume the tickets can printed from own computers and not intending to travel until the earliest for possibly March 2020 and can one book that far in advance, but first the hassle of the tourist visa to the UK to get for my Family.

I often book my flights to the UK 8 months to a year in advance. I prefer direct so the last few years have used BA to London and then on to Manchester, not the best of airlines but a long way from being the worst. I got offloaded in Qatar a few years back that turned into a nightmare.

They don't really have tickets anymore, at check-in they just enter your passport details and bring up the booking. I put a copy of the reservation from the airline on my phone just in case there is ever a query, but never been necessary.

At the airport just go to a desk, the staff may try and tell you to use the machine but there is little point as you will still need to go to a desk to get the visa checked. Same with the boarding cards, may as well let the desk do it. Good luck.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I often book my flights to the UK 8 months to a year in advance. I prefer direct so the last few years have used BA to London and then on to Manchester, not the best of airlines but a long way from being the worst. I got offloaded in Qatar a few years back that turned into a nightmare.

They don't really have tickets anymore, at check-in they just enter your passport details and bring up the booking. I put a copy of the reservation from the airline on my phone just in case there is ever a query, but never been necessary.

At the airport just go to a desk, the staff may try and tell you to use the machine but there is little point as you will still need to go to a desk to get the visa checked. Same with the boarding cards, may as well let the desk do it. Good luck.

Don't Eva fly MAN-BKK direct? 

Personally BA via London would be almost (if not) at the back of my list, much prefer:-

• Qatar via Doha
  • Emirates via Dubai
  • Finnair via Helsinki
  • KLM Via Amsterdam
  • Turkish AIr via Istanbul 
  • Lufthansa via Frankfurt or Munich 

Maybe Air France via CDG would be slightly worse than BA via Heathrow... Nah, I think I'd even prefer to do that

22 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Personally BA via London would be almost (if not) at the back of my list, much prefer:-

• Qatar via Doha
  • Emirates via Dubai
  • Finnair via Helsinki
  • KLM Via Amsterdam

Maybe Air France via CDG would be slightly worse than BA via Heathrow... Nah, I think I'd even prefer to do that

Everybody has a personal opinion. I have been doing the BKK to UK route a couple of times a year for over 20 years, apart from Finnair done all your list plus a few more.

When something goes wrong you will find out how good, or should I say how bad, Qatar really is.

Eva and China Airlines are the ones I have probably used the most. I never said BA are the best, just the most convenient and I would still use them despite the fact I won a court case against them in 2015 over a cancelled flight and currently have an outstanding claim.

23 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

• Qatar via Doha
  • Emirates via Dubai
  • Finnair via Helsinki
  • KLM Via Amsterdam

All of these give your bum a rest! Emirates via Dxb is good, stopover a couple of days, no extra charge.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:07 AM, john west said:

I never print mine out. Have the ticket on my phone but never been asked for it. Just hand your passport over at check in and they give you your tickets.

23 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

• Qatar via Doha
  • Emirates via Dubai
  • Finnair via Helsinki
  • KLM Via Amsterdam

No airlines fly MAN-BKK direct.I prefer a couple of hours stopover mid journey. (fag break). So Emirates for me. Have used Qatar, Ethiad and Oman Air without problems. Oman Air was "interesting" but personally I liked it. Would use them again.

I dont even bother anymore normally with skyscanner or travel supermarket

Just go straight to Travel Trolley I've had superb service way way over and above what could be expected (including changing unchangeable ticket dates twice). Must be approaching 30 return tickets off them ticketed within hours and simply never a price change

Am sure you'll find someone saying the opposite though.

Archived