Is it really worthwhile getting a VPN

Brer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, rumak said:

i have a smart TV,    What kind of android box did you buy and did you get it here in Thailand?

I don't know how it all works so if anyone can explain that would be nice

The box I bought is a TM95m bought on the net a couple of years ago specified a Thai plug for about $100Aus.

Plugs into power obviously, then cable from the box to your router and another cable from box to HDMI port on your smart TV.

The Android box should then light up.

Box comes with a few preloaded apps like Netflix and Facebook.

Just search the net for live TV apps usually you will find heaps of tutorials on how to load them, can be a little frustrating if your not computer savvy but the tutorials are generally very good. Just view a few tutorials on YouTube first and follow the one you find the easiest to follow.

Good luck.

A VPN will be a furthermore consideration but I don’t think I will bother with one.

18 hours ago, Brer said:

That’s what I thought, got around what the Aussie government are blocking without a VPN and I don’t think watching Millionaire Hot Seat would be considered highly questionable, although maybe by some.

That's bs. A lot of people use the VPN to be able to watch geoblocked channels or streaming sites like Netflix in the US. Many brits like to watch ITV, then you need a VPN.

For safety reasons, no real need these days. There are several real good VPN to choose from. Just google it. 

54 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

VPN 24/7.

If you live inside Thailand there is a real reason you need it.

What’s so different about Thailand then say Australia or Israel.

Please explain.

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

That's bs. A lot of people use the VPN to be able to watch geoblocked channels or streaming sites like Netflix in the US. Many brits like to watch ITV, then you need a VPN.

For safety reasons, no real need these days. There are several real good VPN to choose from. Just google it. 

Why is it bs?

I don’t need a VPN to watch geoblocked channels if I load the livenettv app, I can watch Channels 2,7,9,10, Sky Racing, Fox Footie plus more all Australian channels.

If you want to know how without a VPN for Aussie channels PM me.

Livenettv also contains channels from other countries I.e. Canada, Indonesia, Italy, India etc and more

Tried 3 VPNS for streaming other TV networks out side Thailand, all only lasted about 6 months before streaming networks worked out I was using a VPN, then blocked, waste of money, none of them will guarantee what they offer, just use fancy adds to suck you in.

10 minutes ago, Brer said:

Why is it bs?

I don’t need a VPN to watch geoblocked channels if I load the livenettv app, I can watch Channels 2,7,9,10, Sky Racing, Fox Footie plus more all Australian channels.

If you want to know how without a VPN for Aussie channels PM me.

Livenettv also contains channels from other countries I.e. Canada, Indonesia, Italy, India etc and more

I would be interested how you do this with livenetv? I like to watch aussie tv sometimes, have tried vpn's, however, they all seem to be blocked after a few months.

44 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The only comment I would make on these VPN's, is dont get sucked in to multiple year sign up until you have tested it thoroughly, they seem to suck you in, then the support or service falls down and it sucks !! Be happy before you commit, just like any other long term relationship ????

take it a few months, before the multi yr, then you wont get burned quite so badly.

Also, most of the reputable services have some variety of free trial or guaranteed refund period -- which allows you to test their services for a brief period of time at either no cost or no risk... And then you can decide whether you want to keep it as a paying subscription or not...

And, just fyi, since we're soon approaching Black Friday/Cyber Monday time after Thanksgiving, those two periods of time are when many of the major VPN providers offer annual promotions with legitimately discounted rates... So end of November is a good time to shop for new service or renewals.

11 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Tried 3 VPNS for streaming other TV networks out side Thailand, all only lasted about 6 months before streaming networks worked out I was using a VPN, then blocked, waste of money, none of them will guarantee what they offer, just use fancy adds to suck you in.

There are a couple of VPN that have a money back guarantee. One offer a 45 days money back guarantee. Still several that even Netflix US hasn't cracked yet. 

19 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I had the same problem. I contacted the VPN support and they told me to change the location and that will clear it up. I use VPN to have Hulu from the US. I was using Los Angles as my location and I was blocked by Hulu because they found out I wasn't in the US. So taking the advice of support, I switched my location to Florida and I have never had an issue since. It's been two years now.

I use DNS Proxy on a device (rather than modem) to watch TV outside of Thailand that I otherwise couldn't access. The annual fee is minimal and - so far, so good - I've been able to access everything I want and, if I want, airplay to TV screen. Vastly cheaper than True or AIS TV options.

Nothing questionable about having a VPN. Its especially important if you use public wifi. My main reason for getting a VPN is so I can watch all live F1 action. The F1 TV app works really well if I use a USA IP. Plus you can save heaps of mo ey when booking accomodation or flights etc

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Have you tried https://www.ukexpatvpn.com/

Excellent if you only need connection to UK TV

1 minute ago, lelapin said:

Have you tried https://www.ukexpatvpn.com/

Excellent if you only need connection to UK TV

This one look promising for UK Tv as it also has 3 month packages so you can have a good test without commitment to years, seems more genuine in approach and offer etc. I might try this on a rolling 3 month package when my current one ends.

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

This one look promising for UK Tv as it also has 3 month packages so you can have a good test without commitment to years, seems more genuine in approach and offer etc. I might try this on a rolling 3 month package when my current one ends.

I started with one month and as I was happy with them I switched to 3 month now. On the very rare occasion there is a problem with BBC IPlayer detecting you are outside the UK it is resolved by UK Expat within minutes.

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

For me, I can use to watch or download from UK tv channels. e.g. BBC iPlayer.

I also use for online banking, and to access some news sites and newspapers from outside Thailand.

Quite funny to see how online adverts change according to your VPN location.

Exactly!

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I've been using a very reliable VPN service for at least 12 years now to access UK TV. There is the occasional hiccup when the BBC latch on to them but the problem is always quickly resolved.

And amazingly, I'm still paying the same subscription that I was when I signed up all those years ago.

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

I use the free ProtonVPN on my Android phone and computer.  I also use the free built-in VPN from the Opera browser on my computer.  Works for me.  Costs nothing.

ProtonVPN and the built-in Opera VPN is just for safety. I don't think you can access for example Netflix US or ITV-player in the UK.

3 hours ago, rumak said:

i have a smart TV,    What kind of android box did you buy and did you get it here in Thailand?

I don't know how it all works so if anyone can explain that would be nice

I had the same misgivings as you until I looked at a box connected to a friend's tv. They are relatively simple but do not work with the same logic as your PC software so there can be lot of trial and error to achieve what you want.

Mine was loaded with multiple apps, I could never use them all. It is a TX3 mini but next time I would get something better and definitely with 5Ghz internet connection if you are on fibre. It can use wifi from your router but have found much better speed/reception with a CAT5e cable from the router to the box.

There are so many on Lazada that it difficult to choose, but take the plunge as they are worth it.

22 hours ago, johng said:

The old saying...if you're not doing anything wrong then what have you got to worry about ?

( not that I believe/advocate that saying)

I don't subscribe to a VPN either..as there isn't a "need to"  for me, plus unless ( and even if you did )

you have set the VPN up yourself at both ends there is no real guarantee it will make things "safer"   

ie: instead of trusting your ISP you  instead trust an "unknown" company or fly by night outfit  that they can't/won't snoop on you.  I'm sure there must be some trustworthy VPN providers but who's to tell for sure..they will all say they are the best etc etc.

VPN can also slow down your internet...sometimes though it can speed it up,  if the ISP is throttling you, now with fiber in wide use the throttling is not so needed.

If it works leave it alone..is another saying I (mostly) subscribe to   ( if it ain't broke don't fix it )

yeah need it for stupid AU  "not licenced"  to send their <deleted>ty news overseas.. what a nanny state indeed....

Depends on your purpose - perfect for getting around geo-blocks.

The most valid use-case for a VPN is connecting to the internet from within a country that has internet restrictions/strict censorship rules.
Use your best judgement.

A VPN will significantly slow down your browsing speed though.

Archived