Americans must fly home every year to do tax return or can it done by post/consulate?

nglodnig

9 hours ago, Rockhopper said:

I have many investments and properties in America and I have lived in Chiang Mai for 7 years. I have always used H&R Block and get a refund every year. Just send them the information from investments and properties and let them run with it. Fly back to America every year? Not at all.

yep.  All my stuff is online.  I don't have properties but my Traditional IRA, ROTH IRA, regular Brokerage accounts hold all my stocks, bond, funds etc, and Etrade dutifully posts the 1099s online.  Almost unbelievable in this modern age, my current employer Northrop Grumman MAILS out the W-2s!  Yes they do not have them online!  We can't even access our pay stubs online from home.  The stubs/statements can only be accessed through the Northrop Intranet while at work on their network!  But, since I shortly won't be working, W-2s won't be an issue. 

It looks like the Social Security folks issue some sort of 1099 to account for the SSA benefits that in general are taxable?  Is that accessed online through their website? 

Archived