Savannakhet Non-O (Retirement) question

Hi all.

When I come back from the US in January, I need to get a new non-O (retirement) visa. I have been thinking of doing a TM87 change visa from visa exempt to non-O (retirement) at the Chiang Mai IO but it looks like that will be a general pain. Someone in another topic - ubonjoe, if I remember correctly -  suggested just getting a non-O at Savannakhet. After looking at the requirements, it does seem to be more straightforward that dealing with CM. I do have a couple of questions though. The requirements set out on the consulate web page are:

Required documents

1. Visa application form [Download] which is completely filled out and signed by the applicant
  2. Original passport or travel document (must not expire within 180 days and contain at least two complete empty visa pages) and A copy of passport (The page(s) shows the applicant’s photo, name, date, and place of birth and the expiration date of passport)
  3. Two (2) photos of the applicant (3.5 x 4.5 cm, taken within 6 months)
  4. Bank statement (minimum of THB 800,000) or Certification of Income (minimum of THB 65,000 monthly)
  5. Official letter from the concerned Embassy/Consulate of applicant's nationality
  6. Visa Fee: 2,000 Baht (Single Entry)

For No. 4, can I just use copies of my savings account passbook from Bangkok Bank? Do I need a bank letter or something similar?

For No. 5, I have no idea what is meant. Is is a standard form from the US Consulate stating I am a US citizen? Never heard of such a document so I am clueless.

Everything else seems pretty straightforward, however, I would appreciate any tips that might be offered from folks that have done a non-O (retirement) visa recently. 

Thanks

David

1 hour ago, Genericnic said:

For No. 5, I have no idea what is meant. Is is a standard form from the US Consulate stating I am a US citizen? Never heard of such a document so I am clueless.

That is an form that just says you are an American Citizen signed by you and the Embassy.  You would think having a American Passport you wouldn't need it.  But you do. It also cost you $50.

Edit:  I don't know who screws us more than Embassy or the Thai Immigrations. 

Edited by Mango Bob
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Regarding No. 4, since the US Embassy stopped issuing income letters in late 2018 (as did the UK and AU embassies) you would need the letter from the Thai bank confirming you have Bt800K in a Thai bank.  

No problem getting that from Bangkok Bank. How recent does it have to be? I should be able to get the letter from the Bangkok Bank in Mukdahan before I cross the border but it would be one or two days old by the time I filed for the visa.

David

4 minutes ago, Aforek said:

On the application, it's just written " non immigrant visa "; is it O visa or O-A ? , because if it's O-A , it's usefulness, because we ask the O to avoid the O-A 

Based on the types of visas listed on the Savannakhet website, they do not issue O-A visas, only non-O.

David

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

No problem getting that from Bangkok Bank. How recent does it have to be? I should be able to get the letter from the Bangkok Bank in Mukdahan before I cross the border but it would be one or two days old by the time I filed for the visa.

David

Hopefully someone who has got a non-o retirement at Savannakhet or Vientiane will answer but I would think up to one week would be OK.  As you mentioned, it would be tough in getting a letter that's much fresher than one or two days old. 

I would get one from your local branch the day before you begin your trip which will probably be 1-3 days before you apply for the non-O.....don't take the chance of hoping to be able to get a letter at a branch just before crossing the border as Murphy's Law will surely come into play.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genericnic said:

5. Official letter from the concerned Embassy/Consulate of applicant's nationality

I think that is an error in translation.

If you translate the Thai version it states this.

"5. Certificate of retirement from the embassy of that person with that nationality"

See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/savannakhet/th/services/9736/106949-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"-(For-the-purpose.html

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

"5. Certificate of retirement from the embassy of that person with that nationality"

See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/savannakhet/th/services/9736/106949-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"-(For-the-purpose.html

Hmmm. Well that is a whole different matter then. Good to know before paying $50 for the one saying I am a US citizen. Of course it is going to be $50 either way. LOL

David

I recently posted a similar question here but I received no helpful advice at all.

My plan is to give Savannakhet Consulate a print out of my Australian bank account balance (fingers crossed).

As for the "Certificate of retirement" issue, as we know, there is no such thing. Some have suggested using a statutory declaration from one's Embassy.

There is a problem however, getting any kind of document from the Australian Embassy in Bangkok. (please see attached image).

2 points to note:

1. They say stat decs will not be issued "for use outside Australia".
  2. They state categorically that they "will not provide supporting documents for Thai Visa applications".

This nasty, bloody minded attitude is hard to comprehend, but seems to fit in nicely with the general atmosphere of persecution that expats experience these days in Thailand.

It's interesting to note that the Aussie Department of Home Affairs collaborates in making life difficult for its citizens.

There are 2 possible solutions to this conundrum.

1. Convince them the stat dec is for something else not visa related (might need to use NLP or jedi mind control skills)
  2. Try a Aussie Embassy in a different country - maybe the one in Vientiane (they don't have the same rude notice on their website).

I have already prepared a statutory declaration and I'm planning to try to get it signed at the Embassy this week. If they refuse I will try Vientiane.

It would be great to hear from Ubon Joe or anybody who has solid experience on this!

notarial_services.JPG

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It seems they say that this document must be written in Thai, right ? 

"Document in foreign languages must be translated into Thai. If translated into English, it should be notarized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/ consular mission."

Edited by Aforek

2 minutes ago, Aforek said:

It seems they say that this document must be written in Thai, right ? 

Would be great to hear from someone who has actually done this so they can enlighten us as to what the correct procedure is.

David

I take the solution "Savannakhet " to change my O-A visa in O visa; I have to do it very soon (in 10 days ) 

for money, can I stay only with my thai bahts , even to spend money in Savannakhet or I

have to use lao money ( what's the name ? ) or USD ? 

For the paper from embassy, if I have not it, in my passeport it's written " retired " for the O-A visa , and my nationality ( of course ), maybe it's enough, or I ask a "tourist visa " ( need to buy a plane ticket out of Thailand even if I don't use it ) 

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

I take the solution "Savannakhet " to change my O-A visa in O visa; I have to do it very soon (in 10 days ) 

for money, can I stay only with my thai bahts , even to spend money in Savannakhet or I

have to use lao money ( what's the name ? ) or USD ? 

If your OA visa is still valid they will not issue a non-o visa.

Best not to rush into a getting a non-o visa since every rule indicates it is only for OA visas issued tomorrow or after.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aforek said:

On the application, it's just written " non immigrant visa "; is it O visa or O-A ? , because if it's O-A , it's usefulness, because we ask the O to avoid the O-A 

The O-A is only available in your home country or country of legal residence.

3 hours ago, Aforek said:

my visa is valid until nov 14 th; I intend to leave Thailand on nov 11 th

Do you plan to apply at the Savannakhet Consulate on or before 14 Nov?  Is so and assuming ubonjoe is right that they will not approve another visa when another visa is still valid, then 15 Nov would be the soonest you could apply. 

The 15th is Friday and the new visa is not issued until the next business day which would be 18 Nov/Monday.  

I sure would like to hear from some folks who have recently applied for a new visa at Savannakhet or Vientiane "before" their old visa has expired....like a few days before....to confirm what ubonjoe has said.   It just seems strange they would not allow renewal "just before" expiration of another visa since it can be hard to line-up expiration date, transportation/hotel reservations, weekends, appointments, etc.

I'm really interested in this as my non-OA is valid thru 2 Oct 2020 which is a Friday.  If they will not approve a new/different visa until the current one has expired then that means I have Saturday and Sunday dead time before I could apply for a new visa hopefully on 5 Oct/a Monday....then hopefully I would get the new visa next business day on 6 Oct/Tuesday.  Then finally be able to head back to Thailand on late Tuesday or Wednesday.   But if they will approve another visa just before the old one expires then than means I could cut down the number of dead days over a weekend, etc.  

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Do you plan to apply at the Savannakhet Consulate on or before 14 Nov?  Is so and assuming ubonjoe is right that they will not approve another visa when another visa is still valid, then 15 Nov would be the soonest you could apply. 

The 15th is Friday and the new visa is not issued until the next business day which would be 18 Nov/Monday.  

First I thought that the visa stopped when we go out of the country ; but ok,  I can ask for it on 15 nov; I think that with the lao visa obtained at the border, I can stay one month, right ?

but anyway, I wait tomorrow and the next days to see how it works for the O-A, because of course if I can have an extension, no need of visa O ( but 10 days ago my I.O told me I must have a Thai insurance , but she was not sure )  ; next week, we know how it works 

Edited by Aforek

20 minutes ago, Aforek said:

First I thought that the visa stopped when we go out of the country ; but ok,  I can ask for it on 15 nov; I think that with the lao visa obtained at the border, I can stay one month, right ?

but anyway, I wait tomorrow and the next days to see how it works for the O-A, because of course if I can have an extension, no need of visa O ( but 10 days ago my I.O told me I must have a Thai insurance , but she was not sure )  ; next week, we know how it works 

Yes, if you exit Thailand on your current OA visa/retirement extension of stay "without getting a re-entry permit" to keep the extension alive until it normal expiration date then the once stamped out of Thailand that extension is no good/invalid/cancelled/whatever the right word is.

However, I have got the impression/feedback from ubonjoe that the Vientiane/Savannakhet embassy/consulate still see the OA extension as not being expired.   But I sure would like some confirmation from people who have recently attempt to get a new visa before their old one has expired.  Got a replacement a little early simply because of how various issues and dates lined up.

And Yes, a Laos visa allows you to stay 30 days in Laos.

Please keep us up to date on how your trip goes....especially if you apply for the non-O a little before your current non-oa extension of stay is expired.   I sure would like to see some recent feedback on some one attempting such.  Thanks.

Edited by Pib

On 10/29/2019 at 7:53 PM, Aforek said:

You can only apply for an O-A Visa in your home country.

OK, I think I have it all mostly sorted out. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Just on small question about the visa application. The form asks for "Name, Address and Telephone No. of a Guarantor in Lao PDR" and also in Thailand. Any idea on what they mean by guarantor? 

David

11 hours ago, Genericnic said:

Just on small question about the visa application. The form asks for "Name, Address and Telephone No. of a Guarantor in Lao PDR" and also in Thailand. Any idea on what they mean by guarantor? 

Leave the Lao one blank and put self for the Thai one.

Guarantor in this cased means a reference.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Leave the Lao one blank and put self for the Thai one.

Guarantor in this cased means a reference.

THANKS for all the replies here, they really help.

The thread here answers all i wanted to ask but was too ashamed...

But what question is still left open : WHAT THE HECK IS THE "LETTER FROM EMBASSY"

(section 5 in the embassy requirements)?

i believe this was the original question and it remains unclear.

is is a declarion i make by myself and just take to the embassy?

or is it a letter prepared by the embassy, refering to my past emplyment?

becasue acctually, i don't really want to retire now, i just want the retirement extention...

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 5:18 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

But what question is still left open : WHAT THE HECK IS THE "LETTER FROM EMBASSY"

(section 5 in the embassy requirements)?

Now I know what is this letter; I come from my immigration and she told me that it's the letter with the amount of the monthly pension, letter that US, UK embassies don't want to make any more  ( it shows that you receive a monthly pension ) 

4 minutes ago, Aforek said:

Now I know what is this letter; I come from my immigration and she told me that it's the letter with the amount of the monthly pension, letter that US, UK embassies don't want to make any more  ( it shows that you receive a monthly pension ) 

@Aforek Thanks. That is helpful. Which immigration office was that? What did you end up using for what they wanted?

Thanks

David

1 hour ago, Genericnic said:

@Aforek Thanks. That is helpful. Which immigration office was that? What did you end up using for what they wanted?

Thanks

David

Prachinburi immigration ; I spoke of what Savannakhet wanted ( and her immigration, too ) , and she showed me the " déclaration de revenu " of my embassy ( France ) 

because I didn't have it, I got only a tourist visa, and she didn't want to change it in "visa non-O retirement  ; she told me to return to Savannakhet, but now at least I know what they want ( btw, is there an other place where I can have my tourist visa changed in O-retirement , just to avoid to leave Thailand again ? ) 

the officier in Savannakhet was ready to give me the visa and he asked me for the letter, because I didn't have, he refused the Visa O; it means that this letter is very important 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

up for a last question

the paper from the embassy ( for me, revenue certificate ), can I have it one  month in advance or must be a few days in advance ( one week ) ? 

the Savannakhet consulate asks that documents in English must be translated in Thai; 

Does it mean that the  revenue certificate must be translate in English too ? 

thanks