Testing ‘going well’ on BTS Northern extension

webfact

Testing ‘going well’ on BTS Northern extension 

By The Nation

800_d8de81dad1e35cf.jpg?v=1572402437

BTS Group is currently testing the track on the four-station extension of the Skytrain Green Line, which is expecting to open in December. 

According to Bangkok Mass Transit System’s executive director, Surapong Laoha-Unya, the testing is being conducted from the stations of Phahonyothin 24, Ratchayothin, Senanikom, and Kasetsart University, which are the part of the BTS Skytrain Green Line extension, Mo Chit-Saphan Mai-Ku Khot section.

In addition to the track, testing is being undertaken on system integration, namely signal systems and communication systems, to make sure that the whole system runs smoothly. The results so far are satisfactory. 

Tests will be held every day after the rush hour until November and will be followed by a trial run before the opening of the new stations in December. 

Surapong added that 100 staff are being prepared to support the extension including Ku Khot station which will open next year.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377869

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-30

This is good news. It is about 12.6 kms from Mo Chit to Ku Khot and it has taken about 5 years construction to get that far. About a rate of 2.5 kms per year. It was originally intended to open in 2017. So in Thai time they haven't done too bad really.

I wonder how this rate will compare with the HS train line between Don Mueang and U Tapao which is 220 km. The Chinese will need to do better than this otherwise PM Prayut and the rest of us will long be dead before that line ever opens.

14 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

This is good news. It is about 12.6 kms from Mo Chit to Ku Khot and it has taken about 5 years construction to get that far. About a rate of 2.5 kms per year. It was originally intended to open in 2017. So in Thai time they haven't done too bad really.

I wonder how this rate will compare with the HS train line between Don Mueang and U Tapao which is 220 km (...)

At 2.5km/year that would only take 88 years, so perhaps as early as 2110, if construction started in 2022...

5 hours ago, Cadbury said:

I wonder how this rate will compare with the HS train line between Don Mueang and U Tapao which is 220 km. The Chinese will need to do better than this otherwise PM Prayut and the rest of us will long be dead before that line ever opens.

Your post is erroneous. The northern green line extension to khu Khot was started to be built in 2016 with 2020 as the target. They are on course for that. The first four stops to Kaset will be open on December 5th this year. It is amazing what they have done and though traffic has been severe the entire area of Ratchayothin is undergoing a remarkable and much needed renewal. Property prices are skyrocketing - quite handy as I live there. In fact I have lived there for 15 years and now we are seeing great improvements. 

Rooster

Sorry. I have been travelling this road route from Mo Chit for the last 5 years to get to my hospital in Anusawari and I have been watching it's slow progress in all those years. Not sure where you get your information but I assure you what I say is true.

When it opens this extension will be an immediate success unlike the line out to  Bangyai that struggled to turn a profit. 

It will go some way to relieve the clot of commuters that have always congealed around the Lad Phrao junction, one of the cities worst bottlenecks.

21 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Au contraire, your dates and timeline are incorrect. Not sure where 2017 came from?

The tender for the ext closed on 30 Sept 2014, successful bids were announced in December 2014 and the contract wasn't signed until early 3 April 2015! Even then there was further delays for a few months due to prolonged meetings with between the MRTA, BMA, contractors and police regarding demolition timing of the Phahon yothin intersection overpass and Kasert overpass.

Actual construction started in August 2015 (officially on 8 Sept 2015) for an opening date of Dec 2019 for the full extension. Given that all BTS exts have opened at least 1-2 years late, this extension is actually doing okay in the circumstances insofar that some of it is actually opening on time.

What you should be justly criticizing is the fact that this extension was first slated to open in 2008 and since the 2005 election and subsequent elections, successive govts promised to start construction the following year after they were elected (or undertook a coup). 

22 hours ago, justin case said:

when will there be a line to the old airport?

The SRT Dark Red line from Bang Sue to DMK is currently scheduled to open January 2021 from the original date of late 2016 (construction started after a 2 year contract dispute delay in May 2013). The opening may change to a late 2020 date.

When this commuter line is eventually completed (sometime in the next 20-30 years) it will eventually be 88kms ling running from Thammasat uni to Mahachai via Hualumphong. The 10km northern extension from Rangsit to Tham uni is due to be tendered in the next few months. 

The first 2 sets of rolling stock just arrived from Japan. These were only ordered in 2016!

8 minutes ago, Lakegeneve said:

Au contraire, your dates and timeline are incorrect. Not sure where 2017 came from?

The tender for the ext closed on 30 Sept 2014, successful bids were announced in December 2014 and the contract wasn't signed until early 3 April 2015! Even then there was further delays for a few months due to prolonged meetings with between the MRTA, BMA, contractors and police regarding demolition timing of the Phahon yothin intersection overpass and Kasert overpass.

Actual construction started in August 2015 (officially on 8 Sept 2015) for an opening date of Dec 2019 for the full extension. Given that all BTS exts have opened at least 1-2 years late, this extension is actually doing okay in the circumstances insofar that some of it is actually opening on time.

What you should be justly criticizing is the fact that this extension was first slated to open in 2008 and since the 2005 election and subsequent elections, successive govts promised to start construction the following year after they were elected (or undertook a coup). 

Do you have to keep repeating yourself with your au contraires? Your copying and pasting from Wiki is remarkably good.

I must confess the original opening time set for this Northern section was 2018 and NOT 2017 (the link below confirms that). Please forgive me. We may be splitting straws but it is almost 2 years behind schedule after all.

I remind you it has still not yet opened; there is plenty of time left for bits and pieces to fall off and for delays to occur.

All I know is that I have been watching and waiting almost 5 years for this line to open so that I could catch the it to get to my doctor at the Central General Hospital in Anusawari. Actual observations rather than Wiki.

The main point of my earlier comment which you choose to ignore was that if it takes 5 years (or thereabouts) to build a slow speed rail track at an average construction rate of 2.5 km per year then how long will it take for the HS Track from Don Mueang to U Tapao to be built which is 220 km. I realise they are completely different types of tracks but allowing for the expertise of Chinese factor rather than the Thai factor would you care to give an estimate? Perhaps Wiki might again help you with that one.

Over and out!

https://www.railway-technology.com/projects/bangkok-mass-rapid-transit-green-line-extension/

COMPLETION

Southern Extension by 2017 and Northern Extension by 2018

19 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

I hope we don't get a repeat of the wheelchair ramp to nowhere.

Hopefully not although that was the fault of the architects and civil contractors (MRTA) and NOT BTS themselves.

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Hopefully not although that was the fault of the architects and civil contractors (MRTA) and NOT BTS themselves.

Hope so. But it seems BTS don't do any oversight themselves and just learn about these mistakes from members of the public. That is a serious worry in itself.

To quote:

"Less than two weeks after a slew of new BTS stations opened in southeast metro Bangkok, netizens pointed a glaring oversight at one of them an inaccessible wheelchair access ramp."

Do you have to keep repeating yourself with your au contraires? Your copying and pasting from Wiki is remarkably good.

I must confess the original opening time set for this Northern section was 2018 and NOT 2017 (the link below confirms that). Please forgive me. We may be splitting straws but it is almost 2 years behind schedule after all.

I remind you it has still not yet opened; there is plenty of time left for bits and pieces to fall off and for delays to occur.

All I know is that I have been watching and waiting almost 5 years for this line to open so that I could catch the it to get to my doctor at the Central General Hospital in Anusawari. Actual observations rather than Wiki.

The main point of my earlier comment which you choose to ignore was that if it takes 5 years (or thereabouts) to build a slow speed rail track at an average construction rate of 2.5 km per year then how long will it take for the HS Track from Don Mueang to U Tapao to be built which is 220 km. I realise they are completely different types of tracks but allowing for the expertise of Chinese factor rather than the Thai factor would you care to give an estimate? Perhaps Wiki might again help you with that one.

Over and out!

https://www.railway-technology.com/projects/bangkok-mass-rapid-transit-green-line-extension/

COMPLETION

Wow.  It is quite clear to anyone that reads the transport threads here that Lakegeneve is clearly on "the inside" (as is Crossey), he works on these projects and is very close to the decision making process.  And we appreciate his insight.  And he tends not to get involved in any of the other nonsense threads, just contributes factually to the mass transit threads.

It's so easy to sit there and snipe from behind your keyboard.  I haven't checked Wikipedia, but if there are similarities did you ever consider that perhaps LG himself edits and contributes to the Wiki articles just as he contributes to these?   Someone has to, they don't write themselves.

A right bundle of joy aren't you.  Someone shares pictures of the work in progress - and on track - and rather than thank them or say anything positive the best you can do is say that you hope someone doesn't mess up the wheelchair ramp because a contractor did it once, and there are hundreds of ramps that have no issues.

A walking talking bundle of pessimism.

5 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

A right bundle of joy aren't you.  Someone shares pictures of the work in progress - and on track - and rather than thank them or say anything positive the best you can do is say that you hope someone doesn't mess up the wheelchair ramp because a contractor did it once, and there are hundreds of ramps that have no issues.

A walking talking bundle of pessimism.

A walking bundle of factuality I would say. You are in denial of the incompetence and oversight of the BTS. Please explain how this stuff up could ever happen. Your excuses don't cut it.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

A walking bundle of factuality I would say. You are in denial of the incompetence and oversight of the BTS. Please explain how this stuff up could ever happen. Your excuses don't cut it.

It happened once.  And yes, it was utterly incompetent and ridiculous and showed the complete lack of coordination between Thai government agencies.

But the post was about the BTS extension progress going well, according to plan.  And generally the BTS is a fantastic system - not without its issues - but generally very very good; certainly much more pleasant to travel on then, say, the Tube.  Clean, reliable, modern, and (more and more so) quite extensive.

So you think by pointing out one mistake that was not repeated anywhere else on the system, when this thread was not even anything to do with that (and it was in fact an entirely different agency, not the BTS), that makes you a walking bundle of factuality, and not negativity?

Ok, up to you.

22 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Over and out!

COMPLETION

There is no copying and pasting from anywhere. However, I do always doubled check my dates from what I have previously written. ???? Like many others, I have closely followed the slow progression of mass transit in BKK for over 25 years. 

There is plenty to be critical of in relation to this BTS extension time frame (originally was slated 08 as I stated), the slow expansion of the BTS network (all extensions have opened at least 1-2 years late) and the overall development of BKKs mass transit network. You'll find plenty of objective, factual posts by me being critical of many, many issues. By all means, be critical where it is warranted and based on facts. We all understand the frustration with new metro lines taking years longer than they should. Indeed, this extension has always been my go to example of what is wrong with the policy making framework of implementing new metro lines in Bangkok. 

(Noting that this line was approved by different Cabinets in 06, 08, 09 & 2011 before the tender was finally awarded in Dec 2014! That right there should be your major criticism regarding the delay of this extension - there is no accountability for the policy delays by successive govts.)

However, your main point referred to incorrect dates and that needed correction as no where official was there any statement when the contract was signed in April 2015 that the ext would open in 2018. The actual construction time frame in the contract was 1350 days and you have to take that from the start date once they have access to the site/route You can find dozens of thai press articles and even the press release on the MRTA site which state a 2019 opening after the contract was signed - an easy google search. )Site access is a major reason why the start of construction for the ARL, the Light red line and the Dark red line, and MRT Blue lines were all respectively delayed).  Again, construction started in late August/ early Sept 2015 after the delays to resolve the overpass demolition schedule. Add 1350 days from then.

The RT article that you subsequently posted is actually meaningless regarding dates as it was written before the tender was awarded, let alone the contract signed. Note that it refers to contracts awarded in 2013 for the Southern ext, but nothing specific thereafter in relation to contracts for both projects. It doesn't mention the northern exts contract being signed in April 2015 so that is a big hint. (Btw it states "It is expected to be completed in 2018 or 2019", not just "northern extension by 2018" as you have quoted.) RT does these generic overviews for various cities metro plans but they rarely update them so they do become outdated quickly

I can't agree with your flippant, "there is plenty of time left for bits and pieces to fall off and for delays to occur." This extension has actually been built fairy well compared to previous extensions and the stations are well designed compared to previous designs (Crossy can add more piucs and comments if he wishes!) And in the main, the first 1/3 of the ext opening on time is very good in the historical context.

Your other main point is sort of moot. You can't really compare building a HSR line with a metro line. They are completely difference projects with different design requirements, right of way limitations and construction issues. The fact that the Chinese can build a 500km HSR line in 5 years really has little relation to them taking 5 years to build a 35km metro line in Shanghai in a highly urban environment. I don't think that it is worth make such a comparison, It really is an apples and oranges with respect. If you wish to make a relevant comparisons compare the rapid construction and expansion of the Delhi metro system to Bangkoks slowly expansion with consistent delays. That would be more useful and much of that relates to the policy framework and decision making processes prior to tender rather than construction delays - which still do frequently occur.

Lastly, I sysmpatghise that you have been waiting for this ext to open - as has everyone along the Phahon yothin corridor. However, at least you haven't been waiting for the SRT Dark Red line to open. After a 2 year contract dispute delayed the tender, construction finally started in May 2013 for a late 2016 opening. Currently, it will open in Jan 2021!!! Now that's something to be flipping mad about if you travel to/from Rangsit every day.

Perhaps to add the list of future BTS extensions which may be of some interest to some;

1) Suk line eastern ext, Kheha to Bang Poo - 4 stations, 7.2 kms. Potential tender in next 18 months.

2) Suk line northern ext, Khu Khot to Lam Lukka (eastern ring rd) - 4-5 stations, 9 kms. Potential tender in 2-3 years

3) Silom line southern ext, Bang Wah to Taling Chan - 5-6 station, 7kms. EIA done but BMA project so timing is uncertain.

4) Silom line west ext, Nat stadium to Yot Se - 1-2 stations, 2kms. Will depend on when the SRT Dark red line is extended to Hua Lumphong so potentially 5-10 years away.

There is also still the potential of the long planned Bang Na spur line from Udom Suk along Bang Na-Trat rd to the future southern terminal at BKK airport but this is currently more likely to end up being a separate light rail line.

6 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

There is no copying and pasting from anywhere. However, I do always doubled check my dates from what I have previously written. ???? Like many others, I have closely followed the slow progression of mass transit in BKK for over 25 years. 

There is plenty to be critical of in relation to this BTS extension time frame (originally was slated 08 as I stated), the slow expansion of the BTS network (all extensions have opened at least 1-2 years late) and the overall development of BKKs mass transit network. You'll find plenty of objective, factual posts by me being critical of many, many issues. By all means, be critical where it is warranted and based on facts. We all understand the frustration with new metro lines taking years longer than they should. Indeed, this extension has always been my go to example of what is wrong with the policy making framework of implementing new metro lines in Bangkok. 

(Noting that this line was approved by different Cabinets in 06, 08, 09 & 2011 before the tender was finally awarded in Dec 2014! That right there should be your major criticism regarding the delay of this extension - there is no accountability for the policy delays by successive govts.)

However, your main point referred to incorrect dates and that needed correction as no where official was there any statement when the contract was signed in April 2015 that the ext would open in 2018. The actual construction time frame in the contract was 1350 days and you have to take that from the start date once they have access to the site/route You can find dozens of thai press articles and even the press release on the MRTA site which state a 2019 opening after the contract was signed - an easy google search. )Site access is a major reason why the start of construction for the ARL, the Light red line and the Dark red line, and MRT Blue lines were all respectively delayed).  Again, construction started in late August/ early Sept 2015 after the delays to resolve the overpass demolition schedule. Add 1350 days from then.

The RT article that you subsequently posted is actually meaningless regarding dates as it was written before the tender was awarded, let alone the contract signed. Note that it refers to contracts awarded in 2013 for the Southern ext, but nothing specific thereafter in relation to contracts for both projects. It doesn't mention the northern exts contract being signed in April 2015 so that is a big hint. (Btw it states "It is expected to be completed in 2018 or 2019", not just "northern extension by 2018" as you have quoted.) RT does these generic overviews for various cities metro plans but they rarely update them so they do become outdated quickly

I can't agree with your flippant, "there is plenty of time left for bits and pieces to fall off and for delays to occur." This extension has actually been built fairy well compared to previous extensions and the stations are well designed compared to previous designs (Crossy can add more piucs and comments if he wishes!) And in the main, the first 1/3 of the ext opening on time is very good in the historical context.

Your other main point is sort of moot. You can't really compare building a HSR line with a metro line. They are completely difference projects with different design requirements, right of way limitations and construction issues. The fact that the Chinese can build a 500km HSR line in 5 years really has little relation to them taking 5 years to build a 35km metro line in Shanghai in a highly urban environment. I don't think that it is worth make such a comparison, It really is an apples and oranges with respect. If you wish to make a relevant comparisons compare the rapid construction and expansion of the Delhi metro system to Bangkoks slowly expansion with consistent delays. That would be more useful and much of that relates to the policy framework and decision making processes prior to tender rather than construction delays - which still do frequently occur.

Lastly, I sysmpatghise that you have been waiting for this ext to open - as has everyone along the Phahon yothin corridor. However, at least you haven't been waiting for the SRT Dark Red line to open. After a 2 year contract dispute delayed the tender, construction finally started in May 2013 for a late 2016 opening. Currently, it will open in Jan 2021!!! Now that's something to be flipping mad about if you travel to/from Rangsit every day.

Thank you for your detailed response. I appreciate it. I guess I get a bit excited about it because I have been going past it since the day it was started. First to get to my unit and later now to get to my doctor. I suppose rather than be grumpy I should be happy and thankful on my next visit I can catch the train to the hospital door, or nearby.

I know what you mean about comparing the BTS and HS rail lines. I was just tongue in cheek and stirring the pot given the nonsense that has prevailed over the signing of the contract with the CP Group and the historical incompetence and corruption of the SRT.

The evolvement of this rail link, if it ever does evolve and not get deferred by another coup, will be interesting to watch. 

With these extensions, will there be more carriages/carts (excuse my English) added ?  I think 3-4 been the standard for a while, and struggles during the rush and beyond.

Hopefully with added stations, they can do more "rolling stock" across the network.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:05 PM, Lakegeneve said:

Perhaps to add the list of future BTS extensions which may be of some interest to some;

1) Suk line eastern ext, Kheha to Bang Poo - 4 stations, 7.2 kms. Potential tender in next 18 months.

2) Suk line northern ext, Khu Khot to Lam Lukka (eastern ring rd) - 4-5 stations, 9 kms. Potential tender in 2-3 years

3) Silom line southern ext, Bang Wah to Taling Chan - 5-6 station, 7kms. EIA done but BMA project so timing is uncertain.

4) Silom line west ext, Nat stadium to Yot Se - 1-2 stations, 2kms. Will depend on when the SRT Dark red line is extended to Hua Lumphong so potentially 5-10 years away.

There is also still the potential of the long planned Bang Na spur line from Udom Suk along Bang Na-Trat rd to the future southern terminal at BKK airport but this is currently more likely to end up being a separate light rail line.

A good news up date. Travelled that northern extension in a taxi as I have been doing for all those construction years I was pleased to observe hundreds of workers at ground level doing the finishing touches, both heavy and light duty landscape work. Work at ground level had been lifeless by comparison for many months before hand. Looks like the predicted opening for December is on target.

Another pleasant surprise waiting for me when I arrived at the BTS station at Bang Wa. The new MRT line from Bang Wa to Lak Song had started operation. That is a route I travel from time to time and it will now give me the option of a through route from Sukhumvit (Asoke) to Lak Song rather than the BTS route from Siam to Bang Wa and then baht bus to Lak Song.

What a pity MRT will not accept my Rabbit card which I normally use on the BTS routes, even in this day and age of Thailand 4.0 which I hear Prayut speak of on many occasions. 

Archived