Thailand Post handling eight million parcels a day

webfact

Thailand Post handling eight million parcels a day

By The Nation

800_3cf34ce234e8c79.jpeg?v=1572420635

Thailand Post Co Ltd is promoting its EMS delivery service and encouraging customers to ship their goods in the afternoon so they arrive at their destinations the next morning.

The firm said in a press release on Wednesday (October 30) that it handles more than eight million parcels a day and forecasts the total for 2019 to surpass three billion. 

Recent improvements at Thailand Post include Cash on Delivery (COD), Express Mail Service (EMS) and 24-hour-365-day service.

President Smorn Terdthampiboon said the firm had remained committed this year to developing its logistics and other services in terms of delivery, safety and speed, and responded to the growth of e-commerce. 

The Ministry of Digital Economy and Society’s Electronic Transactions Development Agency (ETDA) has placed the value of e-commerce in Thailand between 8 and 10 per cent and said it is steadily growing from Bt3 trillion in 2018. 

With continuing confidence and use of e-payment plus convenient and speedy shipping, consumers are continually turning to online shopping.

The number of parcels shipped through the postal service will continuously increase as a result. There are 8 million parcels shipped through 10,000 postal networks nationwide every day. The number reflects the public’s confidence in the postal services, and that too is likely to increase. 

Smorn pointed out that COD allows recipients to make payments directly to the postman upon receiving packages via the Wallet@POST app. Recipients can also use the Mobile Banking app, which improves the quality and ease of use of EMS.

Customers can send parcels before ‪11am‬ in the Bangkok area and the parcels will reach their destination the same day. Parcels sent between Metro Bangkok and Mueang district before ‪5pm will get there the following day. 

The 24-hour-365-day postal service allows senders to deliver parcels even on holidays from the post offices at the Street Ratchada, Suvarnabhumi Airport and Laksi EMS centre. This service will gradually be expanded to other areas.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30377887

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-30

nothing about the number held in postmans house, thrown on waste ground, or closed every time there is a holiday, so not 24/7, 365 either.

To say nothing of the fact you must still use only cash at the counter which is so archaic.

They have do to sonething as their service must be being eroded by the likes of Kerry and others that have exploded over recent years.

20 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

nothing about the number held in postmans house, thrown on waste ground, or closed every time there is a holiday, so not 24/7, 365 either.

To say nothing of the fact you must still use cash at the counter which is so archaic.

They have do to sonething as their service must be being eroded by the likes of Kerry and others that have exploded over recent years.

Never had any issues with the postal service.

Cash is archiac, really?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Recent improvements at Thailand Post include Cash on Delivery (COD), Express Mail Service (EMS) and 24-hour-365-day service.

However recent deterioration in the 'new' EMS tracking website means it's updated a lot slower than the old more reliable website.

Last week an EMS letter arrived at our house while it showed as being 'in transit' from Bangkok to Udon.

The old website always used to show as 'out for delivery' so I knew when to expect it.

I say 'arrived', as the EMS letter appeared in our mailbox - unsigned for.

Calling the EMS helpline just resulted in them telling me to email customer care, which I did.

So far no response at all. Perhaps my email is still 'in transit'.

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

However recent deterioration in the 'new' EMS tracking website means it's updated a lot slower than the old more reliable website.

Last week an EMS letter arrived at our house while it showed as being 'in transit' from Bangkok to Udon.

The old website always used to show as 'out for delivery' so I knew when to expect it.

Calling the EMS helpline just resulted in them telling me to email customer care, which I did.

Bottom line - you got your parcel, right?

2 minutes ago, JaiLai said:
8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Bottom line - you got your parcel, right?

So I shouldn't make a fuss obviously, just thank my lucky stars it arrived?

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:
1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

So I shouldn't make a fuss obviously, just thank my lucky stars it arrived?

you'll only get frustrated making a fuss, or what do you hope to get, an apology?

good luck.

No, not an apology, but some action.

Last time something similar happened and I complained, they replaced the postman.

(That was the regular postman, not an EMS delivery guy)

11 minutes ago, faraday said:

Always find them ok, but the new tracking app is not as good.

Kerry tracking just doesn't really show much that is helpful.

Yes, perhaps the glitches might be ironed out over time with this new tracking page - it's just not updated anywhere as often as the old one.

Dunno, Kerry seems OK to me.

You can see where it is and once the delivery guy has your parcel. At least they call you to say they're coming and check you're at home.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

...closed every time there is a holiday, so not 24/7, 365 either.

Come on, CharlieH, this is what the OP said, are you saying that's not true...

"The 24-hour-365-day postal service allows senders to deliver parcels even on holidays from the post offices at the Street Ratchada, Suvarnabhumi Airport and Laksi EMS centre. This service will gradually be expanded to other areas".

Just now, Just Weird said:

Come on, CharlieH, this is what the OP said, are you saying that's not true...

"The 24-hour-365-day postal service allows senders to deliver parcels even on holidays from the post offices at the Street Ratchada, Suvarnabhumi Airport and Laksi EMS centre. This service will gradually be expanded to other areas".

I stand corrected, I didnt read it as to specific offices,but as a generalised comment.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:
3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Never had any issues with the postal service.

Cash is archiac, really?

As a sole method of payment , yes !

I suppose that if you don't carry enough cash to cover the average Post Office transaction it may seem archaic, but who, apart from Royalty, doesn't have that small amount of money on them?

Just now, Just Weird said:

I suppose that if you don't carry enough cash to cover the average Post Office transaction it may seem archaic, but who, apart from Royalty, doesn't have that kind of money on them?

Or conversely the quanity you have to send, as an example try taking 100 pieces and hoping you have guestimated you have enough cash ! or half dozen of varying weights sizes, countries etc. Not easy to calculate what you night need, However, if there was an electronic  payment means available, it really wouldnt matter. That was my point.

3 hours ago, AndyCherry said:

And what percentage is lost or stolen by Thai Post?

Odd question, have you suffered a loss or theft?   I've never had anything go missing in Thailand's system, I have had losses with the UK, Canadian and US (the worlds slowest international postal system) systems, though.

EMS and Thai registered post is the most expensive and most inefficient way of sending anything from A to B. 
Good luck there is Kerry, SCG and Nim Express (just to name a few); competition keeps service levels very, very high at attractive rates. 

Ten garden chairs made of aluminium from Pattaya to Nong Khai by Nim Express took 17 hours and were charged with B 1'100. 
A box of nine kilogrammes from an EMS counter in Robinson Sukhumvit Soi 19/Bangkok to Nong Khai took six days at B 1'146.

If you have the choice, do NOT use the Thai Post or EMS - in your interest! 

16 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I love the Thai Postal system. It has always worked for me. Maybe it is the specific office I deal with, but that is my experience.

As Bluesofa said above, the new online tracking software is NOT a delight. I've only got one cycle of my 90-Day reports to go by, but things were reported days after they occurred. It was of particular concern because the Lampang Immigration office was moved to a new location between my last report and the new one - so I was closely monitoring that the new mailing address listed actually resulted in a confirmed delivery.

Look at the wording used in the report. It looks like someone hacked code out of some other application and just dropped it into the Thai Postal site. As with many Apps we are pointed towards using, the coding and functionality leaves much room for improvement. In this case, they traded cute graphics for the real functionality they already had.
1716656836_OldvsNewEMSTracking.png.07f936849653a3800eb9b1ba7636c59f.png

13 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Odd question, have you suffered a loss or theft?   I've never had anything go missing in Thailand's system, I have had losses with the UK, Canadian and US (the worlds slowest international postal system) systems, though.

I have, every 5th or so parcel does not quite make it, sometimes not tracked leaving country of departure sometimes reaches BKK, but dissapeared is dissapeared, I ask relatives not to send anymore

Archived