Not feeling welcome

DrJack54

So as brief as possible. I land Melb airport and car pick up meet oz guy married to Thai from Surin. They live au but visit los often have land/farm Rayong. So to the point. Clearly he has MANY friends and wife family here. All he could talk about is stress from all his friends about what future holds for them.

I'm by comparison a newbie. The fact that he is well off fella with options talking about his worried married friends in los had an impression upon me. Of course I have read many threads similar but this was first hand. Geezus what are they doing here to the long term farang.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Unfortunately its what most of my Non Thai friends are atm consumed with, as their renewals come up its unavoidable and MANY are considering leaving, others are simply having to. So sad as many have Thai family or  employees.

why? funds? exchange rate? visa ineligibility? 

There seems to be an attitude shift by Thai government and more pointedly some Thai immigration to make life hell for longterm expats...

Just when you think it can not get any worse...it does.

Adding to the anxiety and aggravation is that some folks are being encouraged to donate more baht to make their problems disappear...I think you get the picture...????

37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Geezus what are they doing here to the long term farang.

Don't have clue about what you or others here are moaning about.

I don't have any problems with marriage extension maybe me being here 15 years is not long term enough.

In my opinion, alot of the issue is around the falling of some currencies coupled with the strong baht, it has devastated some incomes and many  I believe are hitting a financial crisis and out of pride or embarrassment, saving face, call it what you will, may be using the continual trials and changes in immigration criteria as the reason but perhaps its more one than the other, and the latter is more comfortable to blame or give as a reason, I suggest.

After all if you have the finances, and you have a family etc, there are always ways, and alternatives, those alternatives wont matter a squat if you dont have the finances/income anymore.

I've been married to my missus for 16 years so have many farang friends and acquaintances in the Uk who way back nearly all had the dream of retiring to Thailand -relationship issues aside and a lot of those marriages have failed in the intervening years I know of none that can/or want to retire there now. We enjoy our three months in our Jomtien condo from December to March and that's enough for me and my partner. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Geezus what are they doing here to the long term farang.

The only thing "they" have done is strengthen the Thai Baht, (foreign dollars worth less)

Retirement can mean living on a fixed income. Prices rise and you income falls -sucks 

1 hour ago, IraqRon said:

could you restate that in common english please

It probably means that these days the "Visa-Situation" plus the ever strenghtening BHT is starting to pre-occupy some Farangs. A "game changer". Before, Farangs were pre-occupied with "girl-matters" and the price of Beer Chang. Aaaahhh the good old days! Never to return.

If any country in the world toughened up their immigration and visa regulations, you would obviously expect some of the foreigners to leave, through either choice or necessity. What Thailand is doing now is slowly turning the screw until all but the richest ex-pats are left. They don't mind the wealthy ex-pats, or the 2-week millionaires, but everyone else is clearly not welcome. Forget your wife and family and forget your business in Thailand. They only want you here if you've got megabucks and don't mind sharing it around. Ex-pats eking out a living on under 1000 baht a day are definitely not wanted. 

Either come here as a tourist and blow your budget in two weeks. Or come here as a rich ex-pat and spend an absolute shed load of cash. If you're in-between these two groups you are SOL. Go to a much nicer country where you will be welcomed and not treated like a criminal for doing nothing more than coming too often (what a joke).

The entire country is mismanaged from the top down.

1 hour ago, orchis said:

why? funds? exchange rate? visa ineligibility? 

in my case its instability - at 45 i am comfortable and settled and can pay/qualify for anything i need, but with now TWO major changes to long stay visas not being grand fathered in i cannot plan for any future changes that may come between now and me reaching 80 years old and have no faith that they will be enacted in the best interests of those they apply to - in other words it will always be thailand first, guests last.

as such feel it is safer to move my family to europe where we can all live together forever (my wife will obtain a passport) + i can work in any field i choose as a sole trader

maybe we will holiday in thailand from time to time but until the day i die i will never invest another satang here

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

There seems to be an attitude shift by Thai government and more pointedly some Thai immigration to make life hell for longterm expats...

Just when you think it can not get any worse...it does.

Adding to the anxiety and aggravation is that some folks are being encouraged to donate more baht to make their problems disappear...I think you get the picture...????

I do not agree with you. Before Thailand was a poor, 3rd world country that wanted pensioners under any circumstances,As Thai economy and wealth grew, along with more and more foreigners with no money, government has changed its attitude and now wants only people who have money.

Keep in mind, the amounts they want is still minimal in comparison to most developed nations.. Not saying $30 000 is small amount of money, but it is small in comparison to say what Oz requires for someone to get long term visa.

Of course as per usual, officials do interpret the new regs as they see fit, but with some creative thinking and assistance all can be still be achieved.

And yes, i understand the argument, that pension is still a lot more than what average or minimum wage thai makes, but due to Thailand growth small crumbs are no longer wanted.

On the bright side, the way economy is moving now and if it stays down the same path, their attitude may also change

15 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

in other words it will always be thailand first, guests last.

I am wondering if the people responsible oversee the consequences of their decisions.  

For example the insurance debacle. 

I didn't really delve into it, but I understood that many people were seriously worried. Some of them came to the conclusion that they had to move.

Somehow it was not understood that it is difficult to insure yourself when you are 80 years old.

Various government bodies began to explain the rules in their own way, which made the confusion even greater.

And now it appears that you can simply apply for another visa to bypass the entire hassle.

Had they not been able to oversee this mess before they came up with the idea of requiring insurance?

It seems that people are working there who are not capable.

The insurance debacle is not about insurance. It's about deliberately adding an additional layer of hassle for ex-pats, and creating yet another cash-grab for local businesses. The insurance is clearly almost worthless. It's just more paperwork that immigration are going to demand. And yet another reason why neighbouring countries now look so welcoming to people just wanting to enjoy their retirement.

33 minutes ago, SteveK said:

If any country in the world toughened up their immigration and visa regulations, you would obviously expect some of the foreigners to leave, through either choice or necessity. What Thailand is doing now is slowly turning the screw until all but the richest ex-pats are left. They don't mind the wealthy ex-pats, or the 2-week millionaires, but everyone else is clearly not welcome. Forget your wife and family and forget your business in Thailand. They only want you here if you've got megabucks and don't mind sharing it around. Ex-pats eking out a living on under 1000 baht a day are definitely not wanted. 

Either come here as a tourist and blow your budget in two weeks. Or come here as a rich ex-pat and spend an absolute shed load of cash. If you're in-between these two groups you are SOL. Go to a much nicer country where you will be welcomed and not treated like a criminal for doing nothing more than coming too often (what a joke).

I do not think they want mega bucks, but they want people who can afford high standards and contribute to economy instead of just getting by.

I do not think they cracking down on business owners, but in all honesty where in the world you can get long term visa without health insurance or sufficient money in the bank to cover your medical bills?

Some places in SE Asia are easier but they have not had an influx yet and have not experience the burned of unpaid medical bills.

Cambodia does not have good enough hospitals to treat anyone, All airlifted to BKK for anything serious and clearly not done for anyone who is incapable of paying or covered by insurance

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

I do not agree with you. Before Thailand was a poor, 3rd world country that wanted pensioners under any circumstances,As Thai economy and wealth grew, along with more and more foreigners with no money, government has changed its attitude and now wants only people who have money.

But is it right to change the rules for people already living in Thailand for a long time?  

Some people are staying for a long time, have a family, there life here. And than suddenly they change the rules making it difficult to stay.

Also considering that in other countries they will give you a passport after some years, or at least a permanent residence.

Would it be right to send someone home after 20, 30 years, if he cannot prove that he has enough money to stay?  Living together with someone you are married to is a basic human right.

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

but in all honesty where in the world you can get long term visa without health insurance or sufficient money in the bank to cover your medical bills?

In all countries in the world you will get a passport or permanent residency allowing you to stay when you are married. So nothing to worry about after that.

Thailand is really the exception here.

40 minutes ago, SteveK said:

If I was very rich and not married to a Thai why would I ever come here more than once. That said if it's 5 star hotels , limos and private planes everywhere it would probably be somewhat different. 

1 minute ago, dimitriv said:

But is it right to change the rules for people already living in Thailand for a long time?  

Some people are staying for a long time, have a family, there life here. And than suddenly they change the rules making it difficult to stay.

Also considering that in other countries they will give you a passport after some years, or at least a permanent residence.

Would it be right to send someone home after 20, 30 years, if he cannot prove that he has enough money to stay?  Living together with someone you are married to is a basic human right.

What rules have they changed?

Verification of income letter from Embassy - it was the Embassies (3) who stopped this.

Seasoning of funds (800k Retirement) - this has always been the case

If no seasoned funds, proof of income from overseas (>65k baht per month?) - has this changed?

Insurance for Type O retirement Visa application - this is new and can be a show stopper for some who cannot get insurance or have pre-existing conditions, although, there is surely a simply way around this? 

Archived