BANGKOK
sirineou

Firestick in Thailand

Ok simple question , can I use a Firestick in Thailand . what is it's functionality, or would another external smart TV device be better.

Some Background: I don't watch much TV, for the most part I watch YouTube via my laptop.  

I am in the US now, getting ready to retire from work, and will be coming to Thailand in a few months, and since I would not be working anymore, so planning to spend more time there. 

So I was thinking of bringing a fire stick with me,  I know it will work there, but how functional would it be?  Will I need a VPN , and what VPN would be best for connecting to US based apps. and programing.

Thank you

Works fine. I have several (for different TVs) and have used them for years.

However, I've tried many VPNs and still get blocked by Netflix (US) and Amazon Prime with all of them. 

Kodi runs fine on all on my Firesticks and FireTVs.

• Thanks 1

I have firesticks and they work well. Netflix works fine but you need to access the Thai one which is much the same as the US except some content will differ, it's all in English. Kodi works well on it and you can subscribe to an IPTV to get all the American channels you need.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FarangRimPing said:

Works fine. I have several (for different TVs) and have used them for years.

However, I've tried many VPNs and still get blocked by Netflix (US) and Amazon Prime with all of them. 

Kodi runs fine on all on my Firesticks and FireTVs.

Try PrivateVPN , has section for Amazon Prime and Netflix

• Thanks 1

Mine and a few of my mates Firesticks have recently gone tits up.  But have bought an Android box off Lazada for under 600 baht that streams brilliantly. You can add USB's, sd cards, memory cards and all sorts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you ever want to watch US TV just download the Cyberflix app. I believe they have a Firestick version

• Thanks 1

ROKU is so much better. The firestick is only if you are a Prime member and want to watch video (which is not near worthwhile) from Amazon.  Most every think on Prime is not streamed to Thailand. There is even a section of Prime that is to be watched by people out of the USA, many of those are also not shown in Thailand. 

Short quick answer, leave the Firestick in America, bring the ROKU to Thailand.  If you've lost your ROKU remote, easy and cheap replacement from Lazada.

• Thanks 2

I use the Fire TV HD stick and it works quite well.  Many programs come already installed and I enjoy watching Amazon Prime.  I am looking forward the first episode of the new season of Jack Ryan tomorrow.  I find the Fire TV stick easier to use than the various android boxes that I have had.  There are several You Tube videos about how to use the features of Fire TV.  If you pay the subscription fees, all of the paid streaming sources are available: Netflix, HBO, Showtime, etc.  What I particularly like about Fire TV is that you can talk to Alexa through the remote and don’t have to laboriously type your searches.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

I use the Fire TV HD stick and it works quite well.  Many programs come already installed and I enjoy watching Amazon Prime.  I am looking forward the first episode of the new season of Jack Ryan tomorrow.  I find the Fire TV stick easier to use than the various android boxes that I have had.  There are several You Tube videos about how to use the features of Fire TV.  If you pay the subscription fees, all of the paid streaming sources are available: Netflix, HBO, Showtime, etc.  What I particularly like about Fire TV is that you can talk to Alexa through the remote and don’t have to laboriously type your searches.

Both of my TVs at home are Rocu Smart TVs and I still use firestick on them. I find the Firestick easier to navigate, but that's probably because I am familiar with it, But mainly I like the voice recognition capability

I have Echo Dots through the house and I can verbally navigate to any show without even the remote. 

I have used a Firestick for 3 years and it beats boxes hands down. I am Scottish and get BBC iPlayer, All4, ITV Hub, All 5,UK TVPlayer,Scottish Tv app and more. For all sports I use Livenet TV and for movies and TV shows I use Morph TV both of which are free and work very well. My VPN is Browsec,I have tried virtually all of the others and this is by far the most reliable and reasonably priced. I also have TVMucho on my Firestick which gives me all U.K. Freeview channels and Sky news with a 7 day catchup, this is only 48 euros per year. It used to be a little flaky but is now working very well. I am sure the writer will have the same positive Firestick experience with US programmes.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scottie12 said:

I have used a Firestick for 3 years and it beats boxes hands down. I am Scottish and get BBC iPlayer, All4, ITV Hub, All 5,UK TVPlayer,Scottish Tv app and more. For all sports I use Livenet TV and for movies and TV shows I use Morph TV both of which are free and work very well. My VPN is Browsec,I have tried virtually all of the others and this is by far the most reliable and reasonably priced. I also have TVMucho on my Firestick which gives me all U.K. Freeview channels and Sky news with a 7 day catchup, this is only 48 euros per year. It used to be a little flaky but is now working very well. I am sure the writer will have the same positive Firestick experience with US programmes.

Glad to hear from all on the positive experience with Firesticks, It is settled then, The fire sticks are coming.

I will also bring a couple pf echo dots and see how they work, I like to be able to remotely control a few devices via smart plugs from anywhere in the world, as I travel a lot.  

I like to take this opportunity to also thank all for your replies and advice, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

ROKU is so much better. The firestick is only if you are a Prime member and want to watch video (which is not near worthwhile) from Amazon.  Most every think on Prime is not streamed to Thailand. There is even a section of Prime that is to be watched by people out of the USA, many of those are also not shown in Thailand. 

Short quick answer, leave the Firestick in America, bring the ROKU to Thailand.  If you've lost your ROKU remote, easy and cheap replacement from Lazada.

You don't even try to explain to him why you believe ROKU is 'so much better'. Hardly very helpful. 

The gentleman who says you must have Amazon Prime with the Firestick is talking rubbish,I do not have this and have detailed the varied programmes I get which is more than adequate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scottie12 said:

I have used a Firestick for 3 years and it beats boxes hands down. 

Firesticks are decent but does not beat boxes like the Nvidia Shield and SkyStream 3 hands down.

Both SkyStream and the Shield will run circles around the Firestick.

36 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Firesticks are decent but does not beat boxes like the Nvidia Shield and SkyStream 3 hands down.

Both SkyStream and the Shield will run circles around the Firestick.

How is Nvidia shield and Sky stream  beat Firestick  3 hands down? (that's a odd number of hands) LOL

Edited by sirineou