Firestick in Thailand

sirineou

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sirineou said:

What is a good VPN to use for a firestick with access to the US market?

Depends on what specific services you want to access...

Overall, pretty much any good VPN service with U.S. city server locations will get you any of the free stuff you might want and most of the paid stuff as well on the Fire TV platform.

The troublesome ones tend to be just a few -- Netflix U.S., Hulu and Amazon Prime, in particular, where you often have to test and trial all the various U.S. servers any particular VPN may offer to find out which ones will or won't work with each one of those individual services.

Also unlike Roku devices, Fire TV devices actually have and allow you to install VPN apps directly onto the Fire TV device, meaning you don't have to rely on wifi router-based VPN. Among the VPN services with Fire TV specific apps are Express VPN, Nord, PIA, IPVanish, CyberGhost, Strong, Vypr, Torguard, Pure, Ivacy, among others.

Just now, sirineou said:

By the way. I have saved this thread in my favorites to re-read when I comeback to Thailand with my firesticks. Great information and advice by all.

Thank you

At home, I have Fire TV devices, Roku devices and an Android TV device. Over time, I've found I ended up shelving the Roku and Android TV devices, and now rely solely on the Fire TV devices, which do everything I need them to do. The new Fire TV 4K stick in particular is a really strong device at a bargain price, and probably will be even cheaper come Black Friday/Cyber Monday at the end of this coming month.

BTW, Amazon does also sell a "basic edition" Fire Stick via its U.S. online store that's specifically made for international use. But it's more expensive than the regular Fire TV devices, and doesn't have all the capabilities of the regular U.S. devices either, including lacking Alexa capability and only having access to the very limited international version of Amazon Prime Video. But for someone who refuses to use a VPN for whatever reason, the "basic edition" Fire Stick is another alternative.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

At home, I have Fire TV devices, Roku devices and an Android TV device. Over time, I've found I ended up shelving the Roku and Android TV devices, and now rely solely on the Fire TV devices, which do everything I need them to do. The new Fire TV 4K stick in particular is a really strong device at a bargain price, and probably will be even cheaper come Black Friday/Cyber Monday at the end of this coming month.

BTW, Amazon does also sell a "basic edition" Fire Stick via its U.S. online store that's specifically made for international use. But it's more expensive than the regular Fire TV devices, and doesn't have all the capabilities of the regular U.S. devices either, including lacking Alexa capability and only having access to the very limited international version of Amazon Prime Video. But for someone who refuses to use a VPN for whatever reason, the "basic edition" Fire Stick is another alternative.

I replaced my old fire sticks with the new new 4k firestick, I paid $34 usd each!! A bargain. They are lightening fast and never had an issue, also have bluetooth capability for connecting my noise cancelling headphone so that I don't have to listen to my wife's  Thai comedy shows  that she watches on her Ipad,

wizz, ding,doink, wa wa wa waaaaaa. LOL

On 11/1/2019 at 12:54 AM, DPKANKAN said:

Scart connection and wifi. One of my TV's is over 8 years old and is connected with little problem, although it only picks up 2.4G wifi which slows it down sometimes!

Please pardon my ignorance, what is an Scart connection?

7 hours ago, oceanbreeze851 said:

I will be moving to Sattahip, Thailand in March with my Thai wife. I use Norton VPN now. Would that work with the Fire Stick. I would like the ability to watch NFL games and maybe record them to be watched at later date. Thank you for any information.

Take a look at Locast.org combined with a FitzyTV app installed on a Fire Stick or Android TV device... 

Locast is good if one of the cities they serve happens to be your home town area, meaning you can get all your local team games on the local Fox or CBS affiliate. Locast provides the access. FitzyTV for $5 a month provides a rolling 25 hour cloud DVR.

But if you just want to watch the national NFL broadcasts, then that gets a lot easier, and isn't dependent on an internet connection tied to your specific home town city.

Re Norton, I don't believe there's a specific Norton VPN app for Fire TV devices. However, there is one for Android (but not Android TV) devices, so you MIGHT be able to sideload the Norton Android app and see if it works properly on your Fire TV device.

On 10/31/2019 at 3:01 PM, Tony125 said:

Try PrivateVPN , has section for Amazon Prime and Netflix

a bit off topic. I am trying to sign up for Netflix. i use Proton vpn, baseed mostly in singapore. Netflix subscription defaults to Sing$. OK - I turned of the vpn. Now the sub. currency is Thai baht. But, when I enter my Can bank Visa, it refuses to accept payment. Called my bank, they say my card is activated, etc. anyone can help - or refer me to a more relevant forum. tia.

2 hours ago, paddypower said:

a bit off topic. I am trying to sign up for Netflix. i use Proton vpn, baseed mostly in singapore. Netflix subscription defaults to Sing$. OK - I turned of the vpn. Now the sub. currency is Thai baht. But, when I enter my Can bank Visa, it refuses to accept payment. Called my bank, they say my card is activated, etc. anyone can help - or refer me to a more relevant forum. tia.

They may want the payment method location to match the subscription location.

But either way, when I look at Netflix for the U.S., it also gives you the option of paying via Paypal, which might avoid the location issue... 

Or, couldn't you subscribe to Netflix Canada???

What country do you want your Netflix subscription to be based in?

You can also subscribe to Netflix directly in Thailand with a Thai IP...and Thai payment method.

I just ordered an extra Echo dot (3 generation)  Amazon is having it on sale $29 , I will use it in a spare room at my US home, and I am planning to bring it with me when I come back to Thailand this spring. (wintering in FL now). I have never used an Echo Dot in Thailand. What issues , if any. would I encounter?  

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I just ordered an extra Echo dot (3 generation)  Amazon is having it on sale $29 , I will use it in a spare room at my US home, and I am planning to bring it with me when I come back to Thailand this spring. (wintering in FL now). I have never used an Echo Dot in Thailand. What issues , if any. would I encounter?  

None.... AFAIK....

Once initially set up, it can even connect and be used with a Thai IP address, as best as I recall... But, U.S.-only services on it may not work in that mode. So I keep mine connected to a router-based U.S. VPN.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

None.... AFAIK....

Once initially set up, it can even connect and be used with a Thai IP address, as best as I recall... But, U.S.-only services on it may not work in that mode.

So run a VPN? I will mainly use it to remotely control devices when traveling, and to listen to music (Amazon music, and spotify),    and verbally control devices when there. 

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

So run a VPN? I will mainly use it to remotely control devices when traveling, and to listen to music (Amazon music, and spotify),    and verbally control devices when there. 

Ya, I think the responding to verbal commands part is no problem.

But the streaming services issue can get a bit more complicated...

Assuming you have a U.S.-based Amazon account, here's what I can advise:

--I have a Thailand-based Spotify premium account, have linked it to my Alexa account, and it plays fine via my Alexa devices when they are connected to my U.S. IP.

--I switched both my Android mobile phone and laptop to my regular Thai ISP IP via wifi, and my Amazon Music premium subscription played fine on both devices, via the Amazon Music app on my phone, and via the web browser on my laptop.

I would switch one of my Alexa devices to my Thai ISP for you and give it a try, except connecting to a different wifi connection via the Alexa app is a bit of a pain, so I'm gonna try to avoid doing that....

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya, I think the responding to verbal commands part is no problem.

But the streaming services issue can get a bit more complicated...

Assuming you have a U.S.-based Amazon account, here's what I can advise:

--I have a Thailand-based Spotify premium account, have linked it to my Alexa account, and it plays fine via my Alexa devices when they are connected to my U.S. IP.

--I switched both my Android mobile phone and laptop to my regular Thai ISP IP via wifi, and my Amazon Music premium subscription played fine on both devices, via the Amazon Music app on my phone, and via the web browser on my laptop.

I would switch one of my Alexa devices to my Thai ISP for you and give it a try, except connecting to a different wifi connection via the Alexa app is a bit of a pain, so I'm gonna try to avoid doing that....

Thank you for that reply.

I have saved this Threads in my favorites so I can re-read it when I get there and start playing with these devices. Lately I find myself to have the attention span and memory  of a may fly LOL 

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that reply.

I have saved this Threads in my favorites so I can re-read it when I get there and start playing with these devices. Lately I find myself to have the attention span and memory  of a may fly LOL 

I have the convenience of an ASUS wifi router at home that includes a built-in VPN client that I can use with my subscription VPN services... So basically at home, I just keep everything connected all the time to my U.S. VPN wifi... And it makes things much easier and less complicated that way.... And everything just works....

PS - When I think about it, it's the video streaming services that often seem to be more geo-fenced compared to the audio streaming services.... 

So I think you'll have fewer or no problems with Spotify and Amazon Music than you would, by  comparison, with Amazon Prime Video and Hulu, etc. etc.

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I have the convenience of an ASUS wifi router at home that includes a built-in VPN client that I can use with my subscription VPN services... So basically at home, I just keep everything connected all the time to my U.S. VPN wifi... And it makes things much easier and less complicated that way.... And everything just works....

That sounds like a great Idea,

So that way the wifi has a US IP rather than setting up each device. Am I understanding this correctly? I am not very IT literate. and have never used a VPN yet. The extend of my IT knowledge is to unplug the wifi and plug it in again. (what the heck are all the blinking lights? do they mean anything to anyone?) 

Did you buy the router in Thailand or bring it with you from the US? I looked on Amazon and there were many different Asus wifi routers ranging in price from $30-$300 not sure which ones have the VPN capability, Would you recommend a particular one? I am not a gamer or anything like that, 

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

That sounds like a great Idea,

So that way the wifi has a US IP rather than setting up each device. Am I understanding this correctly? I am not very IT literate. and have never used a VPN yet. The extend of my IT knowledge is to unplug the wifi and plug it in again. (what the heck are all the blinking lights? do they mean anything to anyone?) 

Did you buy the router in Thailand or bring it with you from the US? I looked on Amazon and there were many different Asus wifi routers ranging in price from $30-$300 not sure which ones have the VPN capability, Would you recommend a particular one? I am not a gamer or anything like that, 

Yes, as to the way router-based VPN works... The advantage of that use is, there are some kinds of devices where you CANNOT install and use VPN apps, such as some streaming devices like Roku and Echo Dots, for instance. And then that saved you having to deal with individual VPN connections on your range of different devices....

The ASUS router model I'm using right now I bought from Amazon in the U.S. and it came with a dual voltage plug that runs and works fine on either US or TH electricity. I'm assuming most ASUS models are that way, since they're an intl seller. But it's always good to check and confirm.

The model I'm using is their ACHR13, which typically runs for around $60, and has built-in client support for VPN protocols of Open VPN, PPTP and L2TP. Which basically means you just need a VPN subscription, then plug in your VPN service's user ID, password and desired server location address into the router's firmware VPN settings, and the router does everything from there!

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-ACRH13/

The basic setup for a TH use is pretty simple. You will receive a wifi router from your Thai ISP that probably won't have any built-in VPN capability. So, you set up your own VPN router near your ISP router. And run an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the Thai router to the WAN/Internet IN ports on your VPN router. Then they both can operate side by side... And you can leave on the Thai router's wifi, or turn it off and only use your VPN router's wifi, depending on your needs.

However, if you're ONLY needing to do audio stuff via your Echo Dot device, then you might not need to use a VPN service or VPN router at all, especially if you set up the Echo Dot in the U.S. first before you travel abroad.....

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, as to the way router-based VPN works... The advantage of that use is, there are some kinds of devices where you CANNOT install and use VPN apps, such as some streaming devices like Roku and Echo Dots, for instance. And then that saved you having to deal with individual VPN connections on your range of different devices....

The ASUS router model I'm using right now I bought from Amazon in the U.S. and it came with a dual voltage plug that runs and works fine on either US or TH electricity. I'm assuming most ASUS models are that way, since they're an intl seller. But it's always good to check and confirm.

The model I'm using is their ACHR13, which typically runs for around $60, and has built-in client support for VPN protocols of Open VPN, PPTP and L2TP. Which basically means you just need a VPN subscription, then plug in your VPN service's user ID, password and desired server location address into the router's firmware VPN settings, and the router does everything from there!

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-ACRH13/

The basic setup for a TH use is pretty simple. You will receive a wifi router from your Thai ISP that probably won't have any built-in VPN capability. So, you set up your own VPN router near your ISP router. And run an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the Thai router to the WAN/Internet IN ports on your VPN router. Then they both can operate side by side... And you can leave on the Thai router's wifi, or turn it off and only use your VPN router's wifi, depending on your needs.

However, if you're ONLY needing to do audio stuff via your Echo Dot device, then you might not need to use a VPN service or VPN router at all, especially if you set up the Echo Dot in the U.S. first before you travel abroad.....

A treasure trove of information

Thank you!!  I will certainly get one .

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

A treasure trove of information

Thank you!!  I will certainly get one .

Just a bit of a caution... doing what I've described above does take a MODEST amount of techie know-how, or at least, the ability to search online and follow the instructions. You have to know how to log-into the settings menu on your router, and then how to arrange the cabling and adjust the wifi settings so those of one router don't interfere with the other.

If all you want to do is stream music and such with an Echo Dot, a VPN router probably is not necessary.  And if you want to do streaming video from the U.S., depending on the type of device(s) you want to use for that, you might be able to get away with just using VPN apps on your own devices.

But if you expect to have a lot of different devices -- mobile phones, PCs, laptops, tablets, streaming devices, etc. -- and want all of them to be able to make a home country connection, then a VPN router is probably the best way to go. I'm just cautioning, because you mentioned you're a non-techie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 7:49 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's certainly true re the availability of the various paid streaming services on the Fire TV devices. In fact, Amazon has their Channels program where you can subscribe to a lot of them directly thru your Amazon account and pay for them in the same place, adding a certain level of convenience for those that want it.

However, there's also a TON of free content available on Fire TV devices when used with a U.S. VPN -- regular YouTube, Sony Crackle, Paramount app, Tubi TV, Pluto TV, IMDB TV, the various Filmrise apps, Sky News, NHK World, STIRR TV, and on the audio side of things, TuneIn, IHeart Radio, Spotify and MyTuner among others for music, radio stations, podcasts, etc.

I liked you idea you mentioned in another post, of having a WiFi router with a VPN so that one would not need individual VPN setups for each device. 

Just now, sirineou said:

I liked you idea you mentioned in another post, of having a WiFi router with a VPN so that one would not need individual VPN setups for each device. 

That's what I do, because, totally apart from streaming, your IP address affects a lot of other things you deal with in terms of Internet use, such as what kind of Google search results you get, what language results show in, etc etc..

So for my uses, everything I do goes with a U.S. IP address and I never have to worry about getting Google search results or my YouTube pages showing up in Thai. But, my Thai wife connects directly to our Thai ISP service router instead of my U.S. VPN router, so she still gets all her normal stuff in Thai language and with Thai locality.

On 10/31/2019 at 4:16 PM, IAMHERE said:

ROKU is so much better. The firestick is only if you are a Prime member and want to watch video (which is not near worthwhile) from Amazon.  Most every think on Prime is not streamed to Thailand. There is even a section of Prime that is to be watched by people out of the USA, many of those are also not shown in Thailand. 

Short quick answer, leave the Firestick in America, bring the ROKU to Thailand.  If you've lost your ROKU remote, easy and cheap replacement from Lazada.

I just bought a Roku from Amazon, most of the free movie sites are unavailable here in Thailand, you can only access a lot of rubbish, so I resorted to trying a month's free subscription to Netflix.

On 10/31/2019 at 4:16 PM, IAMHERE said:

ROKU is so much better. The firestick is only if you are a Prime member and want to watch video (which is not near worthwhile) from Amazon.  Most every think on Prime is not streamed to Thailand. There is even a section of Prime that is to be watched by people out of the USA, many of those are also not shown in Thailand. 

Short quick answer, leave the Firestick in America, bring the ROKU to Thailand.  If you've lost your ROKU remote, easy and cheap replacement from Lazada.

Just bought a Roku, can't get Prime here in Thailand, only Netflix.

On 10/31/2019 at 3:09 PM, DPKANKAN said:

Mine and a few of my mates Firesticks have recently gone tits up.  But have bought an Android box off Lazada for under 600 baht that streams brilliantly. You can add USB's, sd cards, memory cards and all sorts. 

Which Android box did you buy? If it was a MXQ Pro, mine has already been binned. It was a nightmare to navigate, ended up freezing and I couldn't unlock it.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Just bought a Roku, can't get Prime here in Thailand, only Netflix.

Don't wanna rub salt in the wound, but...

Are you an Amazon Prime member (since you mentioned Prime Video)?

Do you have anyone in the U.S. who would mail you a small package via USPS?

If so, the Amazon Fire Stick 4k is on sale this week for Black Friday for chump change, and supports a wide variety of official VPN apps you can install and use on them without grief...

Just sayin....

But if Netflix TH satisfies your needs, then you're good to go with Roku...

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Don't wanna rub salt in the wound, but...

Are you an Amazon Prime member (since you mentioned Prime Video)?

Do you have anyone in the U.S. who would mail you a small package via USPS?

If so, the Amazon Fire Stick 4k is on sale this week for Black Friday for chump change, and supports a wide variety of official VPN apps you can install and use on them without grief...

Just sayin....

I do have a friend in Texas that I could ask. Is the Firestick on sale at Amazon, and no, I'm not an Amazon Prime member. I have subscribed to a free months trial with Netflix, but I'be probably seen most of the new release movies already, but I'll make up my mind at the end of the month whether it's worth keeping. Just had a look, the only Firestick I see for sale on Amazon is the International version.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I do have a friend in Texas that I could ask. Is the Firestick on sale at Amazon, and no, I'm not an Amazon Prime member. I have subscribed to a free months trial with Netflix, but I'be probably seen most of the new release movies already, but I'll make up my mind at the end of the month whether it's worth keeping. Just had a look, the only Firestick I see for sale on Amazon is the International version.

No, the regular 4K Firestick, and most other Amazon devices, are on sale this week for Black Friday.

1534560916_2019-11-2512_23_19.jpg.0451a2db3f0eb532ad14f41f3933cd9a.jpg

The Fire Stick 4K is far and away a better device than the older regular HD Fire Stick, even if you don't have/aren't using a 4K TV. So for the extra $5, the 4K stick is a no brainer. As I said, chump change.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Stick-4K-with-Alexa-Voice-Remote/dp/B079QHML21/ref=gbps_tit_m-6_70ba_0354bf0c?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=e8c3a347-2ad0-40d6-9dc6-5e10220a70ba&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=384082011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=97KGDZV47KGD9CZ969P9

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No, the regular 4K Firestick, and most other Amazon devices, are on sale this week for Black Friday.

1534560916_2019-11-2512_23_19.jpg.0451a2db3f0eb532ad14f41f3933cd9a.jpg

The Fire Stick 4K is far and away a better device than the older regular HD Fire Stick, even if you don't have/aren't using a 4K TV. So for the extra $5, the 4K stick is a no brainer. As I said, chump change.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Stick-4K-with-Alexa-Voice-Remote/dp/B079QHML21/ref=gbps_tit_m-6_70ba_0354bf0c?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=e8c3a347-2ad0-40d6-9dc6-5e10220a70ba&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=384082011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=97KGDZV47KGD9CZ969P9

I'm a little lost here. Why does Amazon sell an International version if the regular Firestick works in Thailand? And if I have the regular Firestick sent to me from the US will I need any extras like a new router, VPN etc? Remember, I'm not that tech savvy, so I won't be interested in messing around with routers etc.

Archived