Health Insurance: Non-Imm O-A

25 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

They should change the police order so that people have around 60 days to come to Thailand and purchase the insurance here.  Once they do just go back to immigrations and get your stay changed to 1 year from date of entry.

The Thai insurance T&Cs require you to be in Thailand for more than 180days / 6 months, check the policy detail.

If they are suggesting you buy it in the USA, is there a Gov agency that will check if the cover is compliant with selling insurance there? 

Though the insurance companies are not based in USA, the organisation saying you have to purchase a policy is. Those parties may have to get a certificate stating the product complies with USA regulation, signed be two directors of...???? (  ???? ).

Edited by UKresonant

2 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

They should change the police order so that people have around 60 days to come to Thailand and purchase the insurance here.  Once they do just go back to immigrations and get your stay changed to 1 year from date of entry.

Under what regulation or category? Actually what you suggest was my idea why non-Imm-O-A has been introduced into the police orders relating to Retirement extensions. It would seem practical that an O-A Visa holder arriving without insurance could be given 30 days Visa Exempt, time to pursue a qualifying policy within Thailand. Hopefully theen able to return to immigration with it to get a stamp/ extension closer to a year.

Sadly, the reality appears to be, no qualifying insurance, no O-A Visa will be issued.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

So two issues that had been discussed before now are real:

1:  Getting the Thai directors signatures on some certification form for an existing foreign insurance policy is not going to be possible.

2:  Some of the Thai policies as written require some period of presence inside Thailand.  This sort of presence requirement is not rare in the USA either.  When I moved to Florida, and satisfied all the state requirements, Florida Blue Cross Blue Shield still required I show 6 month continuous presence in the state before they would issue me a policy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

There's only one thing left to do and this is by their well planned design - you have to purchase the overpriced and worthless Thai policy which is guaranteed to work for your visa.

It's not even sure if you decide as last resort to go for one of the Thai insurance policies, whether that would be possible at all (see post #4 of Sqwakvfr).  A real catch22 it seems.

A long shot and far from ideal option, but maybe WorldNomads are inclined to provide you with the equivalent certificate that the policy you take with them meets the thai requirements.  They are specialized in Travel Insurance and you can take the insurance from them on-line at any time from any place.  You would have to contact them for this situation but if they are inclined to provide the required signatures that their policy is equivalent to the thai health insurance, the only drawback would be that the maximum length of their policies is 6 months, so your Visa validity would be capped to 6 months, after which you could switch to the thai policy or maybe you found a better solution by then.  Indeed a long shot, but worth trying I presume...

If everything fails, you can of course still apply for a Tourist Visa or even come without a Visa.  Then, when you are in Thailand it's just a matter of going through the process that will lead to a Non Imm O Visa.

Success and I feel for you as one of the 1st victims of this amateurish insurance madness.

• Like 1

Completely agree with SheryL on some of the companies on the Long Stay TGIA website.  Pacific Cross has been the most responsive to all of my questions.  Some of the other companies have not responded.  One of the other companies(I won’t name them) representatives could barely speak English.  In the end the only question she was interested in was “You want to buy now?”. I plan applying with Pacific Cross soon.  

• Like 1

Be advised that depending on your age, Pacific Cross requires a complete physical exam and check-up to be submitted with the application. I applied at the age of 73. I went to Bangkok Christian Hospital and got the check-up, and submitted the exam and receipt with my application, and was reimbursed the cost of the exam after I paid for the annual premium (in one lump sum initial payment, btw). The insurance broker had the physical exam results reviewed by Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya (where I applied), and several exclusions were written into my policy). My original policy did not include Out Patient Coverage, but they have just informed me that I can upgrade my policy to meet Thai Immigration's new requirement of THB 40,000 in OP coverage for the price of THB 10,000 additional fee. The initial process took several weeks, and I expect the additional policy rider will also take some time. I am convinced that only a Thailand-based insurance policy will meet the requirement. I also have out-patient coverage with U.S. Medicare Part F (minus a deductible), and with coverage overseas for the first 60 days of travel, but it doesn't meet the Thailand Immigration requirement. 

image.gif.668f1ad42b5cc508141fb92766830034.gif

I have also asked the Australian Thailand Embassy the same questions - no response yet.

What I have been advised is that they have the authority to 'approve' whatever alternative insurance policy is provided in the application.  But in regards to whether it is mandatory to complete the certificate or not, and whether another company's own certifricate which details the coverage provided is enough, I am still waiting an answer.

I have heard that one bloke said he is going to just sign the Thai certificate himself, and attach the insurance certificate from his own company with a summary of the coverage provide. I understand he is going to say something along the lines:  "Sorry, I thought you wanted me to sign it and for me to declare it met the coverage required."  That maybe not an ideal strategy - and no oen has any idea what happens when you go for an extension in Thailand - or if required.

Marry a Thai lady and get Non-O Visa/Extension seems the be the easiest way to go.  I think it is cheaper too - only 400K in bank and only for 3 months and no need for >65K Baht into account every month.  Is that correct? 

Edited by AussieBob18

21 minutes ago, royalmice said:

Do i need this insurance when i go renew my annual retirement visa next year April 2020

I guess by that time the law would have changed 20 times again about this

Do you have an O, or an OA? If O, no (at the current time). You get an OA on your home country, so if you got a visa in Thailand, you don't have an OA.

• Thanks 1

1.  Kaiser will not work in Thailand.  You can get reimbursed yourself for an EMERGENCY, possibly.  But, the Thai requirements include :  400K thb coverage for hospital and 40K for outpatient.  

2.  We too are applying for an OA.  We are purchasing through AETNA.  They complete all the forms you need and get approval from govt.  We had to take a Ruby Plan.  AETNA was by far the most affordable at one point. 

3.  We are in Thailand right now but, they will help you via email...so, you can do it online, too. And, they speak English. 

Non Immigrant 'O' Visa Requirements.. This Visa  'O'  does not require compulsory Insurance  ( CURRENTLY ) and is pretty much the same as an O-A far as I can see. ( Im on an existing O-A ) 

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

I found them on this thread - some are saying they did it on a 30 day Visa Exempt  on arrival ( so no initial papers to arrive on for a USA citizen ) , just turn up ...

Edited by zaZa9

2 hours ago, royalmice said:

Do i need this insurance when i go renew my annual retirement visa next year April 2020

I guess by that time the law would have changed 20 times again about this

From my reading , No.

And its "No" because you wont be on an O-A Visa if you are already living in Thailand , because you have used that Visa up as soon as you arrived ,  and you  will be seeking an "Extension based on  Retirement" , and that is  not a Visa.

Its a 'permission to stay'...

So my Lawyer says , plus many on here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Unify said:

Do you have an O, or an OA? If O, no (at the current time). You get an OA on your home country, so if you got a visa in Thailand, you don't have an OA.

Got it in Thailand and renewed several years already - so i guess it is O.

The insurance thing is only for OA

8 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

From my reading , No.

And its "No" because you wont be on an O-A Visa if you are already living in Thailand , because you have used that Visa up as soon as you arrived ,  and you  will be seeking an "Extension based on  Retirement" , and that is  not a Visa.

Its a 'permission to stay'...

So my Lawyer says , plus many on here.

Great, thank u