BANGKOK
PeteDaKat

Health Insurance: Non-Imm O-A

25 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

They should change the police order so that people have around 60 days to come to Thailand and purchase the insurance here.  Once they do just go back to immigrations and get your stay changed to 1 year from date of entry.

The Thai insurance T&Cs require you to be in Thailand for more than 180days / 6 months, check the policy detail.

If they are suggesting you buy it in the USA, is there a Gov agency that will check if the cover is compliant with selling insurance there? 

Though the insurance companies are not based in USA, the organisation saying you have to purchase a policy is. Those parties may have to get a certificate stating the product complies with USA regulation, signed be two directors of...😯 (  😂 ).

Edited by UKresonant

2 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

They should change the police order so that people have around 60 days to come to Thailand and purchase the insurance here.  Once they do just go back to immigrations and get your stay changed to 1 year from date of entry.

Under what regulation or category? Actually what you suggest was my idea why non-Imm-O-A has been introduced into the police orders relating to Retirement extensions. It would seem practical that an O-A Visa holder arriving without insurance could be given 30 days Visa Exempt, time to pursue a qualifying policy within Thailand. Hopefully theen able to return to immigration with it to get a stamp/ extension closer to a year.

Sadly, the reality appears to be, no qualifying insurance, no O-A Visa will be issued.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I  have not found a Thai Health Insurance Company that has a online application or payment portal

AXA, you can do everything online, I use them all the time.

https://www.axa.co.th/en/

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Enter Thailand on 30 day VISA waiver, pop over to Laos or Vietnam and buy a Non 'o'

Why is there a need to go to Laos or Vietnam? I thought can apply for Non Imm O in Bangkok on a 30 day visa exempt? Also can apply Non Imm O in home country?

So two issues that had been discussed before now are real:

1:  Getting the Thai directors signatures on some certification form for an existing foreign insurance policy is not going to be possible.

2:  Some of the Thai policies as written require some period of presence inside Thailand.  This sort of presence requirement is not rare in the USA either.  When I moved to Florida, and satisfied all the state requirements, Florida Blue Cross Blue Shield still required I show 6 month continuous presence in the state before they would issue me a policy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

There's only one thing left to do and this is by their well planned design - you have to purchase the overpriced and worthless Thai policy which is guaranteed to work for your visa.

It's not even sure if you decide as last resort to go for one of the Thai insurance policies, whether that would be possible at all (see post #4 of Sqwakvfr).  A real catch22 it seems.

A long shot and far from ideal option, but maybe WorldNomads are inclined to provide you with the equivalent certificate that the policy you take with them meets the thai requirements.  They are specialized in Travel Insurance and you can take the insurance from them on-line at any time from any place.  You would have to contact them for this situation but if they are inclined to provide the required signatures that their policy is equivalent to the thai health insurance, the only drawback would be that the maximum length of their policies is 6 months, so your Visa validity would be capped to 6 months, after which you could switch to the thai policy or maybe you found a better solution by then.  Indeed a long shot, but worth trying I presume...

If everything fails, you can of course still apply for a Tourist Visa or even come without a Visa.  Then, when you are in Thailand it's just a matter of going through the process that will lead to a Non Imm O Visa.

Success and I feel for you as one of the 1st victims of this amateurish insurance madness.

• Like 1

Completely agree with SheryL on some of the companies on the Long Stay TGIA website.  Pacific Cross has been the most responsive to all of my questions.  Some of the other companies have not responded.  One of the other companies(I won’t name them) representatives could barely speak English.  In the end the only question she was interested in was “You want to buy now?”. I plan applying with Pacific Cross soon.  

• Like 1