Health Insurance: Non-Imm O-A

10 minutes ago, royalmice said:

Got it in Thailand and renewed several years already - so i guess it is O.

The insurance thing is only for OA

If you got it in LOS , it has to be an O.

O-As only issued outside LOS.

O's have no changes so far.

Why do you need the O-A Visa in the first place? Why not start with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa and extend it 1 year after 60 days at the local immigration office. If you meet the requirements,that is. And you still have your insurance.

This is from the Royal Thai Embassy's website in Washington D.C. ---scroll down to 8.2 Foreign Insurance Certificate. I'm going to download it and send it to Kaiser and see what they can do with it. After all, it can't hurt to try ......though I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Effective from 31 October 2019 , the applicant must be medically insured for the entire period of stay in Thailand with the following coverage:

– Outpatient benefit with a sum insured of not less than 40,000 THB, and

– Inpatient benefit with a sum insured of not less than  400,000 THB

The applicants must submit the following:

8.1. Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:

(a) In case of a foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the original insurance policy document with 2 copies;

(b) In case of a Thai insurance company, the applicant must submit 2 copies of the insurance policy document or, if available, the original insurance policy document with 2 copies. A list of Thai insurance companies participating in the scheme can be found here: http://longstay.tgia.org

8.2. Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand, which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company. The form can be downloaded here: Foreign Insurance Certificate Form

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

Edited by oslooskar

I was issued my O-A Visa on October 8th at the Thai Consulate General - Los Angeles.  At the time it was not a requirement to prove you had sufficient insurance prior to issuing the Visa.  I have yet to leave for Thailand but will be this next week.  I am wondering if I might have any issues upon arrival when they see the date the Visa was issued and the fact I entered after the new requirement date.  I have e-mailed my State of California (CalPERS) insurance benefits unit the Alien Certificate of Insurance Form and am awaiting whether or not they can complete it or if it needs to be sent directly to Anthem Blue Cross.  I have my evidence of coverage cards for my medical, the booklets for both the current policy and the next years policy, as well as a breakdown of what is covered.  However, there is no maximum or minimum listed for outpatient or inpatient.  This is starting to feel like a hoop jumping competition.  I have used my insurance in Thailand many times before with no issues whatsoever.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I was issued my O-A Visa on October 8th at the Thai Consulate General - Los Angeles.  At the time it was not a requirement to prove you had sufficient insurance prior to issuing the Visa.  I have yet to leave for Thailand but will be this next week.  I am wondering if I might have any issues upon arrival when they see the date the Visa was issued and the fact I entered after the new requirement date.  I have e-mailed my State of California (CalPERS) insurance benefits unit the Alien Certificate of Insurance Form and am awaiting whether or not they can complete it or if it needs to be sent directly to Anthem Blue Cross.  I have my evidence of coverage cards for my medical, the booklets for both the current policy and the next years policy, as well as a breakdown of what is covered.  However, there is no maximum or minimum listed for outpatient or inpatient.  This is starting to feel like a hoop jumping competition.  I have used my insurance in Thailand many times before with no issues whatsoever.

Personally, I think, and others too, that you won't have any problems if immigration at the airport in BKK have read and understood the instructions concerning the insurance. It says in the police order that the officer shall look for notes from the Thai embassy/consulate in the passport concerning the insurance. You have no notes, so there shouldn't be any problem. That's my opinion. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

And  I am pretty sure you will have no problems using your existing home insurance.  Unfortunately at some point the Thai Immigration folks may go by the letter and not like you not having Thai insurance and not having those director's letter thingys.  Time will tell how this will shake out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Why? Because it was easier and one stop shopping.  You get the OA in your home country. You put the 800k deposit in YOUR country initially or the 65k income proof in your own country.  No extra travel or conversions needed once you arrive in Thailand.  And of course used to not have to worry about mandatory insurance, but that is not true at the moment.

You don't need any conversions here if you start with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa. You just go to immigration after 60 days, and you'll have a 1 year extension for 1900 baht. No medical check or police record check at home needed. No insurance either. I can park the money in the bank, and with better interest than in many banks overseas. 

9 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

For what it’s worth, I flew into Bangkok this evening (October 31) with my non imm o-a multi entry visa that I purchased in June.

Things worked exactly as they over over the past several years - little or,no conversation and I was stamped in until October 2020.

Thanks for that report.

Given the lack of reports to the contrary and that the new order was effective yesterday,  I think we can probably assume IOs at airports are not applying this rule to people on OA visas that were  issued prior to the 31st.   

Presumably any OA visas newly issued from here on will have Embassy notation about insurance, and it will some months before we get any reports of how IOs at entry points  handle second entries.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

nah.  800k is baht about 26,000 USD. I get over 5% on all my investment monies here in the USA.  Neglecting the earnings difference, the way Thailand changes things I would think that putting any significant amount of money in any Thai institution is an inherently risky proposition.

That's a bit paranoid in my opinion. My money can be transferred back overseas if I'm leaving Thailand. There are banking laws here,too. Don't listen to whining posters. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I was issued my O-A Visa on October 8th at the Thai Consulate General - Los Angeles.  At the time it was not a requirement to prove you had sufficient insurance prior to issuing the Visa.  I have yet to leave for Thailand but will be this next week.  I am wondering if I might have any issues upon arrival when they see the date the Visa was issued and the fact I entered after the new requirement date. 

The post#37 by SpokaneAl confirmed he had no problems entering Thailand with a pre October 31st issued OA Visa.

The Immigration Officers at Thai entry-points have been instructed to look for Embassy-added notes re the Health Insurance requirement on OA Visas.  Since your Visa was issued pre October 31st, it does not have any of such notes and hence no worries.

Still it would be much appreciated when you would post your experience on entering next week.

After all, this is Thailand and only multiple reports of people confirming that Non Imm OA Visas issued before Oct 31st are not queried on health insurance, will take away the doubts/uncertainty surrounding the issue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

All O-A visa holders are required to have health insurance. My O-A visa was issued on February 5, 2019 in Los Angeles California and I am required to have proof of health insurance when I apply for an extension of that visa in February. Am I required to have health insurance right now? NO! I am, however, required to have it in February as one of the requirements for getting the aforementioned extension of my O-A visa. So, in your case, I would guess that you will have no worries about health insurance until October 7, 2020 when, and if, you apply for an extension. That's just a guess though.

29 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

All O-A visa holders are required to have health insurance. My O-A visa was issued on February 5, 2019 in Los Angeles California and I am required to have proof of health insurance when I apply for an extension of that visa in February. Am I required to have health insurance right now? NO! I am, however, required to have it in February as one of the requirements for getting the aforementioned extension of my O-A visa. So, in your case, I would guess that you will have no worries about health insurance until October 7, 2020 when, and if, you apply for an extension. That's just a guess though.

Contrary to what your write, it is not 100% sure that ALL O-A Visa holders that apply for an extension of stay will need to comply with the new health insurance requirement.  For sure it will apply to those holders of an O-A Visa issued after Oct 31 of this year.  But it remains to be seen whether also holders of O-A Visas issued before that date or holders of permissions to stay based on original O-A, will need to comply with the new requirement.

Yes, there have been several reports of immigration officers telling OA holders that they will need to have health insurance when they come for their next extension of stay.  And yes, the Police Order re the health insurance requirement enforcement mentions 'extensions of stay'.

But there are also other reports and interpretations of the new requirement.

Anyway, in course of coming weeks we will know for sure when the first OA holders will visit their provincial IO's for extensions of stay.  It's a crazy situation and to avoid utter chaos a clear instruction/guideline from IO Headquarters would be very welcome to end the confusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Contrary to what your write, it is not 100% sure that ALL O-A Visa holders that apply for an extension of stay will need to comply with the new health insurance requirement.  For sure it will apply to those holders of an O-A Visa issued after Oct 31 of this year.  But it remains to be seen whether also holders of O-A Visas issued before that date or holders of permissions to stay based on original O-A, will need to comply with the new requirement.

Yes, there have been several reports of immigration officers telling OA holders that they will need to have health insurance when they come for their next extension of stay.  And yes, the Police Order re the health insurance requirement enforcement mentions 'extensions of stay'.

But there are also other reports and interpretations of the new requirement.

Anyway, in course of coming weeks we will know for sure when the first OA holders will visit their provincial IO's for extensions of stay.  It's a crazy situation and to avoid utter chaos a clear instruction/guideline from IO Headquarters would be very welcome to end the confusion.

I think the police order says everything,but that's not the problem. The problem is the IO's and if they understand the police order. 

11 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I think the police order says everything,but that's not the problem. The problem is the IO's and if they understand the police order. 

The Police Order is not clear, and there are 2 interpretations possible:

1. Everything in the Police Order ONLY applies to Non Imm OA Visas issued after Oct 31 (including the 'extension' part, as these post Oct 31 Visas would eventually also be prone for extension and that's why extension is mentioned in the Police Order).

2. The requirements mentioned under the 'Extension' part of the Police Order, apply to all Non Imm OA Visas irrespective at what date they have been issued.

There are arguments for both views, but obviously only 1 can be correct.  It would be utter folly to let each provincial IO decide which interpretation has to be enforced, so there is an urgent need for a clear IO HeadQuarter instruction/guideline so that the new requirement will be applied as intended.

Note: Luckily for Immigration Offices at the borders, it is clear that people entering/re-entering Thailand on a Non Imm OA Visa issued prior to Oct 31, are NOT required to meet the health insurance requirement.

I hope this logic will also be extended to the provincial IO's dealing with extensions of stay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

That's a bit paranoid in my opinion. My money can be transferred back overseas if I'm leaving Thailand. There are banking laws here,too. Don't listen to whining posters. 

don't listen to rude and crude people that like to insult anybody they can at anytime

20 hours ago, erinsf said:

1.  Kaiser will not work in Thailand.  You can get reimbursed yourself for an EMERGENCY, possibly.  But, the Thai requirements include :  400K thb coverage for hospital and 40K for outpatient.  

2.  We too are applying for an OA.  We are purchasing through AETNA.  They complete all the forms you need and get approval from govt.  We had to take a Ruby Plan.  AETNA was by far the most affordable at one point. 

3.  We are in Thailand right now but, they will help you via email...so, you can do it online, too. And, they speak English. 

And AETNA will not renew over 70 yearts old. Been there.

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The Police Order is not clear, and there are 2 interpretations possible:

1. Everything in the Police Order ONLY applies to Non Imm OA Visas issued after Oct 31 (including the 'extension' part, as these post Oct 31 Visas would eventually also be prone for extension and that's why extension is mentioned in the Police Order).

2. The requirements mentioned under the 'Extension' part of the Police Order, apply to all Non Imm OA Visas irrespective at what date they have been issued.

There are arguments for both views, but obviously only 1 can be correct.  It would be utter folly to let each provincial IO decide which interpretation has to be enforced, so there is an urgent need for a clear IO HeadQuarter instruction/guideline so that the new requirement will be applied as intended.

Note: Luckily for Immigration Offices at the borders, it is clear that people entering/re-entering Thailand on a Non Imm OA Visa issued prior to Oct 31, are NOT required to meet the health insurance requirement.

I hope this logic will also be extended to the provincial IO's dealing with extensions of stay.

I don't think it's clear to every immigration officer at every border. It has never happened before. 

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I don't think it's clear to every immigration officer at every border. It has never happened before. 

The Immigration Officers at Thai entry-points have been instructed to look for Embassy-added notes re the Health Insurance requirement on OA Visas.

That's a clear instruction.  Any Visa issued before Oct 31 will not have such notes, and hence 'business as usual' and no problems expected there.  And for sure the lone rogue border immigration officer that insists on evidence of approved health insurance will be over-ruled by his superior on that issue.   

The post#37 by SpokaneAl already confirmed he had no problems entering Thailand yesterday with a pre October 31st issued OA Visa.

33 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

It would be utter folly to let each provincial IO decide which interpretation has to be enforced, so there is an urgent need for a clear IO HeadQuarter instruction/guideline so that the new requirement will be applied as intended.

And yet thats how pretty much everything at every level is done here. immigration, land offices, vehicle registration, etc.. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The Immigration Officers at Thai entry-points have been instructed to look for Embassy-added notes re the Health Insurance requirement on OA Visas.

That's a clear instruction.  Any Visa issued before Oct 31 will not have such notes, and hence 'business as usual' and no problems expected there. 

Yet there is no instruction on what to do in cases without notes.. The same as those with notes ?? Different ?? 

There is an instruction to look for a note, your making the rest up (as will they). Maybe thats good, maybe its not, time will tell. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, erinsf said:

1.  Kaiser will not work in Thailand.  You can get reimbursed yourself for an EMERGENCY, possibly.  But, the Thai requirements include :  400K thb coverage for hospital and 40K for outpatient.  

2.  We too are applying for an OA.  We are purchasing through AETNA.  They complete all the forms you need and get approval from govt.  We had to take a Ruby Plan.  AETNA was by far the most affordable at one point. 

3.  We are in Thailand right now but, they will help you via email...so, you can do it online, too. And, they speak English. 

You're saying you're applying for an O-A Visa, and you're in Thailand right now. How can you apply for a Visa which is only obtainable in your home country? 

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I am not affected as I am married and will be going for Marriage extension but This medical insurance requirement for Non IMM A-O is not a very well thought out plan, IMO if the government will require it, they need to create a government backed plan for uninsurables over a certain age . Perhaps the ability to buy into the National Health Plan. The current situation is crazy IMO.

The idea about a mandatory insurance isn't bad per se. But, the required coverage 400k with 40k outpatient together with the ridiculous prices, that's the crazy part. Who needs 40k outpatient coverage, and 400k doesn't cover much if you're real sick and are staying in Phuket,BKK or Pattaya. You have to go to government hospitals. They didn't have to create expensive special insurances for Long Stay Visas. 

• Like 1