Health Insurance: Non-Imm O-A

27 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

Okay, your visa was to expire on December 9, 2019, but look at the entry stamp when you entered Thailand in December 2018------does it say something to the effect that you're permitted to remain in the kingdom until December 2020? 

Why would it say that? The second year is more of a loophole. 

18 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

"

yes but unfortunately even the Thais will have to ask or address the question, why require long stay OA to have insurance but not require long stay O to have insurance?  Both are long stay and for so called "risky" expats.  If the Thais are willing to dismiss the equivalence of O and OA, then the only reason left is the insurance ploy is a pure money grab scheme, and they get foreigner's money before they even leave their home countries.  Of course Thai Saving face mentality would never admit to such a thing if it were true.  Sadly, I predict O or any long term visa or extension will require Thai insurance soon.  The only reason that may not happen is because there may be an uproar from the local Thais that depend on the foreigners and expats for support, marriage, children raising etc.  If insurance becomes draconian, well the expats may have to leave.

Don't be so paranoid. 

Why do you think the new requirements from March 1 for the >800k in the bank method,is never go below 400k? Do you really think it's a coincident that the minimum insurance coverage for the O-A is 400k? They don't need to have 1 baht in a Thai bank. I have a s**tload of money compared to them. And others too. 

23 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

This is only the curtain raiser, not the Grand Finale. It is coming to all long term extensions. Remember where you heard it first.

That's bs. Why do you think people using the >800k in the bank method can't go below 400k since March 1? Do you think it's a coincidence that the minimum coverage for the insurance is 400k? People on O-A Visas don't need 1 bath in the bank,while people with the O Visa with extension normally have a lot of money in the bank. Plus, many of them already have insurances. I bet this never occurred to you. 

29 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

This is only the curtain raiser, not the Grand Finale. It is coming to all long term extensions. Remember where you heard it first.

Should I not bother about my just in case monthly SWIFT transfers then?

18 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Really? Can you explain why O-X visa holders need an initial 3 million baht in a bank account allowing a withdrawal down to but not less than 1.5 million baht and still require Health Insurance? And please, this very much 'All occurs to me'.

Don't compare the O-X with the O-A. That's a stupid comparison,and you should have known it before you posted your comment. The O-A Visa is designed for people not staying more than 2 years and don't meet the financial requirements for the O Visa with extension and can't afford parking >800k in a Thai bank. You are the only one that brings up the O-X Visa in this thread, and that shows you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Edited by Max69xl
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Don't be so paranoid. 

Why do you think the new requirements from March 1 for the >800k in the bank method,is never go below 400k? Do you really think it's a coincident that the minimum insurance coverage for the O-A is 400k? They don't need to have 1 baht in a Thai bank. I have a s**tload of money compared to them. And others too. 

I am not paranoid at all despite your continued use of the word and attempts to categorize anybody that suggests issues with the process.  It does not directly affect me at all as I am not in Thailand and have many ways around the insurance if I choose to go there.  Your reasoning is irrational and inane

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

... unless as I said, the locals really do complain as many expats pull out and leave, leaving many families and wives and children without farang support

Do you think that Thai authorities have enough brain to understand this ; now I wonder, they took so many stupid decisions these last months 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

That's bs. Why do you think people using the >800k in the bank method can't go below 400k since March 1? Do you think it's a coincidence that the minimum coverage for the insurance is 400k? People on O-A Visas don't need 1 bath in the bank,while people with the O Visa with extension normally have a lot of money in the bank. Plus, many of them already have insurances. I bet this never occurred to you. 

And yet both extensions need 800k in the bank.. and one requires insurance on top, why not the other? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, domdom said:

Hello,

Yesterday a french guy made his extension of stay in Jomtien (some years ago he had a OA visa he extended).. Came back as told today to get his passport back..

This morning they told him his extension won t be made unless he has a thai health insurance (he has a french one covering 100%)..

Otherwise they told him to change for O visa..

So, it appears both different officers who told me last week we were non concerned if already on extension of stay, told BS

Have a nice evening

So where are we now in relation to Jomtien and extensions based on an original O-A permission, 2 saying insurance not required and 1 saying it is? And will I need to dig out my old passport with the original  O-Visa from 13 years ago when I apply to do my extension soon, to confirm I did not have an O-A? Or is it explicit in the transfer stamp, which says Non-Imm-O.

And fond memories I have of it being easily obtained from Hull, that Non-Imm-O Multi Entry, for just under 100 quid with hardly any requirements!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Nonsense.. it's 'designed' as a long stay Visa and is almost identical to a non immigrant o. The fact it has a few more obstacles to obtain explains its 1 year entry advantage.  

non-o is a 90 day visa. how can ask for 1 YEAR insurance for 90 DAY stay?!

i mean why stop there? if over 50 may as well ask for insurance for 30 day tourist visa and VOA too :cheesy:

1 year extensions may however be treated differently but if they do non-o/b/ed they will have to do elite as well because anyone who thinks they will be here more than 10 years will just buy that and sign up for real insurance (5M baht + 200K+ deductible, no out-patient) or self-insure

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

Can we imagine that foreigner with thai wife visa will have to pay a Thai insurance ? 

the wives will gather and kick off for sure and the authorities cannot deport THEM.

try telling your wife housekeeping 100K baht short this year - oh my days ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

" on your 11th Retirement extension"   Are you saying that you got your O-A in 2008 and have been getting extensions annually by just doing an 'in & out' before the expiring date ? for 11 years now.

No, not "in & out"....annual extensions where I go to my servicing IO and apply for another retirement extension of stay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

Some authorities do grasp the potential issues of this new insurance policy and what its affects may be on local marriages to expats, families, dependent children if the expat just has to leave.  It is a money grab. And at the moment, the insurance industry and its backers had the biggest hammer.  And this may be a pet project of one of the bigwigs in the government and things will just have to  run their course for a while before some other agency or office or big official rules otherwise.

i was thinking about this money grab thing yesterday and not so sure how effective it will be. surely 90%+ of all applicants will just go with pacific cross as they seem to be the only one with (good!) english speaking representatives. all the others will pick up the crumbs left over.

i used to be a broker and can tell you all 10% of 80K retirees is <deleted> all market in the insurance world, its peanuts.

or is pacific cross a 100% thai owned company?

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

The OA visa has NOTHING to do with not staying more than 2 years!  It is expressly designed as the gateway for people that are planning to stay more than two years.  And your comments about the 800k are stupid. OA Visa people have to either bank 800k in their own home accounts originally or do the 65k income method again originally in their home country.  You really have no idea how to process information

Absolutely correct!

Back in 2004, when I got my OA visa, the Thai government of the day were actively promoting the OA visa as the gateway to long term retirement in Thailand.

I am frankly disgusted now at the prospect of not being able to do a further extension, next June, because my original visa was non-OA and not non-O.  This is discrimination and i don't see the logic behind it, unless it is a deliberate attempt to retroactively apply a new rule, with the sole purpose of evicting elderly retirees from Thailand.  Even this makes little sense as there will be plenty of retirees on extensions to non-O visas who, apparently, will not need insurance - yet!

No way can I get insurance so unless i can find a work-around - maybe change to a non-O visa - I shall be leaving here in June.  Maybe my wife and family will be sad to see me go and they will certainly miss their meal ticket!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

i was thinking about this money grab thing yesterday and not so sure how effective it will be. surely 90%+ of all applicants will just go with pacific cross as they seem to be the only one with (good!) english speaking representatives. all the others will pick up the crumbs left over.

i used to be a broker and can tell you all 10% of 80K retirees is <deleted> all market in the insurance world, its peanuts.

or is pacific cross a 100% thai owned company?

"Pacific Cross Insurance is part of Pacific Cross International, a group with operating entities in Hong Kong, the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and Cambodia."

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

the wives will gather and kick off for sure and the authorities cannot deport THEM.

try telling your wife housekeeping 100K baht short this year - oh my days ????

The Thai authorities don't care a hoot about a bunch of uppity 'mia falangs'.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So where are we now in relation to Jomtien and extensions based on an original O-A permission, 2 saying insurance not required and 1 saying it is? And will I need to dig out my old passport with the original  O-Visa from 13 years ago when I apply to do my extension soon, to confirm I did not have an O-A? Or is it explicit in the transfer stamp, which says Non-Imm-O.

And fond memories I have of it being easily obtained from Hull, that Non-Imm-O Multi Entry, for just under 100 quid with hardly any requirements!

multiple reports on facebook thai visa advice groups now saying they have been refused extensions at jomtien on existing (pre oct31) non-oa's without insurance.

not sure allowed to link the groups here but search on facebook and you will find them

• Thanks 1