High Season: "Tourists will be safe and we will be good hosts" says tourist police chief

webfact

High Season: "Tourists will be safe and we will be good hosts" says tourist police chief

1pm1.jpg
Picture: 77kaoded

Thailand's tourist police chief appeared at a press conference yesterday to declare that tourists would be safe and sound this high season and the country will act as hood hosts to the millions of visitors expected. 

Pol Lt-Gen Chettha Komonwanthana appeared with his minions at the Divalux Resort and Spa Hotel in Lat Krabang to present the results of several top cases showcasing Thailand's determination to present the right image.

The Lt-Gen said he was acting in line with government policy.

Six cases to inspire confidence were selected among 723 cases resulting in 766 arrests by the tourist police whose powers stretch well beyond the domain of tourism. 

1pm2.jpg
Picture: 77kaoded

These were the cases resolved in the period from October 24th to 30th:

1. Thirteen South Koreans were arrested for running a 30 million baht online sports betting operation.

2. A Thai man called "Best" was arrested for fraud in connection with pool villa bookings. He was an agent who tried to divert people on a booking site to rent his properties. His main source of income was to fraudulently keep security deposits. He made about 300,000 baht from this activity and there were 30 victims. 

3. A thieving German was arrested in Pattaya. He found a wallet at Central Marina belonging to a Korean and kept the 700,000 won (17,500 baht) inside it for himself. 

4. A Thai woman was arrested for running an illegal tour company called Privilege Cargo and Trading out of premises in Sukhumvit Soi 13 in Bangkok. 

5. A dealer called "Chai" was arrested in Patong, Phuket, for supplying ganja to tourists. He was caught with half a kilo of dried, compressed ganja. 

6. An Italian man was arrested on 2,531 days overstay. The Italian had entered Thailand on a tourist visa in 2011 and was being investigated for embezzling 2 million baht at a company where he worked. He failed to turn up in court and went into hiding. He is now in the hands of the Bo Phut police on Koh Samui. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-31

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand's tourist police chief appeared at a press conference yesterday to declare that tourists would be safe and sound this high season and the country will act as hood hosts to the millions of visitors expected. 

what is a hood host????

First time I've heard the word Host used in connection with tourists.

Unfortunately the average Thai does not understand the word host and the attitude and behavior it implies.

We are always reminded that we are just guests here and it's all down to us to conform to local customs and attitudes. Fair enough but as we are invited here Thais also have a responsibility to behave as "Hosts", make allowances and treat us the invited guests that we are.

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

"Tourists will be safe and we will be good hosts"

Another day, another enormous banner, another trailing commission and the usual self promotion by the police. 

No mention about death or injury awaiting tourists travelling Thailand by road or sea. Or the greatest killer of all....the sleeping driver. 

25 minutes ago, kotsak said:

what is a hood host????

It must be street talk, "hood", short for "neighbourhood".

(Western lingo is creeping into Thailand)

But seriously, we all know it's a typo and was supposed to read as "good".

The majority of Thais fail to comprehend that tourists mostly came here (and returned) in the past due to the incredible amount of diversity and culture that existed in the country.

In the north you could have maybe 10 languages and dialects in a 100kms radius. Not to mention costumes, textiles, food etc etc. The past years have a seen a complete annihilation of the diversity that existed and attracted people here in the first place. Present day Thailand exhibits a confounding sameness of language, dress, uniform, behaviour, food choices etc etc. Ironically you have a line up of the stifling conformity that illustrates the point perfectly. One almost feels as though one should be equipped with protective gear to find a trail through the minefield , instead of taking an entertaining and relaxing holiday.

Robbed of my wallet by a Nigerian or cremated in a mini bus inferno.i know which one I would choose.

they are totally clueless on looking after tourists.

how about giving thais a proper prison sentence for crimes against tourists and show you really mean business and care about your their reputation of Thailand.

34 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Looks like ole Gen Chettha has taken a leaf out of Big Jokes lines.

We will be good hosts:cheesy::cheesy:Pray tell what experience you have, and what qualifies you to make that statement.

This is the first time I can recall ever seeing/hearing this guy's name... publicity wise... It kinda seemed the Tourist Police had gone into PR hiding in the wake of BJ's departure.

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

First time I've heard the word Host used in connection with tourists.

Unfortunately the average Thai does not understand the word host and the attitude and behavior it implies.

We are always reminded that we are just guests here and it's all down to us to conform to local customs and attitudes. Fair enough but as we are invited here Thais also have a responsibility to behave as "Hosts", make allowances and treat us the invited guests that we are.

Personally, I regard myself as a paying customer, based on the fact that I have to show a sum of money that the authorities assume will be spent in Thailand. That said, I still have to abide by the theme park rules.

Ah, todays opportunity to heap approbrium and scorn on Thailand's multi-billion tourist industry, avidly seized upon in the first hour.

Why not just copy and paste yesterday's and then everyone can go out and seek the best western breakfast?

If they really care about the farang maybe having more people working at passport control would improve our attitude towards them.  After a 10hour flight I am not to happy about standing in a Que for an hour.   It's not as if a plane load of tourists unexpectedly turns up at Swampy.... 

3. A thieving German was arrested in Pattaya. He found a wallet at Central Marina belonging to a Korean and kept the 700,000 won (17,500 baht) inside it for himself. 

"He found" a wallet.....sounds like a "finder's keeper's" scenario rather than "thieving".

However,I'd personally make an effort to find the owner. If unsuccessful then it's "loser's weeper's".

5. A dealer called "Chai" was arrested in Patong, Phuket, for supplying ganja to tourists. He was caught with half a kilo of dried, compressed ganja. 

How is this going to "instill confidence" in tourist?.......it's more like "DAMN"!!

No mater how they try to re-brand/market faith in Thai-tourism at the ground-level the truth remains: The customer is All-ways WRONG!

Archived