Thailand road carnage: Four dead after pick-up hits motorcycles

webfact

Thailand road carnage: Four dead after pick-up hits motorcycles

77pm.jpg

Four people were reported killed at the scene of a collision between an Isuzu pick up and two Honda motorcycles on a bend in the Petchkasem Highway in Bang Saphan district of Prachuap Khiri Khan. 

The accident occurred at "Takhian bend" between kilometer markers 397 and 398 on the Bangkok bound side of the highway. 

The driver of the pick-up lost control and hit a family on a Honda Wave and a man on a CBR that were all driving on the left. The pick-up then careened into a tree dragging at least one of the bikes with it. 

A 62 year old local man was dead at the wheel of the pick-up. All three people on the Wave were killed. They were a 35 year old man, a 47 year old woman and a nine year old boy. The woman and boy had the same surname. 

A 65 year old man on the CBR was not seriously injured but was taken to hospital. 

Source: Banmuang

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-31

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The driver of the pick-up lost control and hit a family on a Honda Wave and a man on a CBR that were all driving on the left. The pick-up then careened into a tree dragging at least one of the bikes with it. 

this is why so many die on motorcycles in lawless Thailand - they are victims of lunatics like this pickup driver, ultimately it is because the police are ineffective at enforcement of traffic laws so people just drive however they feel like, speeding - drunk - using phones - watching tv etc - lawless lunatics 

On 10/31/2019 at 10:39 AM, holy cow cm said:

Yikes. Again, Thai people do not have common driving sense or know how to control their vehicles other than hitting the gas pedal. Just how many expats and foreigners do you hear of ever having accidents like this here? I cannot think of even one. 

I disagree expats are just as bad as Thais. There have been several fatal accidents involving expat/tourists despite our minuscule numbers in the kingdom. I recall many incidents where I witnessed crazy driving and muttered <deleted> Somchai only to see an expat behind the wheel. The only difference between them and us is law enforcement. Despite our superior police forces in the west we still have many people speeding, driving drunk and recklessly. Many expats go native behind the wheel in Thailand because of the poor law enforcement myself included. 

On 10/31/2019 at 1:36 PM, Sakeopete said:

I disagree expats are just as bad as Thais. There have been several fatal accidents involving expat/tourists despite our minuscule numbers in the kingdom. I recall many incidents where I witnessed crazy driving and muttered <deleted> Somchai only to see an expat behind the wheel. The only difference between them and us is law enforcement. Despite our superior police forces in the west we still have many people speeding, driving drunk and recklessly. Many expats go native behind the wheel in Thailand because of the poor law enforcement myself included. 

Not the point and not talking about small accidents. Have you ever seen an expat or tourist do what the Thai tend to do on a daily basis in vehicle gymnastics? I really cannot recall any that take the cake.

In my 30 odd years here I have never personally seen any ex pat cut the corners off like 75% of local driver/riders do.  We have all experienced vehicles either overtaking on blind corners or cutting off the corner whether oncoming traffic is visible or or not.  If its a dual carriageway they will blindly swing from lane to lane and as this accident happened on a bend, well, draw your own conclusions.

16 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Not the point and not talking about small accidents. Have you ever seen an expat or tourist do what the Thai tend to do on a daily basis in vehicle gymnastics? I really cannot recall any that take the cake.

Absurd generalisations

Happened yesterday.

60 dead, 49 of them motorcycle riders.

And in this case it's NOT the fault of the motorcycle riders.

60 dead: keep this number in mind when the usual "dangerous days" nonsense comes up (for New Year, Songkran). Numbers in the 50/60 range.

Every day is a dangerous day.

25 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Absurd generalisations

Sorry. In all my years here I have seen some real doozies that leave the mind boggled. Even if there were no fatalities.

But one of the worst was just coming a bit after a CM - Chiang Rai bus accident who did not quite make the notorious and famous lethal corner. Was years ago. Need not to say anymore as the bodies were freshly pulled and lined up one after the other with blood oozing everywhere. But oddly enough that was not the only bus, truck or vehicle accident that had fatal consequences that I saw on that same very corner. And those are just a few to several in that one exact place I mentioned..

5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Yikes. Again, Thai people do not have common driving sense or know how to control their vehicles other than hitting the gas pedal. Just how many expats and foreigners do you hear of ever having accidents like this here? I cannot think of even one. 

Hmm,...I read of several Farangs having accidents, mostly drunk driving !!!

Rip to the victims. 

Very sad that the simple change of culture, to patrol the roads and enforce the law, would reduce accidents and at the same time reduce lawless crazy driving. 

I think the riders were driving the wrong direction and the driver went out of his lane to cut the corner but trying to avoid the cyclists, could not and lost control.  

2 hours ago, aussie11950 said:

Rip to the victims. 

Very sad that the simple change of culture, to patrol the roads and enforce the law, would reduce accidents and at the same time reduce lawless crazy driving. 

I think the riders were driving the wrong direction and the driver went out of his lane to cut the corner but trying to avoid the cyclists, could not and lost control.  

Quite right. If the riders were driving in the same direction as the pick-up driver, I would say that the chances of this accident happening would be severely reduced. Huh ?

7 hours ago, smedly said:

this is why so many die on motorcycles in lawless Thailand - they are victims of lunatics like this pickup driver, ultimately it is because the police are ineffective at enforcement of traffic laws so people just drive however they feel like, speeding - drunk - using phones - watching tv etc - lawless lunatics 

Those responsible for roadway safety are absent and not displaying colorful posters; adorned with photos, charts  graphs and other promotions of their inept and impotent ability to deal with the horrendous roadway carnage.

3 hours ago, aussie11950 said:

Rip to the victims. 

They were driving on the left. I am trying to figure out where you think they should have been.  Or did I miss something?

I seen a vehicle here forget to turn into soi until just past so just swing into wrong side were 5 - 6 motorcycles were. God only knows how they were missed.

Not a single person blinked or said anything. They really just don't want to know.

I just got back from 2 weeks in Japan where the driving was great...within a hour I said to my partner I hate Thailand drivers...so many stupid manoeuvres, dangerous acts of no gain overtaking, no lights...including tractors, cutting you up, you forget how bad it is until you escape to a modern country that actually gives a xxxx about other people on the road.

6 hours ago, gavlar said:

I just got back from 2 weeks in Japan where the driving was great...within a hour I said to my partner I hate Thailand drivers...so many stupid manoeuvres, dangerous acts of no gain overtaking, no lights...including tractors, cutting you up, you forget how bad it is until you escape to a modern country that actually gives a xxxx about other people on the road.

The highlighted part does my head in when driving in Thailand. 

Overtaking when there is no room, then pushing in when they eventually overtake causing a ripple affect  when one car has to brake to let the selfish turd in.

34 years of driving in OZ and not even close to one accident. Every year in Thailand I come close and last year we were mere seconds from being wiped out by pure selfishness twice.

In England if you see someone at night with no lights on we used to give them a couple of flashes then they would realise they had forgot to turn on their lights, Not here I see loads driving with no lights on, I flashed one the other night must have been a farang coz when I looked back he turned them on.

Just came home after a 8 day round-trip from Hua Hin to Kanchanaburi, Nakhon Sawan, Tak, Mae Sot, Mae Sarawan, Mae Hong Son, Pai, Chiang Rai and then back down.

I find Thais are the worst drivers I have ever seen. And its not just the pickups or SUVs. Its also the small Jazz or other pimped up car blasting away down the highway with 1 meter clearance to other cars/motorbikes. Changing lanes every second.

Thailand really needs to do something about the driving skills and traffic awareness of EVERYONE. A great start would be a new class at 7 years old where they learn traffic awareness. Then learn driving skill in another class when they are older.

RIP to the victims of just another senseless idiotic accident in the Land of Smiles.

Very true that the expats take over the bad habbits: Here in BKK, many acquaintances drive home totally drunk after a party and when pulled over by the Bangkok Police, the safe passage to carry on usually costs around THB 500,-  ,.... so sorry, but the foreigners are no better when it comes to rash road patterns. The problem needs to be tackled with a honest police force who will efficiently enforce the law, but very small chance for it to happen.

I've gone native big time and don't give a toss how many kill themselves.i also like the pictures of wreckages and some blood and guts if possible.

i drive like a moron,do what ever I want,haven't got a license,insurance but do have lights so I'm learning slowly.

Archived