Thailand taking on far more of world’s garbage

webfact

By THE NATION

800_0140f4ce7e719fb.jpg?v=1572492314

The amount of waste shipped to Thailand from around the world skyrocketed by 2,000-7,000 per cent between 2017 and this year, according to the watchdog group Earth (Ecological Alert and Recovery – Thailand).

The dramatic leap came after China decided it no longer wanted to be the world’s garbage bin and halted all imports of waste, which it had initially accepted because of the money to be made from recycling.

At a recent seminar, Earth presented the results of a study on the effects of China’s decision on Thailand.

trash.jpg

It found that, in the past five years, the import of waste from overseas for disposal or use as industrial material had expanded rapidly. 

Government policy prohibits the import of electronic waste in more than 400 categories, but Earth believes the list needs clarification and a formal prohibition regarding plastic waste imports should be announced within the next two years.

It said current law is limited regarding waste control, litigation and solutions and called on the government to hasten an announcement of the prohibited-waste list and strengthen its 3Rs campaign (reduce, reuse and recycle).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377919

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-31

1 hour ago, webfact said:

At a recent seminar, Earth presented the results of a study on the effects of China’s decision on Thailand.

Why do I get the impression that this sentence paints Thailand as a poor, innocent victim?

After all, the country could just could've banned the import of foreign garbage the same way China did. But since there's money to be made... 

A typical series of TVF responses lashing out at Thailand as usual.

How about hurling a few brickbats at the, so called' developed nations' who are dumping their trash on the rest of the world.

Starting with my own country the UK as one of the world's leading trash exporters. DISGRACEFUL. 

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

How about hurling a few brickbats at the, so called' developed nations' who are dumping their trash on the rest of the world.

Starting with my own country the UK as one of the world's leading trash exporters. DISGRACEFUL. 

Sure but no one forces Thailand to accept this trash.

If you want to buy my trash i'll happily sell it to you too...

3 hours ago, webfact said:

It found that, in the past five years, the import of waste from overseas for disposal or use as industrial material had expanded rapidly. 

Not surprised, the Baht is too high and they can't EX-port that S*****t back :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The dramatic leap came after China decided it no longer wanted to be the world’s garbage bin and halted all imports of waste, which it had initially accepted because of the money to be made from recycling.

So Thailand decided to import this cash-cow and are now regretting it.  Now I understand why so many Chinese tourists come here; just to dump their rubbish.

55 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

47 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Sure but no one forces Thailand to accept this trash.

If you want to buy my trash i'll happily sell it to you too...

The developed countries cannot claim the moral high ground and lecture the rest of the world until they put their own houses in order. The exporters of this trash are just as guilty as those countries that accept it.

I wonder how many of them make any inquiries as to what becomes of the garbage they dispose of. The UK certainly didn't when they dumped ship loads on Malaysia.

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The developed countries cannot claim the moral high ground and lecture the rest of the world until they put their own houses in order. The exporters of this trash are just as guilty as those countries that accept it.

I wonder how many of them make any inquiries as to what becomes of the garbage they dispose of. The UK certainly didn't when they dumped ship loads on Malaysia.

No one here is claiming moral high ground.

Doesn't change the fact that Thailand is an idiot for allowing these imports.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes the typical how dare you say anything bad about Thailand even if its true. Phew! I take it apone myself to apologise for my beloved UK for forcing Thailand to take our rubbish. It is our fault that we are forcing the Thai government not to ban this practice of self inrichment of the select few to the detriment of their country. Its all my countries fault and Thailand is the poor victim. What RUBBISH. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Why in the name of Satan would Thailand import garbage. Thailand can't even clean up their own garbage. Just look around, Garbage everywhere No decent garbage disposal /no garbage bins for every house  /no recycle bins/ no regular garbage pickups. people use vacant lots as a dump. never seen a dump or can find one to take extra rubbish that doesn't fit in a bin.when one is cleaning their property, sorry thais don't clean up their properties.

6 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Why do I get the impression that this sentence paints Thailand as a poor, innocent victim?

After all, the country could just could've banned the import of foreign garbage the same way China did. But since there's money to be made... 

Thailand always likes to portrait itself an "innocent victim".  - 'Thailand GOOD - Outside BAD...'

Archived