Bangkok could be completely underwater by 2050, new report claims

webfact

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, tjo o tjim said:

Bangkok’s problem isn’t as much sea level rise but subsistence, like Jakarta.  Something will need to be done... and I am sure it will be, 20-40 years too late. 

Maintaining subsistence could certainly be a problem from the effects of subsidence.... ???? 

4 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

What a load of horsesh*t. How much would the water need to rise in 30 years for BKK to be under water? Certainly a few meters. Doubt that will happen in just 30 years. 

I'm sure seaside property will continue to appraise in value in the coming years, regardless of the alarmist climate change bullcr*p we keep hearing in the news every day.

Maybe the sea will rise a few centimeters in that 30-year period. Whoop-di-f*cking-doo… Start building some dikes perhaps like The Netherlands have been doing for hundreds of years (if it wasn't for the dikes, half of The Netherlands would be under water).

Might not be sea level rise....might be land subsidence, like several of the south and southeast U.S. states. 

Then in other areas, you have land rising, like in northern Canada. Isostatic post glacial rebound. So you’ve got the northern part of North America rising because the weight of the great ice sheet from the last Glacial Period is gone and the southern part of North America is sinking. Like when one person gets off the teeter totter, the other end falls. 

Many other areas of the world rising or sinking for various reasons. Very interesting study.

Sea level rise itself is actually very slow. Only 1.00 to 2.80mm per year. It really slowed down a lot about 8,000 years ago.

Before that, from about 20,000 years ago to 8,000 years ago it was a hell of a lot faster as the last Glacial Period melted back (Global Warming LOL) and it was especially fast during Melt Water Pulse 1-A.

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

That should solve the traffic congestion either that or it's a good time to invest in boat companies!

At least we know where to find the diving companies and the headquarter for the Submarines after year 2050 - at the ground floor ... :thumbsup:

More uncertain where to go when it comes to where to say hello every 90 days ... ????

13 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

What a load of horsesh*t. How much would the water need to rise in 30 years for BKK to be under water? Certainly a few meters. Doubt that will happen in just 30 years. 

Some ground floor units may become already flooded, if the sea water raises only 10 cm. The reason is the weight of a high rise building.

Flooded also does not mean the water will come up to your chin personally. It means that key parts of the infrastructure becomes affected.

A part of a highway flooded, some power lines dysfunktional, some houses with ground water flooding in, subway tunnels 20 cm flooded, some patches of water here and there = that could mean 1/3 of a city dysfunctional.

29 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There are already islands in the South Pacific that have had to be abandoned. And ever heard of Venice, where the floods are getting deeper and more frequent?

Really ?  No cites or references huh?

Just the South Pacific and Venice? 

What about all the rest of the islands and oceans?  

The Maldives in the Indian Ocean were supposed to be submerged by now. Instead, the population is growing and they’re building new resorts.

After alerting the world in September 1988 that the Maldive islands of the Indian Ocean would be submerged by rising seas in less than three decades – due to the so-called first effects of man-made global warming – officials of the United Nations and associated climatologists are scratching their heads that the island chain is still there. 

“A gradual rise in average sea level is threatening to completely cover this Indian Ocean nation of 1196 small islands within the next 30 years,” the Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported in September 1988.

Hmmm....never happened. They’re still there...beautiful beaches and new resorts and all. Funny huh??

A University of Auckland study examined changes in the geography of Tuvalu's nine atolls and 101 reef islands between 1971 and 2014, using aerial photographs and satellite imagery.

It found eight of the atolls and almost three-quarters of the islands grew during the study period, lifting Tuvalu's total land area by 2.9 percent, even though sea levels in the country rose at twice the global average.

Co-author Paul Kench said the research, published Friday in the journal Nature Communications, challenged the assumption that low-lying island nations would be swamped as the sea rose.

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-pacific-nation-bigger.amp

This is another example of the confusion of 'climate change alarmists'. They seem to have an inability to distinguish between sea level rise and land sinking. 

Bangkok is sinking at a greater rate than the global rise of sea level, so that's a problem unrelated to the warming climate.

We have the technology to prevent sea level rise, but it requires lots of energy to build more dams or inland lakes to reduce the amount of water flowing back to the sea, in every country and region when it rains heavily.

Just now, CNXexpat said:

I need to buy more land in Chiang Mai. When it´s becoming wet in Bangkok I will become rich. 

A cunning plan, but I think all the Royals, The Army and Yellow Elite. Police, Civil servants, land office etc, will have already beaten you to it mate

17 minutes ago, peterkroll said:

Some ground floor units may become already flooded, if the sea water raises only 10 cm. The reason is the weight of a high rise building.

Flooded also does not mean the water will come up to your chin personally. It means that key parts of the infrastructure becomes affected.

A part of a highway flooded, some power lines dysfunktional, some houses with ground water flooding in, subway tunnels 20 cm flooded, some patches of water here and there = that could mean 1/3 of a city dysfunctional.

10 centimeters? So at present rate of rise you’re talking 75 - 100 years. 

Lots of time to adjust buildings and locations. I think most people could walk to a higher location over 75 - 100 years. Won’t exactly have to pack up next week and run. 

Just now, alzack said:

A cunning plan, but I think all the Royals, The Army and Yellow Elite. Police, Civil servants, land office etc, will have already beaten you to it mate

Let them buy thousands of rai, I will be happy with my couple of rai. Now it´s still cheap because they will start acting when the first will get wet feet. Typical Thai, not looking in the future. Good for me.

33 minutes ago, peterkroll said:

subway tunnels 20 cm flooded

The subway tunnels will be flooded first and not only 20 cm. If the water is coming, it will flood all below the street level till it´s full. And the station which is closest to the spot where the water is coming will make that ALL tunnels will become full of water.

27 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

I need to buy more land in Chiang Mai. When it´s becoming wet in Bangkok I will become rich. 

.... rich in a smoked manner ...

Bangkok will return to its status as a fishing village, and all the khlongs will be naturally clean and lovely.

And there will be floating brothels. The Venus of the East.

The Lanna and the Isaan peasants will laugh.

5 minutes ago, ttrd said:

.... rich in a smoked manner ...

Nah, during the burning season I will make vacation at the beach in Sukhothai. Not so far from Chiang Mai. Or sell the land and relocate to another country as a rich man ????

Archived