Advice from BKK Immigration Officer : Get the correct visa !

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your using incorrect visa. Surprised you were not pulled up earlier. Sound like cake and eat it too. Obtain non o. 

Next.

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

Agreed with the IO, you need to apply for non-o single or multi. 

TR is.. not for you.. are you a tourist? no

So the London Embassy is wrong then?

Screenshot_20191031-210736_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

@problemfarang

@DrJack54 (it's YOU'RE not your, grammar matters)

You both obviously DID NOT bother to read my visa history in my original post, are you blind ?

I NOW HAVE A NON O

Then I posted.

"I entered on 29th October on my Non O and put "visit wife" on the TM6"

Whether 180 days in Thailand when I also have my house and interests in the UK can be construed as a "vacation" with my wife is a moot point.

Non O of what type?  You didn't say marriage extension.

• Confused 1

I chose the visas to suit my length of stay, as the clampdown on consecutive TR visas had not yet reared its ugly head.

Why pay double when it was not needed ?

I didn't get to be a millionaire by squandering my hard-earned money, putting the maximum every year into stocks and shares ISAs since their inception has worked very well, that and being in one of the best paid professions in the UK with a final salary pension has helped.

The reluctant next step, to avoid all the immigration <deleted>, is probably going to be Thailand Elite, then I can come and go as I please.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

@DrJack54 (it's YOU'RE not your, grammar matters)

Since that matters to you ...

11 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

I NEVER said I had any sort of extension and I have never extended any visa

... then accuracy should matter too.

visas cannot be extended. An extension of stay extends your permission to stay in the country. It does not extend a visa beyond the expiry date printed on it. Surely accuracy matters as much or more than grammar.

• Like 1

@ubonjoe believe me, I have considered all the options, for the 5 consecutive TR visas it was only my intention to stay 60 days at a time and on this Non O it will be exactly 90 days before I go back to Scotland for a rest !

I have never needed or intended to request an extension of permission to stay so far and consequently have taken a chance and swerved the TM30.

The Savannakhet multi Non O is a possible option, but for 3 trips a year, the single entries from Glasgow are only marginally more expensive when you add in the cost of the Laos visa.

Also, crossing that border will exclude me from doing something in the UK that I feel very passionate about, donating blood !

With all the recent changes and clampdowns, the 20 year "Elite Superiority Extension Membership" is looking to be a good option although my wife may have a heart attack when I tell her the cost.

Edited by The Fat Controller

I understand the whole, "I'm a millionaire because I save money" thing.....BUT when we are talking about seeing your wife, family, etc.....I'm not sure how a few thousand baht is worth causing them stress.  but that's just me.  I'll spend billions on my passion and not buy a bowl a soup for 60 baht because I think it should be 40....but we are different.  my two cents.

• Like 2

@Ventenio my wife is quite happy to have her own time too, so me being away is no real issue so far.

It also allows her to start her little projects without a veto from me.

Our main business pays all the bills and more, so she likes to do a side business, anybody want to buy some lovely dates in the Ubon area ? Haha

15 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

The IO had a good look at my history and stamped me in without any issue, however she did say "Good to have the correct visa type, if you had tried to come again with a Tourist Visa we may have refused you entry" 

Yes, and that is my concern also. I'm using a Visa exempt soon to visit my wife for a week. A Visa exempt is for tourism only - visiting your wife isn't tourism and there is a Visa specifically for that. They have every right to refuse entry. I'm simply going to say it is a holiday, and in support of that I have an onward journey to New Zealand after Thailand.

16 hours ago, problemfarang said:

Agreed with the IO, you need to apply for non-o single or multi. 

TR is.. not for you.. are you a tourist? no

So if our plans for next year work ie sell the house on the coast and buy a small house in UK and keep the Bkk house and split time, me in UK 8 or 9 months and my wife doing 6/6 months what will I be, a once a year tourist or an expat coming to Thailand who 'must' have an O visa because I'm married to a Thai???

Edited by overherebc

15 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

@overherebc that is a good point.

I would also be interested to know what came up on the IO's screen when she scanned my Non O Visa, did she actually get any indication of the purpose (married to Thai) or just a generic message that it was valid ?

So many mysteries !

I believe they have access to everything regarding your Immigration history.

A friend recently travelled to the UK with his daughter, and going out they had a bit of trouble reconciling his extensions. The daughter, looks Thai, was educated in England and is very sharp, was standing behind the IO and reports that her father's history of extensions, including all the photos, were on display.

36 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I believe they have access to everything regarding your Immigration history.

A friend recently travelled to the UK with his daughter, and going out they had a bit of trouble reconciling his extensions. The daughter, looks Thai, was educated in England and is very sharp, was standing behind the IO and reports that her father's history of extensions, including all the photos, were on display.

On the way out through DMK the IO spent ages and I mean ages staring at the 60 day extention stamp page in my PP and asking other IO's about it.

I don't think he could understand a one year multi visa lasting 17 months all above board.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

So if our plans for next year work ie sell the house on the coast and buy a small house in UK and keep the Bkk house and split time, me in UK 8 or 9 months and my wife doing 6/6 months what will I be, a once a year tourist or an expat coming to Thailand who 'must' have an O visa because I'm married to a Thai???

I come in as a tourist without a visa, but with  30 day exemption then get a 30 day extension.  At CW the IO told me I could then apply for a further 60 day extension to visit my Thai wife.  However, she said one can only apply for the 60 day extension once each year.  Perhaps the CW officials and those at the airport have different bonus structures.

24 minutes ago, thaibook said:

I come in as a tourist without a visa, but with  30 day exemption then get a 30 day extension.  At CW the IO told me I could then apply for a further 60 day extension to visit my Thai wife.  However, she said one can only apply for the 60 day extension once each year.  Perhaps the CW officials and those at the airport have different bonus structures.

I've been doing two a year for the last three years. ???????? .