Woman driver who killed two in Chiang Mai gets suspended sentence, pays damages

webfact

Woman driver who killed two in Chiang Mai gets suspended sentence, pays damages

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The accident that saw the death of a well known Thai stylist and her friend in January has been resolved by a court. 

Jaturaphat Khemnark or "Centimeter", 28, who was also a TV host,  was drowned along with Suphakit "Joe" Kertcham, 30. 

Centimeter's Honda CRV ended up in the klong on Canal Road after a collision with a Vios driven by 25 year old Wijitra Pukbunreuang. 

After initially denying responsibility a prosecution against Wijitra was mounted by the parents of Joe, Prathin, 65, and Prakhong, 64. 

The Chiang Mai court handed down a three year jail term and 41,000 baht in fines for dangerous driving causing death. 

The jail term and fines were reduced by half on admission by the defendant. The prison term was suspended for two years by the court. 

Wijitra was also ordered to pay the plaintiff's 300,000 baht for funeral expenses and 500,000 baht each in damages. Interest of 7.5% from January 2 will be charged until the sums are fully paid.

They said they were happy with the outcome but there would have been no need to go to court if the defendant had admitted everything from the start and taken responsibility. 

They said they had received 200,000 baht already. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-01

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, mok199 said:

The value of a life in Thailand...

It’s not a value of a life, just compensation to place responsibility and ease the pain of loss. Something that happens all over the world.
Why do westerners constantly overthink things here to suit a worn out and boring narrative ???? 

Disgusting. Only about money for the deceased's family.

Surely the authorities have a duty to punish reckless driving harshly as it is (or should be) a key component in reining in potential bad drivers.

I have read about people getting actual jail time and larger fines for defamation.

The justice system here proving yet again what a shower it is. Pitiful, truly pitiful.

4 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

It’s not a value of a life, just compensation to place responsibility and ease the pain of loss. Something that happens all over the world.
Why do westerners constantly overthink things here to suit a worn out and boring narrative ???? 

You’ve got to be kidding. Or under thinking/ drunk. No jail time? Small fine. Please. Imagine being plowed into surviving a few minutes and drowning!  Oh yah. Nothing to think about. Mai pen rai. She also completely denied it. 

Disgraceful to put it lightly ????????‍♂️

They literally get away with a murder-s on a daily basis ! IMO she should be jailed at least a few years  but also fined for reckless driving causing death of other people !

Just imagine if she had not been a Thai National who would’ve caused  such a massacre, truly sad and disgusting  ☹️

25 minutes ago, bender92 said:

Had to believe the parents are ok with a few baht for their children.

Quite possibly because that don't know that in many other countries there are different rules and values... to them this is standard. Sadly.

29 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

not much can be said besides O M G and they call this a civilized country whereby money can buy "almost" (intelligence can not) everything

Ummm, I have never heard anyone call Thailand a civilized country

I just cant believe the stupidity of the courts in this country. I hope i never do the same but if i did i would tell my lawyer to remind the Judges what somebody else got...... NOTHING, yes i would pay for damages. BUT we know the thais hate forieners and they are racist towards us. Stuoid is stupid does to use the quote

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

In any developed country it would have been 'Causing death by dangerous driving' and she would most likely recieve a sentence of 5-7 years in Jail for causing the deaths of two innocent people !

Unless she was the wife of a diplomat, then there would be no punishment at all.

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

In any developed country it would have been 'Causing death by dangerous driving' and she would most likely recieve a sentence of 5-7 years in Jail for causing the deaths of two innocent people !

Indeed. No mention of her loosing her driving licence either.

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

You’ve got to be kidding. Or under thinking/ drunk. No jail time? Small fine. Please. Imagine being plowed into surviving a few minutes and drowning!  Oh yah. Nothing to think about. Mai pen rai. She also completely denied it. 

And you’ve missed the entire point of what I was saying. Good for you! Congrats 

6 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

By all over the world you mean the monkey countries, where drivers don't properly learn how to drive, have to proof their skills and have to do exam in the traffic law. I think your nickname tells the truth...

6 hours ago, dantilley said:
7 hours ago, webfact said:

Jaturaphat Khemnark or "Centimeter"

6 hours ago, dantilley said:

That's the weirdest Thai nickname I've seen for some time

It simply means 'short of statue', which he was apparently.

Some of you have been here a long time you still do not get it they look at all this very different than it is looked at in the west. You may not agree with it but how is that working out for you. If you want western justice you will need to go back home. 

Archived