Woman driver who killed two in Chiang Mai gets suspended sentence, pays damages

webfact

Um, RIP the two poor souls that had their lives cut short.

But when Thailand drivers can kill or be killed at a rate of over 23,000 individuals or more each year there is very little left to say.

As my divorce lawyer once said to me in court; if you want justice my son St. Mary's Cathedral is across the road.  

This is a courtroom where anything and everything is possible!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, webfact said:

The accident that saw the death of a well known Thai stylist and her friend in January has been resolved by a court.

Two people dead, but in the end money resolves everything...

I know it can't bring them back but a real punishment might just make people more responsible for their actions!

7 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

It’s not a value of a life, just compensation to place responsibility and ease the pain of loss. Something that happens all over the world.
Why do westerners constantly overthink things here to suit a worn out and boring narrative ???? 

Please explain what is the value of life in Thailand?

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

In any developed country it would have been 'Causing death by dangerous driving' and she would most likely recieve a sentence of 5-7 years in Jail for causing the deaths of two innocent people !

Where??? I'm sure you can show us a example in Google!!!

7 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

It’s not a value of a life, just compensation to place responsibility and ease the pain of loss. Something that happens all over the world.
Why do westerners constantly overthink things here to suit a worn out and boring narrative ???? 

1 million baht is what I make per hour. Literally. 1 million baht is a tiny fine for killing two people. An absolute disgrace! What is to Incentivize people to obey the law when all you have to do is pay a small fine to get out of trouble? I’m well aware that murder in Thailand is a 1 million baht fine ( know of a guy that committed 12 and paid 12 x 1 million baht fines ) but one would think that with a public case like this, they would have set the fine to at least 30 million baht. At least.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The Chiang Mai court handed down a three year jail term and 41,000 baht in fines for dangerous driving causing death. 

The jail term and fines were reduced by half on admission by the defendant. The prison term was suspended for two years by the court. 

After all the dust was settled, are we sure the court didn't actually end up ordering the families of the victims to pay some money to the accused?

The way the sentence kept getting cut and cut and cut, it certainly seems it was headed in that direction, if things had gone any further!!!   :w00t: 

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

Not much of a deterrent against reckless driving. 

that surely is the real issue.  Whatever the rights and wrongs of blood money is irrelevant, but it is beyond question that current deterrents are woefully inadequate.

6 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

In any developed country it would have been 'Causing death by dangerous driving' and she would most likely recieve a sentence of 5-7 years in Jail for causing the deaths of two innocent people !

Yes so the taxpayer would foot the bill of keeping them banged up and the victims family would receive noughing 

looks like the drowned peoples car cut off drove into the other car and fell upside down into the water thus flooding passenger compartment fast. not known if seatbelts were on. if not maybe head/neck injuries first. she could have called for help and maybe people on the street could have tried to rescue the occupants. you would need something to break the windows and the ability to swim if alone.  the black car could have also fell into the canal

https://assets.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2019_11/Wijitra.mp4.266bea244e39b66ff67e5bce3c5e8c0d.mp4

1 hour ago, strabel23 said:

The Honda CRV was not in the turning lane but was making a right hand turn across the fast lane and with no turn signal lights on. I wonder who was the real victim in this accident.

That "outside" lane is actually the shoulder, but very poor road markings, esp at night.  Most people turning right there would use the shoulder.  also, the concrete railing was in need of repair & gave way too easily.  What should have been a regular "shunt" involving 2 at fault cars turned into 2 deaths, from bad driving by both parties.  Why did the CRV continue with the turn into the bridge railing?  Or not brake harder?  Prosecution probably only went ahead because "celebs" involved.

3 hours ago, Duck J Butters said:

1 million baht is what I make per hour. Literally. 1 million baht is a tiny fine for killing two people. An absolute disgrace! What is to Incentivize people to obey the law when all you have to do is pay a small fine to get out of trouble? I’m well aware that murder in Thailand is a 1 million baht fine ( know of a guy that committed 12 and paid 12 x 1 million baht fines ) but one would think that with a public case like this, they would have set the fine to at least 30 million baht. At least.

BS

Archived