Jump to content

Woman driver who killed two in Chiang Mai gets suspended sentence, pays damages


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

It’s not a value of a life, just compensation to place responsibility and ease the pain of loss. Something that happens all over the world.
Why do westerners constantly overthink things here to suit a worn out and boring narrative 💤 

In the UK the amount is fixed at around £12,000 for loss of life at the moment (but I haven't checked) caused by the negligence of another plus funeral expenses plus financial loss of support for the deceased's financial dependants which requires proof and the calculations can be complex. Plus interest until payment, plus the claimant's reasonable legal costs to prove first negligence then to prove the financial dependency and it's duration, which includes investigation of the deceased's earnings, their stability and duration.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not a value of a life, just compensation to place responsibility and ease the pain of loss. Something that happens all over the world. Why do westerners constantly overthink things here to suit

Disgusting. Only about money for the deceased's family. Surely the authorities have a duty to punish reckless driving harshly as it is (or should be) a key component in reining in potential bad d

In any developed country it would have been 'Causing death by dangerous driving' and she would most likely recieve a sentence of 5-7 years in Jail for causing the deaths of two innocent people !

Posted Images

5 hours ago, moe666 said:

Some of you have been here a long time you still do not get it they look at all this very different than it is looked at in the west. You may not agree with it but how is that working out for you. If you want western justice you will need to go back home. 

My guess is that most of the posters have never been in Thailand for longer than a two week mongering holiday in Pattaya ten years ago, yet seem qualified to opine on the values of the country. The vast majority of forum members do not reside in Thailand at all. It really confounds me why someone living in a bedsit in Croydon/Clacton/Newcastle even feels the need to read this forum let alone comment. Why would a 'normal' person do that?

Comprehension is seriously lacking as well. The lady got sentenced to three years jail as well as a not insignificant sum of money in compensation. The suspension of the sentence does not let her off from her crime, it is done frequently in the West as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

My guess is that most of the posters have never been in Thailand for longer than a two week mongering holiday in Pattaya ten years ago, yet seem qualified to opine on the values of the country. The vast majority of forum members do not reside in Thailand at all. It really confounds me why someone living in a bedsit in Croydon/Clacton/Newcastle even feels the need to read this forum let alone comment. Why would a 'normal' person do that?

Comprehension is seriously lacking as well. The lady got sentenced to three years jail as well as a not insignificant sum of money in compensation. The suspension of the sentence does not let her off from her crime, it is done frequently in the West as well.

 

Perhaps try a poll - How many Posters Live in Thailand, how many live at home etc. 

 

1) In Thailand full time / Call Thailand home

2) In Thailand for more than 50% of the year

3) In Thailand for a few months a year. 

4) Visit Thailand for a couple of weeks every year

5) Visited Thailand once in the last 5 years

6) Visited Thailand once in the last 10 years

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

 

Perhaps try a poll - How many Posters Live in Thailand, how many live at home etc. 

 

1) In Thailand full time / Call Thailand home

2) In Thailand for more than 50% of the year

3) In Thailand for a few months a year. 

4) Visit Thailand for a couple of weeks every year

5) Visited Thailand once in the last 5 years

6) Visited Thailand once in the last 10 years

Feel free to create one but I expect it would be an exercise in futility. This forum boasts, apparently, in excess of 300,000 members but in most polls I have seen they struggle to get over 100 respondents which may indicate the actual number of members actually living in Thailand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

putting someone in jail for a accident? that would be outrageous. she was sober, and most likely just going about her normal business now her life is in turmoil because she made a wrong turn...  the real crime is the 7.5% interest rate.

 

an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, z42 said:

Disgusting. Only about money for the deceased's family.

Surely the authorities have a duty to punish reckless driving harshly as it is (or should be) a key component in reining in potential bad drivers.

 

I have read about people getting actual jail time and larger fines for defamation.

 

The justice system here proving yet again what a shower it is. Pitiful, truly pitiful.

Money buys anything in Thailand. Absolution of sin, removal of responsibility, abbreviated jail sentences, compensation for 'grieving' relatives, pussy, judges, et al. It happens everywhere, but more open in LOS. Not that bad really (if you have money that is !!)

Edited by Melbun
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, emptypockets said:

My guess is that most of the posters have never been in Thailand for longer than a two week mongering holiday in Pattaya ten years ago, yet seem qualified to opine on the values of the country. The vast majority of forum members do not reside in Thailand at all. It really confounds me why someone living in a bedsit in Croydon/Clacton/Newcastle even feels the need to read this forum let alone comment. Why would a 'normal' person do that?

Comprehension is seriously lacking as well. The lady got sentenced to three years jail as well as a not insignificant sum of money in compensation. The suspension of the sentence does not let her off from her crime, it is done frequently in the West as well.

To get diversity of opinion stupido !! Else if you are living there full time you won't see the wood for the trees and your opinion is extremely coloured.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, z42 said:

Disgusting. Only about money for the deceased's family.

Surely the authorities have a duty to punish reckless driving harshly as it is (or should be) a key component in reining in potential bad drivers.

 

I have read about people getting actual jail time and larger fines for defamation.

 

The justice system here proving yet again what a shower it is. Pitiful, truly pitiful.

She is so lucky she was not a Falang.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, webfact said:

Woman driver who killed two in Chiang Mai gets suspended sentence, pays damages

Another example of social inequality in Thailand and undemocratic flaw of its judicial system - the inappropriate intermixing of a civil case with a criminal case with (ultimately) adjudication based on ability to pay.

While both require evidence for judgement and may share the same evidence, a criminal case requires a degree of evidence "beyond the shadow of doubt" for conviction while a civil case only requires a degree of reasonable evidence without the limit of certainty for a court ruling.

In fact Thailand does have in the Courts of First Instance among its eight different divisions, a division between Civil Courts and Criminal Courts. https://www.nyulawglobal.org/globalex/Thailand.html#CourtsofFirstInstance

It would seem that the present case should be tried in two different court divisions: civil vs criminal.

Why wasn't it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

this accident was a lot more complicated then what it seems. I can understand her feeling of 'not guilty'. A complete investigation might show some results that are surprising. One piece of evidences is how easy the 'wall' crumbled. many more pieces of information.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Feel free to create one but I expect it would be an exercise in futility. This forum boasts, apparently, in excess of 300,000 members but in most polls I have seen they struggle to get over 100 respondents which may indicate the actual number of members actually living in Thailand.

I think TV is similar to many other internet organisations eg Microsoft, Google, Facebook etc. Once you are in, you are in. There is no way to leave and have ALL your past data completely removed.   Or is there?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...