Ministry aims for zero waste, introduces ban on single-use plastics

webfact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

dried fruit, sweets etc, all wrapped in really thick, shiny plastic, and inside these big bags each sweet or snack is individually wrapped in its own mini thick plastic bag

If they weren't individually wrapped, the bag would be infested with those mini-ants after you open it.

15 hours ago, mok199 said:

How do you plan on changing the eating habbits of an entire nation,that eats 3 meals a day served takeout style,in plastic and foam .....

I'm sure that take out style meals did not come into fashion when plastic bags were invented. In fact, I know that's not the case because I was living in Singapore back in the '60s where takeaway was just as popular back then. And no plastic was involved. Banana leaves (biodegradable) and grease proof paper (recyclable) were the norm.

Asians. (this not just problem in Thailand) have always been a versatile and inventive race and they will adapt. 'Necessity is the mother of invention'.

An honorable and visionary plan, for an administration totally lacking in vision and leading one of the least progressive nations on earth. 

Will they be able to put this into practice, in one of the most plastic hungry, and least environmentally conscious nations? 

Perhaps they could show us some good faith, by beginning with bins on every corner in the capital? Then the establishment of trash collection in all the smaller rural towns? Start somewhere. Show is something. Jabbering only gets you so far in this world.

16 hours ago, mok199 said:

How do you plan on changing the eating habbits of an entire nation,that eats 3 meals a day served takeout style,in plastic and foam .....

And the drinking habits where they use plastic bottles (as the water at home is unsafe) by the billion.

BS! there is rubbish dumps closing down cuz local govs dont organize or make compulsory rubbish collection so people just burn it which inturn just kills people. The reason for closing the dumps is because there isnt enough rubbish.

This country is all talk to give a fake good impression of this nation. 

Wheres the cheap elec vehicles, etc.. most people seem to recycle pretty well yet its a toxic enviroment.

Quite worrying about plastic straws and such so just ban em and clean this place up. People can and will adapt to clean sht up if they are somewhat forced.

OMG, this idea is literally the dumbest thing I've heard in Thailand in the last 25 years. And that's saying something.

I guess thats what you get when have a low IQ third (turd) world country being run by unelected knuckle dragging 'tards.

Single use plastics are ESSENTIAL in the food industry for food safety and hygiene. They are also essential in the medical and pharmaceutical industries to ensure medical products and drugs remain sterilized and not contaminated. And probably a lot of other industries as well.

Here's another idea, how about just STOP THROWING THE DAMN PLASTICS INTO THE ENVIRONMENT

Before banning single use plastics, they should ban politicians.

15 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Single-use plastics eh?

Well in theory that should put an end to Big Oud's expensive overblown single use self glorification plastic/vinyl banners which after being used once to promote himself and his team have no further use and are discarded. 

Who are willing to bet that we've seen the last of them; or will double standards raise it's ugly head.....again. 

You see a lot of those vinyl banners used as roofing on poor peoples shacks, so not totally useless...

17 hours ago, Thian said:

They can save so much plastic by not using plastic water bottles....we use a waterfilter at home and that works great.

But the refill filters are expensive, they can be made much cheaper....

Are you carrieing your kitchen on your back when going out the house ??? Or you dont drink ???

13 hours ago, djayz said:

Not to mention the plastic eating utensils. When I asked a few colleagues why they don't use the reusable cutlery in the kitchen I got blank stares and then and answer: It more convenient for me. Why I have to waste my time washing spoon and fork? I am very busy (said she as she turned her attention back to FB and continued scrolling ang scrolling and...). 

That, I believe, sums up the root of the problem: too lazy and too ignorant. If they had to pay extra for all this plastic stuff they might think twice about taking it. 

Theyd still pay it as its better then actually having to work. Its better in a thais eyes to pay money so can be lazy. 

17 hours ago, Thian said:

They can save so much plastic by not using plastic water bottles....we use a waterfilter at home and that works great.

But the refill filters are expensive, they can be made much cheaper....

Are you carrieing your kitchen on your back when going out the house ??? Or you dont drink ???

Good luck Changing behaviors... I wish it were easy but it’s difficult.

When I go to market or shops they want to give bags for this and that and another when one bag can take care of it. I tell them no.

i do need to get in the habit of taking cloth bags I’ve bought to

the market... 

17 hours ago, mok199 said:

My DIL often brings home food in plastic bags and in foam boxes (because she belives food should be prepared outside and because she's too lazy to cook).

But my son will not allow, ever, for food to be eaten out of pastic bags or foam boxes, he insists that his wife put the food onto proper plates / bowls and insists that the family eat with steel curtlery, not throw away plastic spoons etc.  Son also strongly insists that the whole family sit at the dining table at the same time to eat togther and talk together and he asks his 3 kids about school etc.

First few times his in-laws visited they tried to insist on sitting on the floor and everybody eating out of the plastic bags with plastic spoons etc., MIL even bought a box of 500 plastic spoon and fork sets from Makro, son refused to allow it and put the box in her car when she went home, much to her annoyance), 

Son politely but strongly demands everybody (incl. vistors) sit at the table and eat from plates / bowls with real cutlery. 

Son now demands that his wife use cloth bags for all shopping and had told his in-laws to not bring anything to the house in plastic bags.

Biggest 2 blow ups was when his full on loud mid aged overweight lady boy BIL came to the house (he knew the house ules from previous visits) and :

- Insisted that son's 3 kids eat before their father and mother came home on the living room floor with cartoons blaring, and then tried to inists that because he is older (a bit older) than my son he doeen't have to follow son's rules*.  (Son has very advanced education and this intimidates the lady boy re status stuff and he withdraws quickly.)

Son countered by taking lady boy (and son's wife and 3 daughters) to the bedroom the lady boy was using and demanded that lady boy clean up the disgusting mess in the room including many dirty now empty plastic food bags he had pushed under the bed. Lady boy indictated he would do it later. Son countered by telling his wife and 3 kids to sit on the bedroom floor, along with my son, and telling lady boy 'we don't move until you have cleaned up the room and mopped the floor'. Son won the battle. Lady boy didn't return for about 8 months.

- MIL arrived at the house 5 minutes after my son, his wife and 3 kids and me had all started our dinner. MIL instantly opens a very large box of Kit Kat bars, quickly unwraps about a dozen Kit Kat bars and puts several opened bars in front of each kid and oushes them to eat the chocolate bars first. Son quickly picked them all up, put them into a paper bag and back into the bigger cardboard box, put tape around the box and took the box to MIL's bedroom and told her 'don't open the box again and take it home with you'.

Son is winning. 

20 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Looking for non plastic drinking straws for the bar in Makro the other day. After hunting for 10 minutes I asked......Answer.....No Hab. There was however, pallets stacked 2 metres high with every conceivable shape, size, colour, of plastic straws in bags of 500 at a time. :sad:

I found plastic and paper straws side-by-side in Tesco the other day. The paper ones cost double. The only way people will dump plastic is if the alliterative is cheaper, and it never is. Same with organic food. Costs more, so most people don't buy it.

1 hour ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

In the Netherlands they made free public watertaps everywhere so people can refill their bottle for free...what about that huh?

And i drink in restaurants....

Archived