Ministry aims for zero waste, introduces ban on single-use plastics

webfact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, webfact said:

confirmed that four single-use plastic products, namely foam boxes, plastic bags, straws, and glasses will be totally banned from the ministry and its agencies by 2022

Now the fiasco of agencies saying they're not agencies and ministry property saying the are public will begin... just so life can carry-on as normal

19 hours ago, toast1 said:

>Looking for non plastic drinking straws for the bar in Makro the other day. After hunting for 10 minutes I asked......Answer.....No Hab.

Non plastic straws are bad for the environment, they use much more oil to make, are more difficult to dispose of and are an environmental threat.

Paper straws are bad for the environment.

Such is the trendy nonsense of much environmental mythology.

I'm doing my bit to help save the planet by sticking to drinking beer straight from the can or bottle (or even barrel, at a pinch). Straws are for pussies and dipsomaniacs.

1. Shops and supermarkets love plastic as it protects the food, makes it easier to transport and stock/stack, and stops Somchai or his kids tampering with it.

2. Some well-connected people run the companies making plastic everything.

3. No one cares, they just want an easy life with no need to remember to bring a bag or a food container, and no need to wash up afterwards. Environmental awareness zero.

3 hours ago, 30la said:

Un'altro ministro che prende parte alla corsa della fama...
Sei ad ogni modo un sognatore se pensi ad zero waste!

Sorry, I forgot to translate it, here the translation:

Another minister who takes part in the fame race ... You're a dreamer anyway if you think about zero waste!

How about keeping your roadmap and start to educate the cashiers and managers at Big C, starting tomorrow. Then I might believe you.

We were doing the monthly shop yesterday, 5L bottles of floor cleaner, washing up liquid, toilet cleaner, etc .. I had to wrestle the bottles from the cashier who wanted to put every one in a different bag, then put the bag into the trolley before putting it in the motor.

”It might spill in your car” the cashier said .. really, and a plastic bag is going to stop 5L of floor cleaner? 

2 minutes ago, recom273 said:

How about keeping your roadmap and start to educate the cashiers and managers at Big C, starting tomorrow. Then I might believe you.

We were doing the monthly shop yesterday, 5L bottles of floor cleaner, washing up liquid, toilet cleaner, etc .. I had to wrestle the bottles from the cashier who wanted to put every one in a different bag, then put the bag into the trolley before putting it in the motor.

”It might spill in your car” the cashier said .. really, and a plastic bag is going to stop 5L of floor cleaner? 

Is not only at Big C...

23 hours ago, Chazar said:

got them in the Uk at Mcdonalds,  if you dont get that drink down in less than 2  minutes they disintegrate......................useless

I have to take the paper straw outta the drink and put it in side plate or won’t last if submerged the whole time

7/11 is atrocious regarding plastic wastes , on their ice cream and sandwiches I plastic bag , one plastic piece to hold ur cheese burger , one to hold the burger, eliminate the inner plastic container and sell the burger in plastic bag

By 2022, long lead time.

It astounds me that Thailand has not begun using bamboo as an alternative to plastic, especially for food containers from markets, and straws.

Bamboo can be used for clothing, building products, containers, cutlery, bags. oh and of course food.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

My DIL often brings home food in plastic bags and in foam boxes (because she belives food should be prepared outside and because she's too lazy to cook).

But my son will not allow, ever, for food to be eaten out of pastic bags or foam boxes, he insists that his wife put the food onto proper plates / bowls and insists that the family eat with steel curtlery, not throw away plastic spoons etc.  Son also strongly insists that the whole family sit at the dining table at the same time to eat togther and talk together and he asks his 3 kids about school etc.

First few times his in-laws visited they tried to insist on sitting on the floor and everybody eating out of the plastic bags with plastic spoons etc., MIL even bought a box of 500 plastic spoon and fork sets from Makro, son refused to allow it and put the box in her car when she went home, much to her annoyance), 

Son politely but strongly demands everybody (incl. vistors) sit at the table and eat from plates / bowls with real cutlery. 

Son now demands that his wife use cloth bags for all shopping and had told his in-laws to not bring anything to the house in plastic bags.

Biggest 2 blow ups was when his full on loud mid aged overweight lady boy BIL came to the house (he knew the house ules from previous visits) and :

- Insisted that son's 3 kids eat before their father and mother came home on the living room floor with cartoons blaring, and then tried to inists that because he is older (a bit older) than my son he doeen't have to follow son's rules*.  (Son has very advanced education and this intimidates the lady boy re status stuff and he withdraws quickly.)

Son countered by taking lady boy (and son's wife and 3 daughters) to the bedroom the lady boy was using and demanded that lady boy clean up the disgusting mess in the room including many dirty now empty plastic food bags he had pushed under the bed. Lady boy indictated he would do it later. Son countered by telling his wife and 3 kids to sit on the bedroom floor, along with my son, and telling lady boy 'we don't move until you have cleaned up the room and mopped the floor'. Son won the battle. Lady boy didn't return for about 8 months.

- MIL arrived at the house 5 minutes after my son, his wife and 3 kids and me had all started our dinner. MIL instantly opens a very large box of Kit Kat bars, quickly unwraps about a dozen Kit Kat bars and puts several opened bars in front of each kid and oushes them to eat the chocolate bars first. Son quickly picked them all up, put them into a paper bag and back into the bigger cardboard box, put tape around the box and took the box to MIL's bedroom and told her 'don't open the box again and take it home with you'.

Son is winning. 

Your son is clearly exceptional in Thailand - more power to him! ????:wai:

On 11/1/2019 at 2:20 PM, scorecard said:

Godd now (maybe) my students can't walk out of the classrom and leave empty plastic bags and a few with rubbish on the floor. Or perhaps there will just be more varied rubbish on the floor. 

With new biodegradable replacements you'll be able to grow mushrooms on the classroom floor!

1. Hong Kong.....50c (THB2) if you want a plastic bag in any shop.

2. Home Pro nearby have zero plastic bag policy.

3. Local Tesco...no straws at checkouts.

4. Local (small. Weekend only) night market....most food vendors using cardboard containers for takeaway...not polystyrene.

5. Checkout staff find it hard to pack goods into my cloth bag as opposed to fitted plastic bag holder at their side which they pop everything into. Causes delay in the waiting queue and grim faces from the Thais waiting behind me

No problem with having ambitions, but come on, 2030/2022? Why not something a bit more realistic? Unless there are cost effective solutions ready now how on earth is corporate Thailand going to just magically adapt within that time frame? Not going to happen.

On the other hand, the solution to the plastic straws is no straws at all. It's not like the humankind suddenly can't sip from a damn cup. Its suddenly all imaginary laws of physics when entering McDonald's? Just nonsense. Adapt and get over with it.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

An honorable and visionary plan, for an administration totally lacking in vision and leading one of the least progressive nations on earth. 

Will they be able to put this into practice, in one of the most plastic hungry, and least environmentally conscious nations? 

Perhaps they could show us some good faith, by beginning with bins on every corner in the capital? Then the establishment of trash collection in all the smaller rural towns? Start somewhere. Show is something. Jabbering only gets you so far in this world.

Agreed, but in my neck of the woods the rubbish bins that used to be frequent have all but disappeared. The reason apparently is that people were not paying their 50 baht or so a month for their rubbish to be collected so the pro active Council took away the bins! 

On the estate where we used to live we bought our own bins, but the lids quickly disappeared (?) closely followed by the bins themselves.

One solution already suggested on here would be to have a "garbage collection tax" included on every electricity bill, and that money could be (!) redirected to the Council to pay for garbage collection and disposal. In that way, virtually everybody who lives here would be paying for their waste to be collected. Short stay tourists could have a garbage collection levy on their room/hotel prices, and landlord/landladies could do the same with their rental costs for long stay visitors/retirees/ex pats. I am sure that every visitor to these shores would not mind paying a few baht extra for their accommodation, and the residents would be forced to pay or have no electricity!

4 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Why use straws at all , straws are for suckers . Nobody can tell me there is one drink that people cannot drink without a straw . 

I did read that in the case of acidic drinks such as fruit juice and sodas, using a straw is better for your teeth, as less acidic liquid washes over them.

How about money spent on waste management facilities in all major towns, that way at least the general populas has somewhere to take their rubbish instead of throwing out bags of waste on the side of the road or into the jungle, not to mention building waste dumped on the side of the road.

Sorry, what was I thinking, a high speed rail link is far more important than being labelled the 6th worst polluters in the world.

Almost forgot, China isn't backing the "clean up Thailand" campaign, so nothing will change. 

26 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

I did read that in the case of acidic drinks such as fruit juice and sodas, using a straw is better for your teeth, as less acidic liquid washes over them.

sucking out of a can which may have had all manner of rodents and insects crawl over it and <deleted> over it, doesn't

appeal

33 minutes ago, Bantex said:

I bought stainless steel straws for my kids to use, they love using them and their friends have asked where they got them from.

I agree they're a lot better than the plastic ones, at least on a low scale but lets say they somehow became next to as cheap and accessible as the common plastic ones, wouldn't you say they potentially made a much larger threat to the environment as they degrade far slower than plastic, unless there's a sustainable recycling program in place? Just a hypothetical question, as Thailand, as well as most of Asia, South America, Africa and even parts of Europe clearly don't have the ability nor the will to have such a sustainable proactive program in place any time soon.

Archived