Quick paint job advice

madmen

Im putting a condo on the market for sale or rent and have a few walls needs painting the same color off white. What prep do I need to do if any or is just slapping on a new coat good enough ?

Also what is used here as a drop cloth? It would have to be from home pro. Thanks in advance

If your walls and paint are still in a reasonable condition (and you are just sprucing up) then no preparation is needed.....just a new tub of emulsion and your rollers.

If you are selling then no need to go to town on it, new property buyers make it a pre requisite that repainting walls puts their stamp on it.

Drop sheets here are hit and miss, they stock up once in 5 yrs it seems. You can be lucky and get the very fine guage polythene which will literally cover a sofa, but otherwise just get some clear polythene 3mx2m or 4mx3m polythene sheet,home pro do sell these.

I prefer the blue and white tarpaulin style as an all purpose dust sheet as i can use it multiple times as it doesnt tear.

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

If your walls and paint are still in a reasonable condition (and you are just sprucing up) then no preparation is needed.....just a new tub of emulsion and your rollers.

If you are selling then no need to go to town on it, new property buyers make it a pre requisite that repainting walls puts their stamp on it.

Drop sheets here are hit and miss, they stock up once in 5 yrs it seems. You can be lucky and get the very fine guage polythene which will literally cover a sofa, but otherwise just get some clear polythene 3mx2m or 4mx3m polythene sheet,home pro do sell these.

I prefer the blue and white tarpaulin style as an all purpose dust sheet as i can use it multiple times as it doesnt tear.

great Thanks. What is emulsion?

It depends on how contaminated the walls are with stuff like nicotine and oils, e.g close to a kitchen. You would need sugar soap to clean the walls first if that is the case.

Assuming you are using an acrylic, wet part of the wall with water first. If the water forms beads, it is dirty and won't key with the paint properly. If it stays in one piece, you're good to go.

Bear in mind you can paint an alkyd ( i.e. solvent-based ) paint over an acrylic ( water-based ) Painting an acrylic over an alkyd is guaranteed to end in tears.

Archived