Trump rule on health insurance leaves immigrants, companies scrambling for answers

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The Stephen Miller / 45 agenda on immigration is rather obvious. They want to limit immigration in general. They want zero refugees. They are OK with a limited number of high skilled / wealthy mostly white people. No more bring me your tired and poor. It's an extremist far right wing white nationalist immigration agenda.

Wanting immigrants to not be a burden on the taxpayer and society is not an "extremist far right wing white nationalist immigration agenda" in the slightest. 

Its common sense that just about every other developed country deploys. Its a simple needs based immigration policy. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, atyclb said:

usa medical care is a huge problem, extremely expensive to boot. though not perfect, canada seems to have a decent nationalized healthcare but canada does not maintain military bases/presence around the world, a huge expense.

dentists in usa have a great racket as they get paid largely in cash. they have little worries about fighting with insurance companies to get reasonably reimbursed. a root canal in usa about 1000usd, in vietnam 50-100 and in my experience equally as competent and professional.

I've never had a root canal surgery but from what I hear its about 2500 AUD in Oz with a private dentist. Could be wrong. 40 years ago I had a tooth pulled 40 bucks compared to 400 for root canal. About 10 years ago I had a tooth pulled. 250 bucks so 2500 is probably somewhere near the right number I guess.

Australia has a public health system, but also optional (sort of) private insurance. The private system is a set figure that you can get anytime before you turn 30. If you choose not to do so it goes up by, I think 2% a year if you should choose to insure later. My wife was 48 when she came to Oz so in theory she could have been paying an extra 36% for her insurance but they fortunately amended the law so she could join at the same rate as me. We pay about $250 for both of us a month.

What Trump has done is probably the right thing to do but needs to be applied with some compassion.

6 hours ago, howbri said:
10 hours ago, atyclb said:

usa medical care is a huge problem, extremely expensive to boot. though not perfect, canada seems to have a decent nationalized healthcare but canada does not maintain military bases/presence around the world, a huge expense.

dentists in usa have a great racket as they get paid largely in cash. they have little worries about fighting with insurance companies to get reasonably reimbursed. a root canal in usa about 1000usd, in vietnam 50-100 and in my experience equally as competent and professional.

If Canada health care is so great, why do a high percentage of Canadians come to the States for medical care?

my post said "decent" not "great" you would need to elaborate on why high % canadians go to the usa for medical care.  emergency services or surgery? life threatening care?

please link to stats

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The Stephen Miller / 45 agenda on immigration is rather obvious. They want to limit immigration in general. They want zero refugees. They are OK with a limited number of high skilled / wealthy mostly white people. No more bring me your tired and poor. It's an extremist far right wing white nationalist immigration agenda.

i would say if they have the needed skillset they could be green, brown, black or purple and immigrate. i think black registered nurses have no problem just as one example

This is just another step in a cruel agenda of the 45 administration against both illegal and LEGAL immigration. The idea is to push immigrants out and persuade them to not even bother to try to get in. If you talk to people that USED to see the USA as a "city on the hill" dream these days, they see 45 and they see a radically changed country dominated by a white nationalist. This new health insurance requirement is almost impossible to implement, and that's really the point. 

Trump's new crackdown on legal immigration: His base loves the cruelty

Stephen Miller keeps tightening the screws on legal immigration. It's inhumane and damaging — but that's the point

https://www.salon.com/2019/08/13/trumps-new-crackdown-on-legal-immigration-his-base-loves-the-cruelty/

12 hours ago, the guest said:

The United States is a backward country, why anyone would live there is a complete mystery. They can't even care for the basic stuff like healthcare for all. 

I find it ironic that the US claims to be the best country to live in the world, but the reality is far different. 

It is if you are rich. That's why people like John Lennon went to live there.

However, seems a lot of very poor people still want to go live there, so better than where they come from.

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is just another step in a cruel agenda of the 45 administration against both illegal and LEGAL immigration. The idea is to push immigrants out and persuade them to not even bother to try to get in. If you talk to people that USED to see the USA as a "city on the hill" dream these days, they see 45 and they see a radically changed country dominated by a white nationalist. This new health insurance requirement is almost impossible to implement, and that's really the point. 

https://www.salon.com/2019/08/13/trumps-new-crackdown-on-legal-immigration-his-base-loves-the-cruelty/

Doesn't seem to be working though. Those without a legal entry still keep trying to get in.

On 11/1/2019 at 6:48 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Erm.... Ivanka brought her parents in.

...but but but

because someone else has done it does not make it a good idea. 

That 60 year old economic or medical migrants are allowed in is foolish.

They can come in at 60 and get free medical and SSI after never paying a penny of payroll or income taxes. 

The left loves it. 

Well yes of course people coming here need to show they can provide for themselves. The only question is, why has it taken so long for this to be US policy? And while we're at it, why are all Democrat candidates for president wanting Americans to pay for free health care for illegal aliens?

15 hours ago, the guest said:

The United States is a backward country, why anyone would live there is a complete mystery. They can't even care for the basic stuff like healthcare for all. 

I find it ironic that the US claims to be the best country to live in the world, but the reality is far different. 

Far different for who?

On 11/1/2019 at 5:46 AM, Tug said:

What a nasty evil man you are Donald Trump just creating nasty ness bile and bad karma every we’re you go and everything you do

Imagine asking folks to take care of themselves, the nerve of Trump.

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Imagine asking folks to take care of themselves, the nerve of Trump.

Yrah the nerve. Saying they can come if they have insurance that insurance companies wont provide.

That does take some nerve.

4 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Bummer for the wannabe immigrants if they won't. Not our problem.

Welk as long as you are ok then its no problem.

I imagine you give as much to charity as trump does for those less fortunate.

21 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I've never had a root canal surgery but from what I hear its about 2500 AUD in Oz with a private dentist. Could be wrong. 40 years ago I had a tooth pulled 40 bucks compared to 400 for root canal. About 10 years ago I had a tooth pulled. 250 bucks so 2500 is probably somewhere near the right number I guess.

Australia has a public health system, but also optional (sort of) private insurance. The private system is a set figure that you can get anytime before you turn 30. If you choose not to do so it goes up by, I think 2% a year if you should choose to insure later. My wife was 48 when she came to Oz so in theory she could have been paying an extra 36% for her insurance but they fortunately amended the law so she could join at the same rate as me. We pay about $250 for both of us a month.

What Trump has done is probably the right thing to do but needs to be applied with some compassion.

I prefer compassion for Americans who pay the bills. This needs to be said, given all Democrat candidates for president want to provide health care (obviously free) for all illegal aliens. If one cannot provide for themselves in the US, we should not let them in.

On 11/1/2019 at 6:22 PM, erinsf said:

I do not like Donald Trump.  But, I understand why this law is being implemented.  Health care in the United States is a disaster. It is expensive.  And, many US citizens cannot afford to purchase it.  Until we can find a way to pay for our own citizens to receive affordable medical care and insurance, we can't be expected to pay for immigrants and non citizens health care.   When persons become citizens and turn 65, they can apply for medicare.   Legal residents can apply for lower cost subsidized health care when they live in the US.  It is expensive to use medical services in the US.  Even US citizens who are expats need to have some sort of health insurance when they visit the US in case they have an accident or emergency need.  The US is not alone.  Other countries including Thailand require health insurance for long term visa holders...ie: Thailand.  And, I have heard this program will expand to include shorter term visa holders and tourists.  Other countries require health insurance to visit.  I understand the burden placed on any government and community by high health care costs.  The US should have rules in place and guidelines before implementing this policy but, they of course did not. Thailand discussed it and postponed it until they had a plan. The only suggestion I have it to get short term travel insurance (180 days,) until they can qualify for some other insurance help.  Just my thoughts. 

TRUMP LIKES YOU ?

On 11/3/2019 at 1:06 AM, Sujo said:

Yrah the nerve. Saying they can come if they have insurance that insurance companies wont provide.

That does take some nerve.

It says right in the OP that the insurance companies WILL provide it, but its expensive, and they can't afford it. 

And with that its hard to find any sympathy because I think just about every American that has to buy their own insurance would feel the exact same way. Why should potential immigrants be given a free pass and drive up the cost of healthcare for citizens in the process? 

5 hours ago, Sujo said:

But he promised otherwise.

Reminder - The Democrats are the ones that implemented Obamacare that drove the cost of coverage sky high. 

23 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

I prefer compassion for Americans who pay the bills. This needs to be said, given all Democrat candidates for president want to provide health care (obviously free) for all illegal aliens. If one cannot provide for themselves in the US, we should not let them in.

Yep, they were all on stage saying they would provide it for illegal aliens. Healthcare. Abortions. Its absurd.

On 11/3/2019 at 1:54 AM, Sujo said:

At least the judge saw the stupidity. Only giving 2 days for insurance companies to respond and having nothing in place was just not reasonable.

So it is your problem.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/world/2019/11/03/judge-blocks-trump-rule-requiring-prospective-immigrants-have-health-insurance

Its funny because for something like 7 years it was mandated (By Democrats) that every American have health insurance or pay a federal tax penalty, yet a judge blocks the same requirement for potential immigrants. 

An absurd double standard. 

8 hours ago, Thainesss said:

It says right in the OP that the insurance companies WILL provide it, but its expensive, and they can't afford it. 

<snipped>

From the OP:

California’s health insurance marketplace, Covered California, said “consumers must be lawfully present in order to apply for coverage.”

25 minutes ago, Scott said:

From the OP:

California’s health insurance marketplace, Covered California, said “consumers must be lawfully present in order to apply for coverage.”

Also from the OP:

Tony Barrueta, a Senior Vice President at Kaiser Permanente, said in a statement that a social security number is not required to apply for Kaiser Permanente coverage...

So there are options, like I said previously, but they are expensive, like I said previously. 

Hard to find any sympathy when the same standard is applied to actual citizens. 

On 11/4/2019 at 1:40 PM, Thainesss said:

Also from the OP:

Tony Barrueta, a Senior Vice President at Kaiser Permanente, said in a statement that a social security number is not required to apply for Kaiser Permanente coverage...

So there are options, like I said previously, but they are expensive, like I said previously. 

Hard to find any sympathy when the same standard is applied to actual citizens. 

Having attempted to get insurance while living overseas, it made not one iota whether I had a social security number.   I had to physically be in the US to get it.   A social security number is not the determining factor on getting insurance. 

On 11/1/2019 at 6:39 PM, TooBigToFit said:

The US needs a better healthcare system that's for sure.

Yes; I like the system that was in effect before insurance companies took over. Back then, you would go to the doctor, or the hospital, and write a check after treatment. Sometimes, the doctor would even come to your house!

Archived