Trump rule on health insurance leaves immigrants, companies scrambling for answers

snoop1130

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Yes; I like the system that was in effect before insurance companies took over. Back then, you would go to the doctor, or the hospital, and write a check after treatment. Sometimes, the doctor would even come to your house!

yeah, I grew up in that era.  I was born in 57.  I remember the doctor coming to our house a few times.  Costs were not excessive.  I correct that.  The prices were not excessive.  Today, the prices are ridiculous, but the underlying costs are reasonable.  We just get billed in crazy fashions

https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-lobbying/top-spenders?cycle=a

Five of the top 10 lobbyists, over the last 20 years, are healthcare providers and medical insurance interests. Together, they have paid over 1.5 billion for the cause of better government. Helps put the high price of healthcare into perspective.

One other curious item in the list is the " National Assn of Broadcasters", coming in at #16. One has to wonder why an institution, supposedly dedicated to monitoring the government, is paying the politicians close to a quarter billion over the last 20 years ... 

On 11/1/2019 at 6:13 AM, TopDeadSenter said:

Very clever of Ivanka to do that! Unless she owns a time machine might I gently suggest you rethink that one.

I think he meant Melania.

Of this is all part of the hypocrisy that is Trump.

There is absolutely no way a used car salesman and a textile factory worker could have got a green card, unless Melania petitioned for them, exactly the 'chain migration' that Trump now trumpets as a 'very very bad bad thing' to quote his rally speeches.

But he has absolutely no self awareness of any of this, his lies, his untruths, or any this kind of total hypocrisy.

Remember, Barron was born before Melania was even a citizen...Ooooh anchor baby!

Send them Back, Send them Back!

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:13 AM, TopDeadSenter said:

Very clever of Ivanka to do that! Unless she owns a time machine might I gently suggest you rethink that one.

So many women! I have a hard time keeping the names straight too.

On 11/1/2019 at 7:46 PM, Tug said:

What a nasty evil man you are Donald Trump just creating nasty ness bile and bad karma every we’re you go and everything you do

Karma? Your post does nothing to advance intelligent discussion about the topic. It merely advertises your wordy dislike for the man and bypasses the issue of health insurance. Try again please.

I am from the USA.  Perhaps you don't know that it is "mandatory" for hospitals to provide medical care to anyone who requires it with or without insurance.  Along the border with Mexico hospitals are closing, going bankrupt providing care for illegals who know they will be treated and can not pay. So that leaves the locals without hospitals. Numerous countries have 'TOURS' to transport foreigners into the USA that have medical conditions or are pregnant. They either within their visa period or overstay their visa and show up to the hospital and receive medical care that their home country can not provide.  THE USA can not be the medical care provider to the entire world.  Unless you change the policy that without insurance no one gets care, it is reasonable to ask those who visit the USA to have health insurance.  

On 11/1/2019 at 6:22 PM, erinsf said:

I do not like Donald Trump.  But, I understand why this law is being implemented.  Health care in the United States is a disaster. It is expensive.  And, many US citizens cannot afford to purchase it.  Just my thoughts. 

I do like Donald Trump, and I understand why this law is being implemented.  Health care in the United States is a disaster. It is expensive.  And, many US citizens cannot afford to purchase it.  Currently, any illegal immigrant can just walk into any emergency room in the US and get free health care without questions asked. I, on-the-other hand, have to provide an insurance card or mortgage my future away. 

On 11/5/2019 at 8:02 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I think he meant Melania.

Of this is all part of the hypocrisy that is Trump.

There is absolutely no way a used car salesman and a textile factory worker could have got a green card, unless Melania petitioned for them, exactly the 'chain migration' that Trump now trumpets as a 'very very bad bad thing' to quote his rally speeches.

But he has absolutely no self awareness of any of this, his lies, his untruths, or any this kind of total hypocrisy.

Remember, Barron was born before Melania was even a citizen...Ooooh anchor baby!

Send them Back, Send them Back!

How does coming out against a benefit you’ve taking advantage of make you a hypocrite?

In any event, I doubt very much Trump’s in-laws will become wards of the state, except in a CNN wet dream...

On 11/2/2019 at 11:06 PM, Sujo said:

Yrah the nerve. Saying they can come if they have insurance that insurance companies wont provide.

That does take some nerve.

Telling me that my Kaiser health Plan (which covers me here in Thailand) is unacceptable and that I have to buy Thai insurance takes more nerve. 

9 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I am from the USA.  Perhaps you don't know that it is "mandatory" for hospitals to provide medical care to anyone who requires it with or without insurance.  Along the border with Mexico hospitals are closing, going bankrupt providing care for illegals who know they will be treated and can not pay. So that leaves the locals without hospitals. Numerous countries have 'TOURS' to transport foreigners into the USA that have medical conditions or are pregnant. They either within their visa period or overstay their visa and show up to the hospital and receive medical care that their home country can not provide.  THE USA can not be the medical care provider to the entire world.  Unless you change the policy that without insurance no one gets care, it is reasonable to ask those who visit the USA to have health insurance.  

It is mandatory only for hospitals that accept federal medicare/medicaid funds to provide necessary and urgent medical care to anyone.   Most hospitals accept federal funds, however, if they do not wish to treat everyone, then they can decline federal funds.   The law covering mandated health care is the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act.

I have a home and family members living in close proximity to the border.   A few work in health care.   I know of no hospital that has closed or gone bankrupt from serving illegals.   Whether that has happened or not, I don't know, but when you make such claims it is a good idea to link to a credible source.  

There is no doubt that many hospitals in rural and remote areas are struggling.  They do not have doctors or nurses to staff them and most of the major and well-equipped hospitals are in larger metropolitan areas.   The border is no exception.   I might add, I have family living in the rural areas along the Canadian border and hospitals in that area are also suffering and I doubt it has anything to do with treating illegal immigrants.

Hospitals are also provided with additional funds to treat the uninsured.  The Trump administration gave the states more say over their use of federal health care funds.    In giving greater flexibility to states in handling funding, both Texas and Florida have been able to increase funding from 50 to 70% for safety-net hospitals providing care for uninsured patients.  

There certainly are problems with the provision of health care to immigrants.   I don't have a strong position on mandating health insurance for new arrivals, but there is certainly a good case to made for it.   There needs to be a reasonably easy way to obtain that insurance, which doesn't seem to exist at this point in time.  

This is another of hundreds of his rules, that have left people scrambling for answers. When you create an entire administration from "bottom of the barrel talent" it leaves alot to be desired in the way of policy. Also, when you have no capability of SAYING NO to a lobbyist, it tends to skew the agenda a bit. 

On 11/7/2019 at 6:28 AM, Benmart said:

Karma? Your post does nothing to advance intelligent discussion about the topic. It merely advertises your wordy dislike for the man and bypasses the issue of health insurance. Try again please.

Yup you got it!!we need a real health care sys here I rember back in the 80s having a mc accident in los never realized how white my shin bone is lol cost me a whopping 90$ usd to get stitched up the drugs and the doctor visit and overnight stay here in the USA the same thing would have cost in the neighborhood of 20,000 usd go figure same practices same drugs ect ect 

6 hours ago, Tug said:

Yup you got it!!we need a real health care sys here I rember back in the 80s having a mc accident in los never realized how white my shin bone is lol cost me a whopping 90$ usd to get stitched up the drugs and the doctor visit and overnight stay here in the USA the same thing would have cost in the neighborhood of 20,000 usd go figure same practices same drugs ect ect 

I had a motorcycle accident back in ‘81, scull fractures, broken collar bone, broken ribs, broken nose and hundreds of stitches. This was at Howard University Hospital in DC.

I had another accident back in ‘88 and broke my left leg, and severed my right about six inches above the ankle. I was in the hospital for almost four months and was an outpatient for over three years. I had 8-10 surgeries including a Hoffman fixator, an Ilizarov fixator and several bone grafts  to reattach my foot and get my leg stretched back out the inch and a half I lost. I had no insurance and I paid nothing. This was at Anderson Memorial Hospital in Anderson SC, then at Rancho Los Amigos in Downey CA. 

In both cases I had no insurance and paid nothing. 

I get a little tired of people going on about how crappy our medical system  is and people are not able to get care.

There are a lot of things wrong with our system, but poor quality or and lack of services aren’t two of them.

One problem with providing free medical to illegal aliens is that we would attract even medical migrants which have the potential exponentially worse than economic migrants. 

in my opinion, the biggest problem with our medical system is that the consumers are (for the most part) completely detached from the actual cost. People that have insurance are generally only concerned with what they actually pay, and people without insurance aren’t paying anything.

6 hours ago, RideJocky said:

In both cases I had no insurance and paid nothing. 

So this whole post has nothing to with HEALTH insurance and everything to do with accident insurance and liability.

Another driver was "at fault" in your vehicular accidents and their insurance covered your injuries...

3 hours ago, mikebike said:

So this whole post has nothing to with HEALTH insurance and everything to do with accident insurance and liability.

Another driver was "at fault" in your vehicular accidents and their insurance covered your injuries...

And after that i hope he bought a car.

On 11/10/2019 at 2:48 PM, mikebike said:

No.

In the first case I was on a motorcycle and was clotheslined, I was uninsured and no other driver was involved. 

in the second case, I was in the back seat of a crew-cab, we came around the corner and the driver lost control and hit a light pole. The driver was drunk, and uninsured. 

in both cases I had no insurance and paid nothing, no other insurance was involved, and no one else (except taxpayers) paid anything. 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:45 AM, Scott said:

It is mandatory only for hospitals that accept federal medicare/medicaid funds to provide necessary and urgent medical care to anyone.

Scott, you are incorrect.  PRIVATE hospitals may turn away people.  Any PUBLIC hospital must provide care.  And ALL hospitals must provide EMERGENCY care irrespective of insurance.  

*Edited out for Fair Use*

Patient care.JPG

On 11/2/2019 at 5:49 AM, saengd said:

It was well publicised earlier that Thailand was going to require all visitors to Thailand to have health insurance. The plan was put on hold this year because of a drop in tourist numbers and they said they didn't want to scare people away. Exactly how they intend to implement that remains unclear, perhaps a tourist levy at the point of entry, dunno.

I remember the implementation of that levy for tourists and visitors being discussed years ago.

Everyone including us falangs thought it was a good idea yet it has never been introduced.

On 11/2/2019 at 4:27 PM, atyclb said:

usa medical care is a huge problem, extremely expensive to boot. though not perfect, canada seems to have a decent nationalized healthcare but canada does not maintain military bases/presence around the world, a huge expense.

dentists in usa have a great racket as they get paid largely in cash. they have little worries about fighting with insurance companies to get reasonably reimbursed. a root canal in usa about 1000usd, in vietnam 50-100 and in my experience equally as competent and professional.

Years ago there was a program called Whicker's World on British TV about how wealthy the dentists of Dallas were. They were all millionaires back when being a millionaire meant you were seriously rich.

We were amazed and horrified at how exorbitant their prices were and we thanked our lucky stars for our National Health Service funded by the National Insurance Scheme. Our premiums were taken out of our wage packets as soon as we were old enough to start work.

When you get older you realise what a wonderful organisation it actually is in spite of the negative reports we sometimes become aware of. But this is often because freeloaders who have never paid a bean are allowed to abuse the system.

On 11/2/2019 at 8:04 PM, howbri said:

If Canada health care is so great, why do a high percentage of Canadians come to the States for medical care?

My friend lives in Toronto. He moved there from the UK about 40 years ago. He's had treatment for heart problems and cancer right there in Toronto. Many of their health workers are British and qualified in Britain.

There was never any question of his being treated in the US. Nor any need for it.

On 11/2/2019 at 8:44 PM, tlandtday said:

That is simply untrue.  In fact Trump has lobbied for increased numbers of immigrants from what have become under repesented countries such as those in eastern Europe.  Why not take in some of the suffering Ukranians and such.  Canada has had good success with this.

"Canada has had good success with this."

So has Britain. Heroin is now easily obtainable throughout the UK thanks to Albanian involvement in the  pharmaceutical industry.

10 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Scott, you are incorrect.  PRIVATE hospitals may turn away people.  Any PUBLIC hospital must provide care.  And ALL hospitals must provide EMERGENCY care irrespective of insurance.  

*Edited out for Fair Use*

Patient care.JPG

Part of your post was removed.   You cannot place a quote on the site and not provide a link.   It is a violation of Fair Use Policy.  

As for the remainder, of course an emergency negates a number of rules and regulations.   Medical personnel take an oath to give care, however, you are referring to private hospitals that take public funds.   I am referring to private hospitals that do not.  

I do not know of any hospital that asks about immigration status.   They do ask for insurance and emergency contact info, but I have never heard of any asking if you are legal, illegal, a citizen or a permanent resident.  

On 11/12/2019 at 1:13 PM, yogi100 said:

I remember the implementation of that levy for tourists and visitors being discussed years ago.

Everyone including us falangs thought it was a good idea yet it has never been introduced.

I don’t think it’s a good idea for people that have insurance (that they pay for) to be forced to pay to insure people that choose not to be insured. 

So clearly everyone didn’t think it was a good idea.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:32 PM, yogi100 said:

Years ago there was a program called Whicker's World on British TV about how wealthy the dentists of Dallas were. They were all millionaires back when being a millionaire meant you were seriously rich.

We were amazed and horrified at how exorbitant their prices were and we thanked our lucky stars for our National Health Service funded by the National Insurance Scheme. Our premiums were taken out of our wage packets as soon as we were old enough to start work.

When you get older you realise what a wonderful organisation it actually is in spite of the negative reports we sometimes become aware of. But this is often because freeloaders who have never paid a bean are allowed to abuse the system.

If you’re poor in the US (at least in California) dental care is free. 

So what about all the jokes about people’s teeth in the UK?

3 hours ago, RideJocky said:

I don’t think it’s a good idea for people that have insurance (that they pay for) to be forced to pay to insure people that choose not to be insured. 

So clearly everyone didn’t think it was a good idea.

What was wrong with it?

My friend broke a thigh and had to pay 6,000 quid for treatment in a Pattaya hospital. You can bet he thought it would have been a good idea! So would you and I have done.

4 hours ago, RideJocky said:

If you’re poor in the US (at least in California) dental care is free. 

So what about all the jokes about people’s teeth in the UK?

What jokes about people’s teeth in the UK?

We've got good natural teeth not ridiculous looking white false teeth that Americans think make them look like Hollywood film stars. You need a pair of sun glasses to protect your eyes every time they flash their smiles. Some of your rap people have even got diamonds embedded in their teeth!

And Dallas is not in California.

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

What jokes about people’s teeth in the UK?

We've got good natural teeth not ridiculous looking white false teeth that Americans think make them look like Hollywood film stars. You need a pair of sun glasses to protect your eyes every time they flash their smiles. Some of your rap people have even got diamonds embedded in their teeth!

And Dallas is not in California.

Some of your rap people have even got diamonds embedded in their teeth! ???? ???????? priceless......

Archived