Doi Inthanon National Park: no Thai price with pink ID card anymore

CNXexpat

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

you are really hung up on this % thing - - i assume because you have nothing else to hang your hat on...

sorry, I don't get menus w/200% higher prices than my wife... so, I think you are really starting to grasp at straws here... 

much to do over nothing... again and again... = cheap charlie. 

No idea where and when you went to school, but in most countries increases and decreases are counted in % - shops (20% off on all items), jobs (pay rise 5%) and so on. But perhaps it´s too long ago that you visited a school and never learned later.

Thais love people like you, they are telling everybody, that they love to spend much more than a Thai. If there are more people like you, it´s a question of time if the public water and the electricity companies, shops market stalls, taxis, Uber, shops, etc. say: "Farangs like to pay more than Thais, they are so rich and don´t care about money - let´s increase the prices for them. Exactly this happened on a market, visited by many tourists in Chiang Mai. They went around and shouted "Oh, everything soooo cheap here", the market sellers listened over weeks - and increased the prices. 

I spend in average 100.000 Baht per month. With calling me a cheap charlie you can´t hurt me. It only shows that you like to insult people you don´t know. Annoying and boring at the end.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Genericnic said:

No reason to stay home. Some of the most beautiful and interesting things in Thailand are free. All I have to do is get on my motorcycle and ride. 

Absolutely right. After I didn´t enter the park, my wife checked out what´s interesting nearby. And we found these 2 beautiful places - for free

18 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

No idea where and when you went to school, but in most countries increases and decreases are counted in % - shops (20% off on all items), jobs (pay rise 5%) and so on. But perhaps it´s too long ago that you visited a school and never learned later.

Thais love people like you, they are telling everybody, that they love to spend much more than a Thai. If there are more people like you, it´s a question of time if the public water and the electricity companies, shops market stalls, taxis, Uber, shops, etc. say: "Farangs like to pay more than Thais, they are so rich and don´t care about money - let´s increase the prices for them. Exactly this happened on a market, visited by many tourists in Chiang Mai. They went around and shouted "Oh, everything soooo cheap here", the market sellers listened over weeks - and increased the prices. 

I spend in average 100.000 Baht per month. With calling me a cheap charlie you can´t hurt me. It only shows that you like to insult people you don´t know. Annoying and boring at the end.

you use the 600% for dramatic effect... sounds like soooooo much more than 200 baht... what drama in your post... but I would expect nothing less from a weak argument and someone making a big deal out of 200 baht... best of luck to you,... and after all this is a lot of drama... you spend 100,000 a month and do you cry over each 200 baht... ? 

I arrived in Thailand in 2011, first few years you could smile and talk the staff into giving you the Thai price. Once I was able to just show a Thai credit card as 'proof' I was a resident. From 2014ish though they seemed to have got a directive and instead of the discussion you started to get an immediate 'no, you must pay the foreigner price'. Fair enough, it is their country and they can make the rules but as someone who works and pays taxes it would be nice to have some recognition that I am also contributing to these parks. Keeping parks cheap for locals is important but when I see all the Thais with really nice cars in Khao Yai, I wonder if this is really a place where all do go. The initial post suggests that up until quite recently you could get the cheaper price but my experience in the last 5 years in other parks has been that you must pay the 'foreigner price'

Recently, I have been going to Sam Roi Yot national park in Pranburi quite often. It's a really beautiful place and has numerous caves, mountain areas and beaches you can explore - foreigner price is 200 baht here - worth it for me. Last time I visited I went to the national park office for the first time... behind it they have some course through wetlands on an elevated wooden boardwalk. Except that this boardwalk is in a terrible state of repair with numerous holes... Got speaking to a park ranger and he said that the government had promised to send money to repair it and replace parts of it but they had been waiting years. So would be nice if they are collecting these fees from people that they also spent the money to maintain the facilities. I got the impression that the parks were being financially squeezed.

8 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

you use the 600% for dramatic effect... sounds like soooooo much more than 200 baht... what drama in your post... but I would expect nothing less from a weak argument and someone making a big deal out of 200 baht... best of luck to you,... and after all this is a lot of drama... you spend 100,000 a month and do you cry over each 200 baht... ? 

I don´t know if you have Alzheimer and forgot everything from school or never listened at school. Percent has nothing to do with a dramatic effect. If the electricity company says, we increase the price for a kw 4,5 Baht, you say "who cares about 4,5 Baht". I say "wow, 4,5 Baht, they increase the prices 100%". If Toyata gives a discount of 10,000 Baht for the Fortuner, you get an orgasm and run to the next Toyota dealer to order one, because the offer is soooo amazing. 10,000 Baht!!! I say "for a discount of less than 1% I don´t move from my sofa". 
As I wrote before, you really have a problem with reading comprehension. I never cried. I only wrote that it´s not possible anymore to get the Thai price with the pink ID card and I am not willing to pay that. That´s it. 

End of discussion with you. I give up.

3 minutes ago, chessman said:

The initial post suggests that up until quite recently you could get the cheaper price but my experience in the last 5 years in other parks has been that you must pay the 'foreigner price'

During the last years I have been in the Doi Inthanon National Park many times, always when friends came to Chiang Mai. With my pink ID I always got the Thai price and I know other foreigners made the same experience. I also paid the Thai price at other parks. I am sorry to hear that you had only other experiences.

Stay at home and Google the places you like to visit, everything is there and it's free..of course you need to have a smartphone/computer also pay peanuts for your power....solve all your problems.

I think moderators should close such topic it's one too many...

8 hours ago, chuang said:

Stay at home and Google the places you like to visit, everything is there and it's free..of course you need to have a smartphone/computer also pay peanuts for your power....solve all your problems.

I think moderators should close such topic it's one too many...

Sure that you can? I am not so sure after I read your text before.

It's actually pretty easy to get in for free, as they have placed the booth where you pay just before a left turn. All you need to do is say you're going to mae hong son or khun yuam or wherever. Then they let you through, now drive around the corner and wait for 5 minutes, turn around again and Merry Christmas, you're in for free. Done it 100's of times. Who's double pricing now baby? Come on boys use your heads.

On 11/4/2019 at 8:06 PM, kenk24 said:

No, I wouldn't... but you stated it like a fact that they do... when they don't. I am saying if the extra 200 baht is such a worry, think how much you save in other things here... why do the complainers here never seem to see another side? And nobody is breaking your arm to go to the park,.. 

I am just trying to make the point that people here get all worked up over very small cultural difference - -  In USA out of state residents pay more for State Schools - out of county residents pay more county golf courses... Srs pay less for busses and movies... there is so much dual pricing everywhere - - I have known famous people who don't carry any money because they get in everywhere for free... why can't you just accept that you are not in Kansas anymore? 

A Thai person can move to Kansas, get a Kansas drivers license or ID card with as little as a student visa and enjoy local discounts. People get worked up about it because most Thai dual pricing is based on the racist concept that foreigners should pay more. Racial discrimination is not officially tolerated under US law.

Thai citizenship is the option for farangs who wish to enter National parks at Thai price.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:17 AM, Lacessit said:

I am wondering what the Chinese pay, because I can't see them standing still for that kind of price gouging.

I was talking to a Thai tour operator and was telling me the busloads of Chinese tourists get into places way below list price (pattaya area).....race to the bottom ????

Archived