Doi Inthanon National Park: no Thai price with pink ID card anymore

CNXexpat

1 minute ago, Fex Bluse said:

Agree. The "tax-funded local discount" argument is ever more dubious because we all know that other Asians who look Thai (like regional people's) also get in cheaper. 

It's not even a nationality charge as such. 

It is primarily a White tax.

Yup.

In my 10 years in Thailand (complete with Thai driver's licence and Pink ID card) I was never once offered a "discount" and neither was any one of my friends and acquaintences who ALL commented on the dual pricing.

Yet,curiously enough,many others post here claiming that they have acheived the Thai discounted Nirvana..and who am I to gainsay them?

It is a white-and a black-tax.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Thian said:

Thanks for telling us, i won't go there for sure. in my country everybody pays the same.

Everybody does pay the same .

its $59 each for adults .

my wife and I both payed the same when we went.

check out the website yourself 

52 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am selfish because I choose how I spend my money? Who died and gifted you the ability to pass judgement on everyone?

Not the action but your stated motivations.

I'm not judging you perse. I too am selfish - especially against the tens of millions who would reflexively take advantage of me simply because of my skin color. 

I can admit it. 

44 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Not the action but your stated motivations.

I'm not judging you perse. I too am selfish - especially against the tens of millions who would reflexively take advantage of me simply because of my skin color. 

I can admit it. 

You know "Fex" it was not the attitudes of the Thai that alarmed me as much as the Caucasian Quislings that I came across from time to time.

The Thai can do pretty much whatever they like as it is their country after all.

On the other hand the Caucasian Quislings with their distortions of the truth and fake equivalences (witness their distortions on this thread and many others)who absolutely fascinated me..so much so that I chose to study them from afar.

I was especially fascinated by those Caucasians who declare that Thailand is 'cheap' usually because it is built on the backs of the poor,the women,and the indentured slaves..if I met them in real life I would simply kick them to the ground where they belong and abjure them to stop telling "porky pies"

9 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

So as I work and pay tax in Thailand and the amount of tax I pay is more than the average Thai, I must be a bigger shareholder and should therefore be afforded a bigger discount.

and as Thailand has extremely weak income tax collection and relies primarily on consumption taxes (excise tax, import duties, etc) then those of us who outspend Thais 5 and 10 to 1, often more biased on imported items, are again paying more in tax than an average Thai. 

16 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Right, I also can afford it. But I am not a fan of paying 600% more than a Thai. If a noodle soup stall would ask for 300 Baht foreigner price instead of 50 Baht for a Thai, I also wouldn´t pay these 250 Baht more. I also refuse the 400 Baht entrance fee for foreigners at the San Khampaeng hot spring instead of the 50 Baht for Thais. That´s 8 times more. 

You have to be joking. I've been there 4 times in the last 6 weeks and paid 50 Baht each time, compared to 20 Baht that my wife is charged. Something doesn't sound right.

Edit: I just checked with the wife as she remembers every Satang she's ever spent. On the days that we parked in the outer parking lot, it was 100 THB for the two of us. On the days we parked inside it was 140 Baht. She said she showed my driver's license each time. We were last there only about a week ago.

11 minutes ago, elektrified said:

You have to be joking. I've been there 4 times in the last 6 weeks and paid 50 Baht each time, compared to 20 Baht that my wife is charged. Something doesn't sound right.

Well....you wouldn't say that they are a pack of thieves would you?

..and you wouldn't gainsay any sleazy expat who agrees with this policy,would you?

My Thai wife is perfectly happy to pay exactly the same anount of money in my country to enter a beaurifully maintained park as I do.. for FREE.

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well....you wouldn't say that they are a pack of thieves would you?

..and you wouldn't gainsay any sleazy expat who agrees with this policy,would you?

My Thai wife is perfectly happy to pay exactly the same anount of money in my country to enter a beaurifully maintained park as I do.. for FREE.

You responded before I made an edit/correction. If you show your drivers license, you pay the same as Thai people - 50 THB.

20 minutes ago, elektrified said:

You responded before I made an edit/correction. If you show your drivers license, you pay the same as Thai people - 50 THB.

Nonsense.

As I posted before I had both a Thai Driver's license and a pink ID card for 10 years at NO STAGE did I or any of my Caucasian friends/aquaintances/contacts get in for the Thai price (possibly somewhat more flexible under the Shinawatra's).

As I responded before I am not particularly perturbed by the Thai's unending capacicity to tell utter Furphies but I am over (and most countries are) the fact that Caucasian expats continue to tell such utter misstruths on a daily basis,

Anyone with half a brain would never buy a condo,stock or share from 99.999% of them.

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

Instead of looking at it that you pay more, why don't you look at it that shareholders get a discount?

People with a work permit are also share holders then, in fact they probably pay more tax than the majority of rural Thais..does it still make sense?

3 minutes ago, casualbiker said:

People with a work permit are also share holders then, in fact they probably pay more tax than the majority of rural Thais..does it still make sense?

Eh?

This is about over charging "farangs" on a massive scale-it makes a great deal of sense to the Thai and (possibly) the miserable pussy chasers who have fled to the cracks and seams of the planet.

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Nonsense.

As I posted before I had both a Thai Driver's license and a pink ID card for 10 years at NO STAGE did I or any of my Caucasian friends/aquaintances/contacts get in for the Thai price (possibly somewhat more flexible under the Shinawatra's).

As I responded before I am not particularly perturbed by the Thai's unending capacicity to tell utter Furphies but I am over (and most countries are) the fact that Caucasian expats continue to tell such utter misstruths on a daily basis,

Anyone with half a brain would never buy a condo,stock or share from 99.999% of them.

Are you are suggesting my wife and I are lying? And when you say that you or your Caucasian friends didn't get in "for the Thai price" are you referring to San Khampaeng Hot Springs or Doi Inthanon? I too, have never gotten in to Doi Inthanon at a discounted price but I ALWAYS get in to San Kamphaeng Hot Springs, the waterfalls, the zoo, and other places I often hear foreigners complaining about the dual pricing - at the discounted price.

11 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Are you are suggesting my wife and I are lying? And when you say that you or your Caucasian friends didn't get in "for the Thai price" are you referring to San Khampaeng Hot Springs or Doi Inthanon? I too, have never gotten in to Doi Inthanon at a discounted price but I ALWAYS get in to San Kamphaeng Hot Springs, the waterfalls, the zoo, and other places I often hear foreigners complaining about the dual pricing - at the discounted price.

"I too have never gotten into Doi Inthanon"

No-i don't have to be location specific-but-in my experience- no "farang" in waving his license /pink card about has ever gotten into a Thai national patk at the Thai price...altho' others on Thai Visa claim they do so.

There is no "discounted" price.There is one  basic fee for Thai citizens and a surcharge for aliens-"farangs-if tou choose.

Anyone disputing this is a fantasist-quickly unmasked by anyone who comes to Thailand from the real world.

Wht should I call your wife a liar as I haven't met her?

On the other hand..Why should i call my own wife a liar as she informs everyone in Thailand-that she get's into our national parks for FREE.

"Pink card" absolute waste of time. Decades of living in Thailand without one. O visas, jobs, bank accounts, credit card, work permit s, driver's license. Even get discount at my favorite national park in the south.

Imagine if you got pulled over the cops would want your PPT just the same. Wou9e even know what a stupid pink card is about.

I still don't know or care.

So far i've never paid anything when i visited Doi Inthanon, so unless they would start setting up check points on every small road this change is not really a problem for people who are flexible and don't need to enter at the front gate.

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

got the local discount , my Thai wife paid the full price.

After that episode, Thai wife no longer lets me complain about any dual pricing.

"Local" is the keyword and you can explain your wife what it means. In Australia it means "for people from the same city" in Thailand it means "for every Thai", so a Thai from Phuket gets the discount at the Doi Inthanon, what is 1,500 km away from Phuket. Not really "local"

I was lucky went to the hot springs when the thai driving license was ok hot springs u pay the thai price and the night safari too.now u can not.night safari was 50 baht farang 500.i would  not go now for that reason.tourist will pay but if they knew what went on with prices would they still

8 minutes ago, chuang said:

Sad to say, why come thousands of miles here just to whine about a few bahts....STOP coming to thailand if you feel you are being scammed....????

Actually it is extremely racist and the one's who have went to the point to be more than a tourist deserve a break. Makes you feel their love that you are just a 3-4th class person who they feel obliged to suck your money as they think they are superior. It bugs my Thai wife as well and is something that truly makes Thailand look bad. I took the time to learn how to speak their language, marry, have kids (as one is out of university, the 2nd in University, while the 3rd is less than a couple years to graduate from Mattayom), get a driver license and now the pink card and yellow book, bought cars motorcycles a house and support  the Thai economy in large ways I will not go into. 

So I will never happily accept the over charging as is just bad in principle. I would hope that a Thai would be charged 600% more in the USA or EU for the same things like this, but then you would hear them cry like nobody you ever heard complain. Western countries are far more humanbeing compatible than this Xenophobic government. And it is not just the current one but always the ongoing powers that be who you can guess is the real backbone of ruling.. I don't mind the tourists paying but come on, but we as long timers deserve respect. 

You always have the choice "take it or leave it" - up to you! 

I've given up long time ago to argue over why Thais are the self-declared super race and gods gift to the world. I just leave it and walk away; there are plenty of other places.

I remember vividly when visiting Khao Phra Viharn some ten years ago with my (Thai) wife. The Cambodians had introduced some "access fee" for foreigners, including Thais (which would make up 99% of the visitors numbers anyhow. We paid and got the ticketed receipt while next to us was a Thai family which went absolutely ballistic over the fact, that Thais and "Farang" would be treated the same, as far as access fees were. 

It was then when I told these Thais that this was exactly the way millions of foreign visitors felt and one day they would not come anymore. Today, as we know, this is the case. 

Leave Doi Inthanon to Homo siamesens and get on - or pay up! 

37 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Actually it is extremely racist and the one's who have went to the point to be more than a tourist deserve a break. Makes you feel their love that you are just a 3-4th class person who they feel obliged to suck your money as they think they are superior. It bugs my Thai wife as well and is something that truly makes Thailand look bad. I took the time to learn how to speak their language, marry, have kids (as one is out of university, the 2nd in University, while the 3rd is less than a couple years to graduate from Mattayom), get a driver license and now the pink card and yellow book, bought cars motorcycles a house and support  the Thai economy in large ways I will not go into. 

So I will never happily accept the over charging as is just bad in principle. I would hope that a Thai would be charged 600% more in the USA or EU for the same things like this, but then you would hear them cry like nobody you ever heard complain. Western countries are far more humanbeing compatible than this Xenophobic government. And it is not just the current one but always the ongoing powers that be who you can guess is the real backbone of ruling.. I don't mind the tourists paying but come on, but we as long timers deserve respect. 

Right. I like the polls from time to time when they ask the expats, if they feel "like home" in Thailand. I always write "no, how can I feel like home in a country what demands much higher prices and 90 days reports from me. I am treated like an unwanted visitor, so I feel like a visitor".

On 11/2/2019 at 1:54 AM, DannyCarlton said:

250 baht isn't exactly going to break the bank. Wouldn't stop me going.

if and if one goes to a restaurant, hotel, grocery store, etc., and they apply dual pricing would you accept, I do think the problem has nothing to do with the price difference but mostly the principle (discrimination/bias/bigotry/intolerance/narrow mindedness/prejudice) all unjustified

On 11/2/2019 at 3:23 AM, Pravda said:

I have never been to a Thai national park that impressed me and I paid a "Thai price" for every single one I went to. 

and that makes 2 of us.... have been paying Thai price as well and unfortunately (South of Thailand) not 1 park has left a "will come back" feeling/wish

14 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

o-i don't have to be location specific-but-in my experience- no "farang" in waving his license /pink card about has ever gotten into a Thai national patk at the Thai price...altho' others on Thai Visa claim they do so.

Always got in everywhere at Thai price by showing my Thai D/L .......... until the general took over.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Always got in everywhere at Thai price by showing my Thai D/L .......... until the general took over.

Also at the Ayutthaya Historical Park? I always have to pay the foreigner price there. At Doi Inthanon I paid the Thai price during the last years - till yesterday. 

Archived