Doi Inthanon National Park: no Thai price with pink ID card anymore

CNXexpat

16 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Still the same Ripp off!! One more reason, Tourists stay away. Why Thai Nationals dont be charged abroad the same way?

My wife speaks Thai asked that question at the park entry/gate and was told foreigners have to pay more because they need to clean the mess they make (10 Thai x 50 baht = 500 bath or 5 foreigners x 400 baht = 2,000 bath and they said the 5 foreigners damage the park more than the 10 Thais, I know it's funny and I did laugh when they said that, it shows their short mind/lack of any logic but as they claim, it's their country can do what they want, if not happy go back to our countries)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I pay more than a Singaporean to go to Singapore government places like gardens and zoos.

I pay less than a foreigner to go to US National Parks.

70% of the French citizens pay less to go into The Louve than foreigners do.

My Swiss bank account fees are higher than they would be for a Swiss citizen.

Veterans get into museums cheaper than I do in the US.

Four people in a vehicle get into Big Bend National Park for half the price of four walk-ins.

I do not feel forkked.

2 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

I pay more than a Singaporean to go to Singapore government places like gardens and zoos.

I pay less than a foreinger to go to US National Parks.

70% of the French citizens pay less to go into The Louve than foreigners do.

My Swiss bank account fees are higher than they would be for a Swiss citizen.

Veterans get into museums cheaper than I do in the US.

So sure, gotta complain about Thailand.

Four people in a vehicle get into Big Bend National Park for half the price of four walk-ins.

as a foreigner leaving in the US I always paid the same as a US citizen and as a foreigner having a Swiss bank account paying the same fees as my Swiss friends, as for the Louvre entry fee being 70% higher for foreigners can you , PLEASE, provide supporting data.....quite confused with your comments

4 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

I pay less than a foreinger to go to US National Parks.

Wow, and you pay less for a noodle soup in Thailand than in the US. And a Thai earns less and pay less for electricity than citizens of other countries. So what do you want to say? To compare prices in different countries is nonsense. What do you think what a Cambodian tourist or worker says about a 300 Baht entrance fee? The worker or waitress has to work a whole day for it.

Just back from Khao Yai NP.  Thai 40b, car 50b, farang 400b.

no general objection to dual pricing since local award wages is a fraction of farang wages, but for the message this sends, they might as well have a guy at the gate pointing and yelling, "get da @&$# out of my park."

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:

Right. I like the polls from time to time when they ask the expats, if they feel "like home" in Thailand. I always write "no, how can I feel like home in a country what demands much higher prices and 90 days reports from me. I am treated like an unwanted visitor, so I feel like a visitor".

I can't see that any country would want a foreigner to feel "at home" unless they had committed to citizenship.

Other than that it's pretty much "pay for stay".

The more you pay the more you are "welcome".

They may bring in a lot of money but who, in the UK, wants the Russian Oligarchs and Saudi Princes to feel "at home"?

Not me, for sure.

On 11/2/2019 at 4:16 AM, sirineou said:

400 bht, $12 usd the price of a value meal at Burger King in the US. I wonder how much does it cost to visit a national park back in one's country?

I usually pay that much, and more back in the US and I am delighted to pay  400 ght in Thailand , How much do you guys pay in Europe, Australia, etc??

Well if you want to compare what is allegedly the best park in Thailand (Khao Yai) with the best in Australia, entrance to Kakadu is $25 (approx 500 baht) .....BUT is valid for up to 14 days, and includes free guided walks from knowledgeable rangers, free camping, and is truly a world class National Park.

AND they have free admission to everybody with an NT address. And that is everybody, not just born and bred locals, so a Thai living, working or studying there gets in for free too.

Otherwise you pay the same, no matter whether you come from Bondi or Bangkok, Melbourne or Manhattan.

On 11/2/2019 at 2:04 AM, CNXexpat said:

But I am not a fan of paying 600% more than a Thai

That sounds like a lot until you get reasonable and understand you are only talking about 300 baht... and the choice of not going. It isn't like a tax - it is merely a small entrance fee. 

there is dual pricing in so many things... even back in USA... it is Thailand, they are surely within their rights to let Thai people go into Thai parks for free or at a discount... 

if you feel so abused over $10, then just think how it must feel that a Thai needs to jump through so many hoops to get into your country, I assume, and you can probably just buy a plane tkt and get in for 30 days here for free... do you ocmplain to your own govt abt that? Treating Thai people so unfairly? Or if it doesn't come out of your pocket, it is of no consequence. 

why do you think everything in another country, another culture, should be exactly the same as in your culture? Even though just the one mentioned advantage given you is huge compared to what it might cost a Thai to even apply for a visa, at least to USA? 

3 minutes ago, Enoon said:

I can't see that any country would want a foreigner to feel "at home" unless they had committed to citizenship.

Other than that it's pretty much "pay for stay".

The more you pay the more you are "welcome".

They may bring in a lot of money but who, in the UK, wants the Russian Oligarchs and Saudi Princes to feel "at home"?

Not me, for sure.

The oligarchs and princes are the minority. The majority are banker, engineers, nurses and workers from other (EU) countries they are working hard since years. 

3 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

if you feel so abused over $10, then just think how it must feel that a Thai needs to jump through so many hoops to get into your country, I assume, and you can probably just buy a plane tkt and get in for 30 days here for free... do you ocmplain to your own govt abt that? Treating Thai people so unfairly? 

Whenever people bring up this visa free argument they are forgetting one thing ....Thailand is not doing that for our benefit, but for their tourist industry. They only do it because it’s in their best interest to do so, that’s why whenever tourist numbers are down they start talking about visa free entry for the Chinese and Indians, etc. It’s completely irrelevant to double pricing.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

I took the time to learn how to speak their language, marry, have kids (as one is out of university, the 2nd in University, while the 3rd is less than a couple years to graduate from Mattayom), get a driver license and now the pink card and yellow book, bought cars motorcycles a house and support  the Thai economy in large ways I will not go into. 

So, they should have an application process and interview everyone who is not Thai to determine a proper price for them individually? I have done similar to you but do not expect I should get a discount on a trivial entrance fee. 

And you did all these things because you wanted to, or decided to, and because of that all foreign visitors should be exempt from fees here? Sounds to me that it would be easier just to pay the fee then go into cardio arrest over such not so horrible things... 

5 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Whenever people bring up this visa free argument they are forgetting one thing ....Thailand is not doing that for our benefit, but for their tourist industry. They only do it because it’s in their best interest to do so, that’s why whenever tourist numbers are down they start talking about visa free entry for the Chinese and Indians, etc. It’s completely irrelevant to double pricing.

So, they must have decided that charging foreigners to enter their parks is also in their best interest... aren't they allowed to do that? In my home country they have many instances of dual pricing... which are surely decided by their own interests too... why do you as a visitor think you should make the laws here? 

seems some people on htis forum feel as though they should be lauded for buying noodle soup..

6 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

That sounds like a lot until you get reasonable and understand you are only talking about 300 baht... and the choice of not going. It isn't like a tax - it is merely a small entrance fee. 

there is dual pricing in so many things... even back in USA... it is Thailand, they are surely within their rights to let Thai people go into Thai parks for free or at a discount... 

if you feel so abused over $10, then just think how it must feel that a Thai needs to jump through so many hoops to get into your country, I assume, and you can probably just buy a plane tkt and get in for 30 days here for free... do you ocmplain to your own govt abt that? Treating Thai people so unfairly? Or if it doesn't come out of your pocket, it is of no consequence. 

why do you think everything in another country, another culture, should be exactly the same as in your culture? Even though just the one mentioned advantage given you is huge compared to what it might cost a Thai to even apply for a visa, at least to USA? 

Ask a Myanmar or Cambodian worker or waitress if they think that 300 Baht is a small entrance fee when they make 350 Baht per day. They are foreigners too.

Yes, it was a bit more difficult for my wife to come to Germany the first time, where I met her. But she got a visa for 90 days, not only 30. After we married some years later, she was treated like a German, same rights, same duties. She could buy land, work, own a company for 100% and so on. First she got a visa for 1 year, then 3 years, then endless. No 90 days reports or reports if she left the province for more than 24 hours. 

I don´t feel abused about the USD 10, I feel abused about the 600% higher price. I wish other countries do this with Thais too: "You can afford to travel to Europe, USA, Australia, Japan and also Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos - you must be rich. So pay 600% more than the citizens". Astonishingly Thais complain a lot if they have to pay at Angkor Wat the foreign price.  

On 11/2/2019 at 7:26 AM, Fex Bluse said:

if prices for EVERY ITEM in Thailand were 600% more expensive for you?

you mean like in Paris, New York, Tokyo, San Francisco... my guess you would not have too many on this forum choosing to retire there... but we are talking abt a park admission and 600% is just a couple of hundred baht... get over it or don't go... the choice is yours.

The Authorities just don't get it.  If they insisted that all of us on Non O, A, B, and any other letter of the alphabet , extensions, must have a Thai ID card, they could do away with TM30s, arrival cards, reentry permits, 90 day reporting, certificates of residency for buying stuff and getting a driving licence, registering at a hotel and all the rest of the useless paperwork.  They just have to make it easy to get one (at the local Immigration Office) and make it attractive, by providing discounts to attractions, in large shops, National transport  etc. I would be happy to carry one under those conditions, as it is, I will not bother, there is no point. 

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

you mean like in Paris, New York, Tokyo, San Francisco...

How much is the minimum salary per hour in these cities? More than the minimum salary per DAY in Thailand. But how much is the price for renting an apartment in these cities? You can´t compare the prices of 2 countries. 

Do you know, that a citizen from Cambodia and Laos is a foreigner too? Do you also know that they in average earn less than Thais? Or a worker from these countries in Thailand earns the same than poor Thais but - as written - they are foreigners and have to pay the foreigner prices. 

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Went to Ramayana water park near Rayong last week. I got the old fart senior price while the missus had to pay the full fee. About 400 baht difference if I recall correctly. She didn't spit the dummy over dual pricing.

Yes, and kids also pay less then grown ups. Common in most countries of the world. This has nothing to do with double pricing.

3 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

How much is the minimum salary per hour in these cities? More than the minimum salary per DAY in Thailand. But how much is the price for renting an apartment in these cities? You can´t compare the prices of 2 countries. 

Do you know, that a citizen from Cambodia and Laos is a foreigner too? Do you also know that they in average earn less than Thais? Or a worker from these countries in Thailand earns the same than poor Thais but - as written - they are foreigners and have to pay the foreigner prices. 

Ah, ok, I get it - - they should have floating rates for each different nationality and re-calculate as to exchange rates and all other factors on a daily basis... 

It is a sad thing that there are people in the world struggling with low minimum wages but I doubt they <deleted> and moan abt perceived unfairness at amusement attractions... 

Just now, kenk24 said:

But, you are saying every place should have the exact same policies as your home country?

No. They can do what they want. Double pricing, death penalty for homosexuality, higher penalties for foreigner than for citizens, higher taxes for foreigners, etc. Up to them. But I don´t have to like it. My wife is Thai, so I live here. If she wouldn´t be Thai, I wouldn´t live in Thailand for sure. 

6 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Went to Ramayana water park near Rayong last week. I got the old fart senior price while the missus had to pay the full fee. About 400 baht difference if I recall correctly. She didn't spit the dummy over dual pricing.

I tried for the over 60 price at Khon Karen zoo, they said no, only for Thais .....then I asked why the ???? have a big sign in English advertising the discount ? All they could do was shrug and the usual silly smile.

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

Ah, ok, I get it - - they should have floating rates for each different nationality

Nonsense, they should have the same prices for everybody. Same as 7/11, BigC and others do. Or would you like if they have foreigner prices too, 600% higher?

7 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I tried for the over 60 price at Khon Karen zoo, they said no, only for Thais .....then I asked why the ???? have a big sign in English advertising the discount ? All they could do was shrug and the usual silly smile.

They took a photocopy of my Aussie drivers license as proof of age. Maybe I was just lucky on the day.

14 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Yes, and kids also pay less then grown ups. Common in most countries of the world. This has nothing to do with double pricing.

It has everything to do with dual pricing but obviously it does not fit your agenda. Two different prices based on age or two different prices based on nationality. Seems much the same to me.

I wouldn't have refused to pay the full rate out of principle though as we had an 8 eight drive to get there, three nights hotel accommodation plus food etc etc. and another 8 hours drive to get home. Maybe 15,000 baht all up.

The total entry fee was 2960 baht for two adults and two kids. If there was no discount for me it would have been 3360 baht. No big deal. I certainly wasn't going to cling to the fence for the day and watch the others have fun over a lousy 400 baht, and I cerrtainly wasn't going to deny the kids their fun.

I guess we should have stayed home, saved the money and bought a couple of plastic buckets and thrown water over each other. Living the dream. 555

On 11/2/2019 at 2:04 AM, CNXexpat said:

Right, I also can afford it. But I am not a fan of paying 600% more than a Thai. If a noodle soup stall would ask for 300 Baht foreigner price instead of 50 Baht for a Thai, I also wouldn´t pay these 250 Baht more. I also refuse the 400 Baht entrance fee for foreigners at the San Khampaeng hot spring instead of the 50 Baht for Thais. That´s 8 times more. 

The difference being that national parks are supported by tax dollars, while private venues are opportunists, possibly racists, ripping us off. Cross state lines in the US and you pay more to fish or hunt or enter state parks. That's the government returning value to its taxpayers. I agree about Sankampaeng Hot Springs. They're segregationists. Doi Saket Hot Springs gets my money.

1 minute ago, LawrenceN said:

The difference being that national parks are supported by tax dollars, while private venues are opportunists, possibly racists, ripping us off. Cross state lines in the US and you pay more to fish or hunt or enter state parks. That's the government returning value to its taxpayers. I agree about Sankampaeng Hot Springs. They're segregationists. Doi Saket Hot Springs gets my money.

Thais only pay tax if they earn more than 150,000 Baht per month. No waitress or salesman earns so much. So Thai national parks aren´t supported so much by tax Baht. Perhaps from foreigners they work in Thailand - but they have to pay the foreigner price.

What you mean are discounts for locals. But a Thai from 1,500 km away Phuket also only pays 50 Baht at Doi Inthanon.

Archived