Doi Inthanon National Park: no Thai price with pink ID card anymore

CNXexpat

35 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

No. They can do what they want. Double pricing, death penalty for homosexuality, higher penalties for foreigner than for citizens, higher taxes for foreigners, etc. Up to them. But I don´t have to like it. My wife is Thai, so I live here. If she wouldn´t be Thai, I wouldn´t live in Thailand for sure. 

ok. just live here and complain about 10 euros because... wait a minute.. big news coming... things are just not the same as where you were born. 

you come to a foreign country and wow.. things are different... what exactly did ypu expect? 

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Nonsense, they should have the same prices for everybody. Same as 7/11, BigC and others do. Or would you like if they have foreigner prices too, 600% higher?

so. in your world every place should do everything the same. Govts should be the same as private enterprise... quite rigid but i see your point... 

How are you ever going to adjust to ageing? 

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Govts should be the same as private enterprise...

Do you pay tax in Thailand? If yes, I guess you are fine if the government ask you as a foreigner for a higher tax rate as Thais. 
The floating market in Ayutthaya, Sea World, water parks and others ask for higher foreigner prices - and they are private enterprises and not government owned. So why shouldn´t ask taxi drivers and shops for 600% higher foreigner prices?  

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

So, they should have an application process and interview everyone who is not Thai to determine a proper price for them individually? I have done similar to you but do not expect I should get a discount on a trivial entrance fee. 

And you did all these things because you wanted to, or decided to, and because of that all foreign visitors should be exempt from fees here? Sounds to me that it would be easier just to pay the fee then go into cardio arrest over such not so horrible things... 

Wrong. It is discrimination and the principal of the matter. But one who has went to over the tourist level being the nine yards here, even retiree who bought a condo, should be respected and accepted. Yeah, I got money too, big deal, but I don't like getting crapped on.

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I don't mind the tourists paying but come on, but we as long timers deserve respect. 

Whether we are short timer or long timer, we are all 'aliens' to Thai government.

The problem is that most people whine and whine but never vote with their feet. More and more aliens are coming to Thailand , so they can afford to have double pricing.

It's only when short and long timer vote with their feet in large numbers will we see a change in attitude in Thai people. Until then, we have to bear with it.

it's not so much a question of price, it's the principal. Just reverse the roles, a Thai expat in Oz

coming to the checkout at Woolworth with groceries and being told, you are a foreigner,

sorry Sir it's 100% on top of your purchase. Obviously it would not happen there because there are

laws and regulations to prevent it. And that's the difference!

27 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

it's not so much a question of price, it's the principal. Just reverse the roles, a Thai expat in Oz

coming to the checkout at Woolworth with groceries and being told, you are a foreigner,

sorry Sir it's 100% on top of your purchase. Obviously it would not happen there because there are

laws and regulations to prevent it. And that's the difference!

Never seen a foreigner being charged double at BigC. 555 Do try and keep away from the apples and oranges.

People are using the subject to indicate some greater significance than it has. It's simply that the government decided that, in order to fund the national parks, they would levvy a greater charge on those who don't contribute to the economy and thus don't already contribute to the funds required for the upkeep of the national parks.

You could argue that certain groups of aliens, such as people on business visas, work permits should be exempt, but the Thai government kept it simple (as they tend to do) and created a blunt instrument to achieve their objective. A racist policy-no, xenophobic-possibly, an indictment on the character of the Thai race-absolutely not.

I don’t have a problem with dual pricing for National parks. If the entrance revenues go towards the maintenance, upkeep and development of the park it can’t be a bad thing. It also allows Thais to access these places at lower fees than the parks would need to charge to get the required revenues.

Its just a fact of life here. The OP is just making an observation ( Thanks).

I guess if the pricing structure upsets people so much they should vote with their feet and just don’t go, or wait for your Thai wife/gf and Thai family and friends outside in the car park.

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

People are using the subject to indicate some greater significance than it has. It's simply that the government decided that, in order to fund the national parks, they would levvy a greater charge on those who don't contribute to the economy and thus don't already contribute to the funds required for the upkeep of the national parks.

You could argue that certain groups of aliens, such as people on business visas, work permits should be exempt, but the Thai government kept it simple (as they tend to do) and created a blunt instrument to achieve their objective. A racist policy-no, xenophobic-possibly, an indictment on the character of the Thai race-absolutely not.

OK, that argument holds water (to some extent) for National Parks, the Grand Palace and similar places that are taxpayer funded, apart from the fact that many Thais pay no income tax and very little VAT, in fact many 2 week tourists probably pay more tax. But how do you justify the dual pricing of private businesses ? My favourite example being the Seaworld aquarium at Siam Paragon, Bangkok which has the usual sneaky practice of disguising the much cheaper Thai price in Thai numerals. This business is not even Thai, it is part of Merlin Entertainments which is a British company and operates tourist attractions all over the world including Madame Tussauds, the various "Eye" ferris wheels, other Seaworlds, and even has the management franchise for the Blackpool tower. Do they charge extra for rich Thais who can afford to go to England ? Would they be allowed too ?

Actually, if I was British I would love to buy just one share in the company just to go to the AGM and ask about their racist policy just for a stir !

On 11/2/2019 at 1:54 AM, DannyCarlton said:

250 baht isn't exactly going to break the bank. Wouldn't stop me going.

It’s not about it’s more about tier pricing. I can understand discount for seniors, students,local residents with identification.

But for people because of their not a citizen of a particular country 

IMO above should apply for all countries.

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

as a foreigner leaving in the US I always paid the same as a US citizen and as a foreigner having a Swiss bank account paying the same fees as my Swiss friends, as for the Louvre entry fee being 70% higher for foreigners can you , PLEASE, provide supporting data.....quite confused with your comments

Never said 70% higher for foreigners.

Since you have difficulty reading, I will take a pass on providing supporting data which you can get from google anyway.

24 minutes ago, MikeN said:

OK, that argument holds water (to some extent) for National Parks, the Grand Palace and similar places that are taxpayer funded, apart from the fact that many Thais pay no income tax and very little VAT, in fact many 2 week tourists probably pay more tax. But how do you justify the dual pricing of private businesses ? My favourite example being the Seaworld aquarium at Siam Paragon, Bangkok which has the usual sneaky practice of disguising the much cheaper Thai price in Thai numerals. This business is not even Thai, it is part of Merlin Entertainments which is a British company and operates tourist attractions all over the world including Madame Tussauds, the various "Eye" ferris wheels, other Seaworlds, and even has the management franchise for the Blackpool tower. Do they charge extra for rich Thais who can afford to go to England ? Would they be allowed too ?

Actually, if I was British I would love to buy just one share in the company just to go to the AGM and ask about their racist policy just for a stir !

Bloody Brits! Personally, I've always managed to get Thai price at the attractions I've visited.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Whether we are short timer or long timer, we are all 'aliens' to Thai government.

The problem is that most people whine and whine but never vote with their feet. More and more aliens are coming to Thailand , so they can afford to have double pricing.

It's only when short and long timer vote with their feet in large numbers will we see a change in attitude in Thai people. Until then, we have to bear with it.

Never will change. Falls on deaf hypocritical uncaring ears. I mean if the coin is on the other foot holy moly you will hear.

On 11/2/2019 at 2:04 AM, CNXexpat said:

Right, I also can afford it. But I am not a fan of paying 600% more than a Thai. If a noodle soup stall would ask for 300 Baht foreigner price instead of 50 Baht for a Thai, I also wouldn´t pay these 250 Baht more. I also refuse the 400 Baht entrance fee for foreigners at the San Khampaeng hot spring instead of the 50 Baht for Thais. That´s 8 times more. 

You are comparing a noodle stand, a privately owned business, to a government funded park. That is flawed logic.

The park is funded largely by tax dollars. Thais pay tax their entire lives, while foreigners probably average much less than their entire lives. 

It is perfectly logical, and the Thais have a perfectly legit argument to charge more. 

7 minutes ago, illiterate said:

You are comparing a noodle stand, a privately owned business, to a government funded park. That is flawed logic.

The park is funded largely by tax dollars. Thais pay tax their entire lives, while foreigners probably average much less than their entire lives. 

It is perfectly logical, and the Thais have a perfectly legit argument to charge more. 

Wrong in so many ways. A Thai has to earn more than 150,000 Baht per year to pay tax in Thailand. So all the Thais who are working as a waitress, salesman and so on never pay taxes.

What´s with the foreigner who works in Thailand and pays taxes? What´s with foreigners from Myanmar, Cambodia and so on they work in Thailand, earn 300 - 400 Baht per day and have to pay the 300 Baht foreign entrance fee?

Sea World, Art In Paradise in Chiang Mai, Floating Market in Ayutthaya, etc. are private owned businesses and they charge foreigners more. Not only government owned national parks.

16 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Wrong in so many ways. A Thai has to earn more than 150,000 Baht per year to pay tax in Thailand. So all the Thais who are working as a waitress, salesman and so on never pay taxes.

What´s with the foreigner who works in Thailand and pays taxes? What´s with foreigners from Myanmar, Cambodia and so on they work in Thailand, earn 300 - 400 Baht per day and have to pay the 300 Baht foreign entrance fee?

Sea World, Art In Paradise in Chiang Mai, Floating Market in Ayutthaya, etc. are private owned businesses and they charge foreigners more. Not only government owned national parks.

THere is sales tax in Thailand. 

as I said, foreigners who pay tax, on averge, do so on a much shorter timeline than Thais. You logic is flawed, fueled by emotion, believe me. You are the epitome of biased.

There are also programs where foreigners get their sales tax back at the airport. 

Your own country has private enterprises like colleges who charge more as well. I remember disneyland had a "drivers license from state xxx get in for $20" period. The list could go on but it is boring. 

You are wrong. Get over it and move on. 

5 minutes ago, illiterate said:

THere is sales tax in Thailand. 

as I said, foreigners who pay tax, on averge, do so on a much shorter timeline than Thais. 

Your own country has private enterprises like colleges who charge more as well. I remember disneyland had a "drivers license from state xxx get in for $20" period. The list could go on but it is boring. 

You are wrong. Get over it and move on. 

Still wrong in so many ways and I am bored to explain it to you. So I let you think I am wrong and you feel better.

On 11/2/2019 at 4:54 AM, DannyCarlton said:

250 baht isn't exactly going to break the bank. Wouldn't stop me going.

Sometimes its not a matter of money, its a matter of principal 

I wouldn't pay more to go to a place that has that attitude, better to spend my money elsewhere 

3 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

Sometimes its not a matter of money, its a matter of principal 

I wouldn't pay more to go to a place that has that attitude, better to spend my money elsewhere 

As I've said before:

Principal = cutting your nose off to spite your face. Particularly for 250 baht.

15 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Still wrong in so many ways and I am bored to explain it to you. So I let you think I am wrong and you feel better.

People who can't explain how others are wrong are usually wrong themselves. 

Mr. Somchai who was born in Thailand, has three Thai children, and will live his entire life here will pay much more sales and other types of Thai taxes than the average foreigner. Much more. So, paying a little less when he goes to a government run facility like a park is perfectly reasonable. But people fueled by bias like yourself just refuse to see it. 

15 minutes ago, illiterate said:

People who can't explain how others are wrong are usually wrong themselves. 

Mr. Somchai who was born in Thailand, has three Thai children, and will live his entire life here will pay much more sales and other types of Thai taxes than the average foreigner. Much more. So, paying a little less when he goes to a government run facility like a park is perfectly reasonable. But people fueled by bias like yourself just refuse to see it. 

First you say, that it´s not possible to compare Thai government owned parks with private owned shops. Then I show you, that private owned businesses do the same. 

Then you talk about tax what Thais pay and I show you that most Thais pay no tax. Then you wrote you mean sales tax. 

Mr. Somchai makes 14,334 Baht per month https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages  He buys his fruits and vegetables and other stuff at the market without sales tax. I spend 100,000 Baht per month for travelling in Thailand, restaurants, shopping and so on. Plus I bought a multi million Baht house, a 1.4 million Baht car (every 4 - 5 years a new one), expensive furniture and a build-in kitchen for 200,000 Baht and much more. What do you think who is paying more taxes, what kind ever? Me during 10 years in Thailand or Somchai in his whole life? 

On 11/2/2019 at 7:24 AM, dcnx said:

Thai parks are garbage and not worth even the Thai price for entry. One trip to a country with a real park system will show anyone how terrible they are here. 

We were just in Yosemite two months ago. THAT is a national park. It costs $30 per vehicle. They didn’t care what color we were or where we came from, $30 for the entire car. There were 4 of us and it cost LESS to enter one of the worlds greatest parks than it does to enter Doi Inthanon. 

Yes , and for those saying that Thais 'get a discount' on 400 baht and that 400 baht is a  reasonable tariff   , I would point out that 400 baht is more than the minimum daily wage.

So how many Americans that get a basic daily wage of say $80 a day ,  would expect tourists to pay more than  $80 entry to a National Park ? 

These places are meant to showcase the beauty of the Nation and hopefully increase tourism visitation.

Instead they appear to foster a lot of resentment from the get go  and may well do just the opposite.

2 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

First you say, that it´s not possible to compare Thai government owned parks with private owned shops. Then I show you, that private owned businesses do the same. 

Then you talk about tax what Thais pay and I show you that most Thais pay no tax. Then you wrote you mean sales tax. 

Mr. Somchai makes 14,334 Baht per month https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages  He buys his fruits and vegetables and other stuff at the market without sales tax. I spend 100,000 Baht per month for travelling in Thailand, restaurants, shopping and so on. Plus I bought a multi million Baht house, a 1.4 million Baht car (every 4 - 5 years a new one), expensive furniture and a build-in kitchen for 200,000 Baht and much more. What do you think who is paying more taxes, what kind ever? Me during 10 years in Thailand or Somchai in his whole life? 

Sounds like you can afford a few hundred baht to visit a national park wheras Mr. Somchai can't. I'd have no problem subsidising Mr Somchai and his family if it meant that he could enjoy the beauties of his own country too.

9 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Anybody can pick and choose. Is there a Thai citizen who exists that pays less taxes than an expat? lol. That is not the question buddy. Anyway, I could pick an expat who pays 0 tax and a Thai who pays a ton of tax. So what? All that matters is that the average Thai pays Thai taxes a lot longer. Anyway, even if they did it how you say and people brought in tax statements to the park you would be complaining that is too cumbersome. 

You were the one who brought up private businesses when you mentioned the noodle stand, not me. 

This is your thread! Read the topic. It is about a national park. If you want to start another one on private businesses, go ahead, but like i said they charge different rates in every country for things like college tuition. I am not sure you can read at this point to be honest. 

Look, you obviously do not read. Just read this: you just said....

"i show you that most Thais pay no tax".

No! No, you most certainly did not show me that in any way. There is sales tax in thailand! How many Thais do you know who do not go into 7-11?. 

Your statements are barely making it past third grade intelligence levels. 

Archived