Papa considering 2nd-hand KTM Duke 390

papa al

58 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

373cc.

Single-cylinder.

Sit on top of a jackhammer to relax afterwards.

What a load of tosh, there are many single cylinder bike engines far bigger than 373cc, so they are all worse than jackhammers... !!!? Have you actually been on a Duke 390...?

4 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

373cc.

Single-cylinder.

Sit on top of a jackhammer to relax afterwards.

It's not so bad.

If you ride with changing RPM then basically you don't feel the vibrations.

If you ride an hour on the highway with the same RPM then the hands still vibrate when you park your bike. But it's over in a few minutes. Not perfect, but no big problem. The Duke 390 is anyhow not built for long trips.

17 hours ago, papa al said:

This guy didn't answer bahtsold message & his Phone # is kaput.

Guess he left back for GB.

Saw a 2013, Thai owned in Lopburi for B30K. // Kaidee

papa is cool with older bikes.

5 in Thailand, 3 in Colorado;

newest is 2013 or 2012 not sure.

All good.

• Like 1

B30K

Doesn't  say milage clocked.

https://www.kaidee.com/product-351363382?suggest=1

Translated description:

Cheapest in the market KTM DUKE200 in 2013. Price is cheap. Ask         people with this price (((30,000))). Registration. Good car, can ride  normally The car is sold according to the owner's condition and is quite rugged. Take engine oil every 1000 kilograms. Enough color. Blame the broken lamp. Anybody who can accept this, then come to get to sell directly. Tell honestly, do not hide each other ^^
Click to see the telephone number xxxxxx242 Om Lop Buri.

?? 5 5

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, papa al said:

All good.

In theory I understand that you are cool with older bikes. And I think "old" bike like bikes with carburetor are ok.

But how do you handle "modern electronic" from 5 years ago? I.e. the speedometer from the old Duke is about 300USD, the TFT display from the new model cost about 1000USD! What do you do if the speedo does not work anymore? Likely that means the bike does not start anymore. Would you buy a 2nd hand speedo and hope it works? Or buy a new one for 10,000THB or what would you do?

8 hours ago, sillyfool said:

bought a used ktm duke 390 a few months ago. no complaints really other than i don't really like the engine sound the 1 cylinder makes. 

i rode from pathum thani to bkk and from pathum to trat already. both trips were really fun. 

replacement parts can be found on ebay for decent prices. your need to find a good shop to service it though. i found one out near me with great staff and service. they have done a bang up so far of fixing anything i wanted. bk bike shop - khlong sam - pathum thani

i drive it hard all the time and she keeps on giving. 

i wish i could find some foot rests to put on the crash mounts so i could extend my leg on longer trips. i have terrible ankles and knees and it wares on me after a while. 

seating position is decent but i am looking to replace the seat foam for my next trip. the foam is not great for longer trips at all. 

decent amount of power to get in and out of any troubles you may run into. small enough to get in between traffic as well.

i often ride into bkk on it with no issues at all. 

doesn't seem to be the best on gas but i think that is me and my terrible riding habits. 

was meant to read pathum thani to hat yai and pathum thani to trat. hat yai was a long ride.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, papa al said:

.... ouch !

$333.

Probably do that.

This is the one for the old model: https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/ktm-parts/90114069000

And this is for the new one: https://www.ktmonlineparts.com.au/partFinder/fiche/ktm/2017/390-duke-orange-b-d-17/instruments-lock-system

These are just random links, there might be better prices out there.

5 hours ago, papa al said:

B30K

Doesn't  say milage clocked.

https://www.kaidee.com/product-351363382?suggest=1

Translated description:

Cheapest in the market KTM DUKE200 in 2013. Price is cheap. Ask         people with this price (((30,000))). Registration. Good car, can ride  normally The car is sold according to the owner's condition and is quite rugged. Take engine oil every 1000 kilograms. Enough color. Blame the broken lamp. Anybody who can accept this, then come to get to sell directly. Tell honestly, do not hide each other ^^
Click to see the telephone number xxxxxx242 Om Lop Buri.

?? 5 5

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/408383343176408/

5 hours ago, papa al said:

All good.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/588051955337825/

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Yes, I owned one. 

So let's see, what do you compare it to, and are you still siting on the jackhammer everyday, that's like marrying an ugly fat girl and then complaining about it for the rest of your life .... ! 

Ah, sorry, didn't see your user name, fair enough.... lol

Edited by Agusts

On 11/3/2019 at 6:11 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Finally I am able to post - the moderator gave me a break...

I bought a new 2017 model Duke 390 last year. I have it now since about 1.5 years and in general I like the bike. I use it 95% only in Bangkok, mostly Sukhumvit traffic. I would buy it again.

Who the hell would want a lumpy Thumper as their daily driver in BKK ?

you must be stark raving bonkers.....

It would be beyond awful - Feathering the clutch every few seconds - and the noisy fan coming on at every set of traffic lights.

Chuck in the monster running costs (like 5,000 baht for a 7,500 service)  Its total madness - anyone with an ounce of common sense would have bought an auto scooter..

An Aerox / N Max / PCX auto scooter is the best daily driver in the bonkers BKK traffic .. if in doubt ask Papa - he knows EVERYTHING !

Edited by piston broke
  • Haha 1

On 11/4/2019 at 6:57 AM, piston broke said:

The Kawa will be like supermarket vanilla ice cream - The KTM (esp the new 390) would be like Ben and Jerry's choco mint chip ......

10 hours ago, piston broke said:

Who the hell would want a lumpy Thumper as their daily driver in BKK ?

It seems you change your mind at lot. Was one of the beers bad last night?

1 hour ago, piston broke said:

my comment was about having a Duke 390 as a daily driver in BKK - Madness !

Other than that its a fine motorcycle....

He does have a point !

i've driven my Duke 390 into BKK a couple of times to go to Burn Rubber (the main KTM dealer) .

The BKK traffic is a nightmare - i absolutely hated it and couldn't wait to get out...

So with a clean sheet - Living in BKK and looking for a "daily driver" - An Aerox would be my first choice.

A Duke 390 would have cost over THREE times what an Aerox would - and imho (40 years riding over 50 bikes under my belt) - the Aerox would be 3 times easier to ride, and the Duke 390 would cost well over THREE times to service / maintain....

If you wanted to sell your 390 today - i guess you would be looking at loosing 120-130,000 baht - You could buy TWO Aerox's for that.....

If you'd have bought an Aerox at the same time you bought your Duke, and wanted to sell it today, it would have lost about 15-20,000 Baht .....

When you do the maths - Mr Piston broke does have a point !

ps: I love my Gen 2 390 - but its for the back road twisties not for riding in heavy traffic....

On a lighter note:

a video of Poppa on his new Duke 390 - showing a BMW S1000RR how to go round corners (lol) .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, piston broke said:

my comment was about having a Duke 390 as a daily driver in BKK - Madness !

Other than that its a fine motorcycle....

you called it a "lumpy Thumper".

So now it seems in the city it's a "lumpy Thumper" but outside the same bike is a "fine motorcycle"?

49 minutes ago, properperson said:

So with a clean sheet - Living in BKK and looking for a "daily driver" - An Aerox would be my first choice.

If you like that kind of bike, fine!

I don't like automatic scooters and I don't like bikes which have brakes on the left and right side of the handlebar (I don't know if that is the case for the Aerox).

It sees some people here don't like a clutch.

Personally I don't really notice it. It's there, it's not hard to pull, no problem.

And I don't mind having both hands on the handlebars. I don't use my phone while I am riding ...

And riding in the middle of Bangkok is not so bad - after one get used to it. I do it since 20 years with different bikes. And the Duke is definitely built for city traffic. It's produced in India - with exactly that kind of city traffic in mind.

• Like 2

Well papa don't live in BKK to my knowledge.

I really like my girly PCX for Pattaya city riding, 40l top box fitted and all. It's just so practical, no chain to maintain, so basically no maintenance between oil changes at 4000km. Yes there will always be a scooter in my garage.

Back to the KTM, the 390cc seems like a fun little bike, quite powerful all things considered, would love to try one out, must be very fun to ride in the mountains.  

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I really like my girly PCX for Pattaya city riding, 40l top box fitted and all

That's even worse than the normal PCX.

In Bangkok motorcycle parking in office buildings and malls are often small places which are just "big" enough for scooters.

And then there are those PCX and other bathtubs with top box - and they are a lot longer than "normal" bikes. Very annoying for anybody who likes to park their bike.

I understand that those boxes are wonderful for storage. But at least here the block the way...

top_box_honda_pcx_led___pcx_old.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Don't know where that came from. My PCX - 1.94M is hardly longer than wifes Wave - 1.86M. Like 8cm will cause massive disruption !

He mentioned a top-box and it seems they are often mounted to "hang over the rear".

This means in parking areas the top-box often blocks the way.

H0PC10ST-2.jpg