3BB GPON - enforcement of fiberhome router

muratremix

Hi,

I was pretty happy with the combination of 3BB GPON - ONT (fiberhome) device + my own router in PPoE mode for over 2 years in Samui. Then, I moved to phuket and they told me that I can't use it anymore. I even made them test on a fresh install and GPON never got the LoS signal. I'm stuck with their Black Fiberhome 2 antenna HG6245D router and it doesn't support Bridge mode (or it is hidden?).

Edit: I managed to found Bridge mode with a clear head this morning.

https://ftp3.epcom.net/usuarios/ftp/2019/03/29/2ff41/HG6245D product manual0.pdf

Need to choose Other for Service type then you can choose Bridge mode in Connection type which can be set to any LAN port you use to connect your main router.
So far it's working good.

Is there anyway to get out of this? Can I buy a compatible GPON - ONT (1 port) device from Aliexpress or locally and avoid using their router in DMZ mode (my router is connected via Static IP and in order to avoid double nat, I enabled DMZ to my Asus router)

I think wavelength is different in Phuket or they restrict devices based on Mac address somehow.

Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 07.05.36.png

Edited by muratremix

• 4 weeks later...

@muratremix,

did you find a solution for an own GPON ONT?

I have a similar problem with CAT. I have their fiberhome GPON ONU AN5506-04-FG which even doesn't have AC standard and doesn't let you have fixed ip addresses for your connected devices.

Edited by pe747
clarifiy

18 hours ago, pe747 said:

@muratremix,

did you find a solution for an own GPON ONT?

I have a similar problem with CAT. I have their fiberhome GPON ONU AN5506-04-FG which even doesn't have AC standard and doesn't let you have fixed ip addresses for your connected devices.

I simply converted fiberhome router into bridge mode and connected my asus ac86u router. I also disabled wifi radio on fiberhome router. 

Weird about 3BB and routers. I was just having a discussion with them in BKK about their dual band routers, and routers in general.

And their tech guys kept insisting they only had two models available I could get from them for use with my fiber connection -- single band Huawei HG8245 or dual band 8145V5.

They never mentioned anything about Fiberhome versions.

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Weird about 3BB and routers. I was just having a discussion with them in BKK about their dual band routers, and routers in general.

And their tech guys kept insisting they only had two models available I could get from them for use with my fiber connection -- single band Huawei HG8245 or dual band 8145V5.

They never mentioned anything about Fiberhome versions.

I had also a conversation with CAT and they said they don't have any other GPON ONU than the FiberHome I have. And that is a single band n router. Technology from 2007.

On 11/29/2019 at 9:26 AM, muratremix said:

I simply converted fiberhome router into bridge mode and connected my asus ac86u router. I also disabled wifi radio on fiberhome router. 

Did you have to put in Username and Passwd from CAT in the PPPoE mode in your ASUS router?

On 11/29/2019 at 9:26 AM, muratremix said:

I just got one of these today, and pretty shocked when they switched it to bridge mode remotely - speeds went down from 600Mb to ~320Mb. Got engineers (don't think they are actually engineers at all TBH) back to house, and they confirmed by hooking up their own laptop to 3BB router and switching between routing mode and bridge mode _ PPoE from Windows. They told me they do not guarantee any speeds in bridge mode, which I understand.
I'm running AIS and (now) 3BB in front of a Draytek 2925AC router. But I cant get my head around the speed drop due to bridge mode. 
Anyone else with 3BB in bridge mode experienced this?  If in bridge mode is your router still running IPv6?

9 hours ago, RedCardinal said:

I just got one of these today, and pretty shocked when they switched it to bridge mode remotely - speeds went down from 600Mb to ~320Mb. Got engineers (don't think they are actually engineers at all TBH) back to house, and they confirmed by hooking up their own laptop to 3BB router and switching between routing mode and bridge mode _ PPoE from Windows. They told me they do not guarantee any speeds in bridge mode, which I understand.
I'm running AIS and (now) 3BB in front of a Draytek 2925AC router. But I cant get my head around the speed drop due to bridge mode. 
Anyone else with 3BB in bridge mode experienced this?  If in bridge mode is your router still running IPv6?

I get same (or almost same like 98%) speed with Bridge mode on. I can still use IPv6 because my Asus AC86u supports it natively.

It's possible that some config error on your router limiting speed. Check router load or cpu usage when you do speed test.

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

It's possible that some config error on your router limiting speed. Check router load or cpu usage when you do speed test.

Problem is with the 3BB router, and since it's in bridge mode I cannot check any settings. The Draytek supports IPv6 natively, and it's running on the AIS WAN, but seems not to be running on 3BB router. Will call them again today.

Did you set up bridge mode yourself on the 3BB router?  They told me had to do by support, but your post above looks like you did it yourself?  How are you getting to admin interface once it's in bridge mode?

3 hours ago, RedCardinal said:

Problem is with the 3BB router, and since it's in bridge mode I cannot check any settings. The Draytek supports IPv6 natively, and it's running on the AIS WAN, but seems not to be running on 3BB router. Will call them again today.

Did you set up bridge mode yourself on the 3BB router?  They told me had to do by support, but your post above looks like you did it yourself?  How are you getting to admin interface once it's in bridge mode?

I set it to bridge mode myself. I could still login after bridge mode but you need to setup IP manually.

On 12/1/2019 at 6:14 PM, muratremix said:

in Bridge Mode: Yes

if you use Static IP method + DMZ (to avoid double nat), then no.

Before I set my fiberhome to bridge mode I wanted to try just hanging my old fritzbox 7390 to the fiberhome. I configuered it to get internet from an other router and it connects to fiberhome and says connected to internet. But I don't get any connections to websites. Do I have to setup something special in the fiberhome GPON?

Thanks for help

2 hours ago, pe747 said:

Before I set my fiberhome to bridge mode I wanted to try just hanging my old fritzbox 7390 to the fiberhome. I configuered it to get internet from an other router and it connects to fiberhome and says connected to internet. But I don't get any connections to websites. Do I have to setup something special in the fiberhome GPON?

Thanks for help

As I can't see the edit function for my previous post

Edit:

I found out somehow. After setting up my fritzbox to connect to external router and then share existing internet connection, it worked

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 7:43 AM, pe747 said:

I had also a conversation with CAT and they said they don't have any other GPON ONU than the FiberHome I have. And that is a single band n router. Technology from 2007.

Upgraded speed to 300/300 with CAT. They called and said, everything done, but I still measured my speed to 50/25. Went to their office to pay and complained, my speed still slow. They again said no other modem/router than the fiberhome. Later they sent a technician to my house to check. This guy told us, that the office only changed the papers but not the speed. He picked up a new GPON and a new TPlink router with 4 antennas and AC mode out of his car and installed it. So much to the people in the sales office.

• 3 months later...

@muratremix.

Found this thread after you told me you had posted it. 

Re: Your 3BB router.

What about asking 3BB if you can upgrade your router to a newer model?

I have the white colour Fiberhome AN-5506-04-FA with 4 antennas.