Pattaya Halloween: The only scary thing was the complete lack of tourists

rooster59

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Most tourists dont need a long term visa. That is only a small part of the tourists. 

Are you sure about that?   You can have 1 short time visitor for 2 weeks. Or a visitor who stays a year and is worth 26 tourists.  

Chasing away the 2nd group, and that is what they have done, can quite well contribute to the decline.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dimitriv said:

Are you sure about that?   You can have 1 short time visitor for 2 weeks. Or a visitor who stays a year and is worth 26 tourists.  

Chasing away the 2nd group, and that is what they have done, can quite well contribute to the decline.

I am sure about it if you look at expat long stay numbers and long term tourist they are a fraction of the short term tourists who spend the most. Those on longer holidays usually spend less per day. 

5 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Well You are Eating & Drinking in The WRONG Places........10,000 Baht for a night out, That is Bulls*it !!

I have no doubt drinking and  eating at 7-11 is a lot cheaper and for some it is the only RIGHT place 

34 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I was in Terminal 21 yesterday evening and saw very many people there. I regretted to go there on Friday because of the many people.

Perhaps a declining number of tourists are interested in the noisy (sex) bar business. The video shows mostly empty bars of this newer Tree Town Pattaya. You have to imagine in this erea next to the Second Road were endless often empty bars already and perhaps with the idea to improve tourism Tree Town Pattaya was added in addition to many other bars in the new Walking Street (or new Soi 6) Soi Buakhao. Perhaps they should create one more big bar area at the big empty place were the Excite Disco was before. And the 3rd road provides enough space for new bars too. And the Avenue Shopping Mall could be transformed with many bars into a Pattaya version of Nana Plaza and... I am confident Pattaya still has a lot of unused potential to increase tourism. 

Don't YOU Think there ENOUGH Bars in Pattaya,Then ?? Obviously NOT....

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I am sure about it if you look at expat long stay numbers and long term tourist they are a fraction of the short term tourists who spend the most. Those on longer holidays usually spend less per day. 

This is all based on "numbers".  How can you have reliable numbers about long and short term tourists?  Especially if the long term tourists enter the country 4 times a year to get a new visa so they will be counted as short stay tourists?

I don't believe that there are reliable numbers to support what you say.

1 hour ago, metempsychotic said:

Was off the hook here in Bangkok. 

Perhaps pattaya is catering to a dying demographic. 

Isn't that the junta's intention? To get all the tourists out of Pattaya, at least the ones that go for what the city is famous for? To get rid of red-light areas and improve the country's reputation internationally? If that's the case then something is working.

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

I have no doubt drinking and  eating at 7-11 is a lot cheaper and for some it is the only RIGHT place 

Correct. And if you learn from Indians how to share rooms and freelancers you can have a great unforgettable time for little money here. 

22 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I was in Terminal 21 yesterday evening and saw very many people there. I regretted to go there on Friday because of the many people.

Perhaps a declining number of tourists are interested in the noisy (sex) bar business. The video shows mostly empty bars of this newer Tree Town Pattaya. You have to imagine in this erea next to the Second Road were endless often empty bars already and perhaps with the idea to improve tourism Tree Town Pattaya was added in addition to many other bars in the new Walking Street (or new Soi 6) Soi Buakhao. Perhaps they should create one more big bar area at the big empty place were the Excite Disco was before. And the 3rd road provides enough space for new bars too. And the Avenue Shopping Mall could be transformed with many bars into a Pattaya version of Nana Plaza and... I am confident Pattaya still has a lot of unused potential to increase tourism. 

great idea, build more bars

my recent experience is that those doing well and are busy are those being run properly with good service and offering reasonably priced beverage, the concept is slowly catching on, every venue should have prices clearly on display, there are obvious reasons why most don't, Phuket and Hua Hin have out priced themselves and are now deserted - Pattaya is fighting the trend in some areas but not all

Add to that the exchange rate and general treatment of retires and tourists and an unnecessary stain is created that effects everyone even if it doesn't

Bad reputation is easily gained but very difficult to overcome,  You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.

It takes years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Even if baht was weaker. Have you seen the prices?

Thailand is known as a cheap holiday destination . 290 baht for a plain T-shirt at the markets is hardly cheap even if baht was weaker but at the levels it’s at now its double the price to most western countries .

220 baht for a drink , 1500 bsht

bsrfines, 1000 baht for a steak. Just a bread roll is up to 25 baht

A night out with a female company can set you back 10000, easily. 

Thailand is known as a cheap holiday destination ..........................My TW came back from Nan last week with a addidas ( fake ) T shirt , for 50B. In my local walking street I bought 2 pairs of shorts ,50B each.  In the night bazzar a tin of My Beer is 50B.

An hour of ....er...massage ( fake massage ) is 1000B with a local girl .....apparently , but don't tell everyone I like being the only falang in town.

tourists in Malls, you might see them walking about, next time look into the shops themselves, never anyone buying anything, products grossly over priced for starters. only business doing trade is the fast food outlets.  customers sat in there for hours on end playing with their phones, free wi fi

2 hours ago, keith101 said:

New Year and Songkran will be the big testers as to how the Baht is affecting tourism , I suspect the numbers will be well down and tourists who do come wont stay as long or spend as much .

Loi Kratong always used to be very crowded in Chiang Mai.

All the fun has been taken out of that, wonder what the visitor numbers will be in two weeks time.

13 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

You can have 1 short time visitor for 2 weeks. Or a visitor who stays a year and is worth 26 tourists.

Very few, if any, expats would be spending as much as 26 "2 week millionaires" in a year. Why do you think the term came about. On occasion I've spent more on a night on than some expats "live" on per month.

1 hour ago, metempsychotic said:

Was off the hook here in Bangkok. 

Perhaps pattaya is catering to a dying demographic. 

There you have it dying demographic, a while back read a good article of why Cook went bankrupt and it was a dying demographic. Those of us who liked to sit around the bar drinking beers all day and night are a dying bred being replaced with a younger traveler who wants to do stuff as opposed to having stuff done to them. Chiang Mai is actually running a good crowd of tourist some older folks in groups as well as young backpackers. Setting at my local drinks stand 4 got out of a songtaw with all there junk looked like just off the bus or train and there are more of the folks showing up every day

1 hour ago, AussieBob18 said:

Skyscanner did a survey of on-line quotes airline fares requested from Australia - that does not include the last 3-6 months.  The result was of the top 10 destinations checked, there was 2 cities in Vietnam on the list - Bangkok was not.  But the number of actual destinations travelled to had Bangkok at number 4 - and the costs of those airfares had increased way more than any other location in that year (+12%).   All that tells me that Aussie tourists booked ahead and still went to Thailand (still some to go like me), but Aussies are looking elsewhere for their next trip to SEAsia and Vietnam is very popular at the minute.  Word gets around and it is getting around fast - Vietnam is good to visit.

I’m waiting for sunnyboy to pipe in

dont go there

no hookers, no go go bars

no massage

no soapies

boring

stay away

bad place????????????????????????????????????

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have friends come here on holiday as much as 3-4 times a year they don't get close to what I spend over the same 12 months - I am worth at least x30 of them to Thailand

10 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Very few, if any, expats would be spending as much as 26 "2 week millionaires" in a year. Why do you think the term came about. On occasion I've spent more on a night on than some expats "live" on per month.

rubbish

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Even if baht was weaker. Have you seen the prices?

Thailand is known as a cheap holiday destination . 290 baht for a plain T-shirt at the markets is hardly cheap even if baht was weaker but at the levels it’s at now its double the price to most western countries .

220 baht for a drink , 1500 bsht

bsrfines, 1000 baht for a steak. Just a bread roll is up to 25 baht

A night out with a female company can set you back 10000, easily. 

this is absolutely true. therefore i found a gf online in esaan and live with her in koh phangan . i just "take care" her by giving 10000 baht monthly. no barfine no ladydrinks no nightlife anymore.

WOW..... I wonder why no customers? maybe the high baht?  maybe the battering/hounding of farangs over the past few years and they've left and not coming back? maybe the Chinese yuan has taken a nose dive? maybe farangs on holidays copping a 20,000+ baht shake down for having a few beers in them? ++++++.... the list goes on. 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I have friends come here on holiday as much as 3-4 times a year they don't get close to what I spend over the same 12 months - I am worth at least x30 of them to Thailand

How do you spend so much money?

Average tourist spend 6000 baht per day. Assuming your friends come for 2 weeks 4 times per year. They spend 336.000 baht

So you are spending 30 x that. 10.080.000 baht per year

What are you spending your money on every day as an expat?

Archived