Pattaya Halloween: The only scary thing was the complete lack of tourists

rooster59

37 minutes ago, madmen said:

Ive read it over and over and you appear to have a screw loose. Master card obviously are quoting their own data. They know exactly how many of their users were in bangkok 

They dont know anything about visa or cash..why o why would you think they would?

I cant believe you posted what you just did.

You really have a problem reading.

Mastercard says:  

The Mastercard Asia Pacific Destinations Index (APDI) ranks 161 cities based on proprietary analysis of information from third-party sources such as the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), International Air Transport Association (IATA), UNWTO, UN, IMF and national tourism boards. Public data is used in deriving the international overnight visitor arrivals and their cross-border spending in each of the 161 destination cities. Forecasts are based on the weighted average of national tourism forecasts and actual 2019 monthly data at the destination level, which is available to the latest month before release. This Index and all accompanying reports are not based on Mastercard volumes or transactional data.

Do you read?  ->>>  are not based on Mastercard volumes or transactional data.

Mastercard says that this is not their data. They say the data comes from Quote:  national tourism boards

>> Master card obviously are quoting their own data.

Mastercard says it is not their data. It seems that Mastercard and you do not agree.

And there is another thing...  How can Mastercard say that there are 22.78 million visitors in Bangkok?  And say what they spent?  Knowing that Mastercard maybe has a 50% market share, visa and others 50%, some people pay cash and the TOTAL number of visitors to Thailand is less than 40 million.  Please think. 

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Forecasts are based on the weighted average of national tourism forecasts and actual 2019 monthly data at the destination level, which is available to the latest month before release. This Index and all accompanying reports are not based on Mastercard volumes or transactional

can you read? its talking about forecasts!!  and not actual data. They have data at their finger tips but obviously not for forecasts !

1 hour ago, dimitriv said:

nd there is another thing...  How can Mastercard say that there are 22.78 million visitors in Bangkok?  And say what they spent?  Knowing that Mastercard maybe has a 50% market share, visa and others 50%, some people pay cash and the TOTAL number of visitors to Thailand is less than 40 million.  Please think.

Not important as the running debate is how much they spend per day and mastercard have that info in a few mouse clicks. 6k baht a day something TAT would be clueless about

5 minutes ago, madmen said:

Not important as the running debate is how much they spend per day and mastercard have that info in a few mouse clicks. 6k baht a day something TAT would be clueless about

Let's try again.

Mastercard has the info about THEIR visitors to Bangkok. Mastercard cannot have info about visitors using Visa, UnionPay or cash.  So Mastercard has info about 22.78 million visitors to Bangkok. Let's assume that Mastercard has a 50% market share.

22.78 million visitors to Bangkok using Mastercard

22.78 million visitors to Bangkok using Visa or UnionPay

10 million visitors to Bangkok paying cash

55,56 visitors visited Bangkok

Total number of visitors going to Thailand: less than 40 million. Do you see that this is not possible?  How can 55,56 million tourists visit Bangkok, if only less than 40 million visit Thailand?

It is much easier to believe what Mastercard writes:  This Index and all accompanying reports are not based on Mastercard volumes or transactional data. 

That word "Forecast" does not apply to everything they write. It just applies to 1 sentence.

The numbers are what TAT is hoping for, these are the numbers they need to keep their jobs and to get paid for foreign travel.

On November 2, 2019 at 10:28 PM, Pattaya46 said:

He said long time (LT), probably in his nice hotel room, not a short time in that sordid soi.

And BTW I suppose that your "upper class female" was irony? :ermm:

I agree totall, upper class females on soi 6?

not in my books!

On November 4, 2019 at 1:42 AM, sead said:

I'm staying in Pattaya 8 years now. And I'm out alot. I'm sorry for you that you dont know your way around. As a former bar owner ( last year) my bar and all bars around mine had same prices.

FORMER bar owner? Living the dream, ? Made your fortune and sold did we?

16 hours ago, adammike said:

The cost of flights are starting to rise and/or they are starting to charge for luggage and for choosing seats.

Flights are actually cheaper on the face of it because of such deceptive tricks. Initially luggage weight allowances were reduced, now it seems to be a paying option. Usually means people carry more onto the plane and boarding is chaotic. 

On 11/2/2019 at 5:22 PM, madmen said:

Dude thats the the thing about google, it trumps fantasy with facts and these are by mastercard

2018 International Overnight Visitors Growth Forecast for 2019 Average Length of Stay Average Spend Per Day (USD)
Bangkok 22.78 million 3.34% 4.8 nights $184

That translates to 5500 baht approx today but easy 6000 at time of report

https://www.tatnews.org/2019/09/bangkok-tops-mastercards-global-destination-cities-index-for-the-fourth-consecutive-year/

So, if I go to Bangkok for a night out and take my MasterCard issued by a Thai bank, and use it to pay for the hotel, am I an international visitor to Bangkok? 

Is the MasterCard data linked to the residential address of the card holder, or their citizenship? 

seems like it snowballs when numbers go down. fewer visitors means hoards of staff lurking at the front of bars acting predatory towards those fewer who walk by.

i have crossed the street at some of these places, which seems on the surface a bit ironic with a crowd of girls seeking attention, but when it gets to the point of overkill it takes out the enjoyment factor for me.

nightmare scenario would be me alone in such a place being hounded and hovered over for more drinks. how long could someone comfortably remain in that situation? not long.

5 hours ago, fhickson said:

seems like it snowballs when numbers go down. fewer visitors means hoards of staff lurking at the front of bars acting predatory towards those fewer who walk by.

i have crossed the street at some of these places, which seems on the surface a bit ironic with a crowd of girls seeking attention, but when it gets to the point of overkill it takes out the enjoyment factor for me.

nightmare scenario would be me alone in such a place being hounded and hovered over for more drinks. how long could someone comfortably remain in that situation? not long.

But you are ok grinding away at the Vietnamese lady real estate agent?Mmmm!

23 hours ago, fhickson said:

Not sure how a new bar girl is going to explain to her mother in Issan, who was a bar girl herself, that there are no customers in the bar, and she is making no money, and can't send any home. 

Mama's in Issan are not going to be happy with their monthly payments in the future. 

15 hours ago, JemJem said:

I say the currency factor is the main reason.

By the way, here is a relevant article. It is from 3 weeks back, but of course, the arguments written in there are still very much valid.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-25/the-thai-baht-reached-a-new-6-year-high-here-s-why-it-s-surging

I agree that the currency exchange is a main reason, but there's a reason food and beverage prices are what they are, especially when your average Thai is only on 300 baht a day.

The Thai landlords have done a lot to out price Pattaya / Thailand in the tourism market in this region.  They have played a big part in Pattaya / Thailand losing their competitiveness. 

On 11/15/2019 at 7:26 PM, JemJem said:

I say the currency factor is the main reason.

By the way, here is a relevant article. It is from 3 weeks back, but of course, the arguments written in there are still very much valid.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-25/the-thai-baht-reached-a-new-6-year-high-here-s-why-it-s-surging

And in second to last paragraph IMF says the currency is already well over valued. 

Archived