Pattaya Halloween: The only scary thing was the complete lack of tourists

rooster59

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Are you sure about that?   You can have 1 short time visitor for 2 weeks. Or a visitor who stays a year and is worth 26 tourists.  

Chasing away the 2nd group, and that is what they have done, can quite well contribute to the decline.

Exactly me for example was living long term in Thailand..

each winter my parents  came usually for a 3 months stay always in their own rented condo 30k monthly and there own rented car!

my brother and his wife and 2 kids came about once every 2 years.. lots overseas Friends and ex coworkers came visiting each year all of them booked their own accommodations and rental cars and spending lots of money..

Soon as i was forced to relocate mainly due too complicated visas extensions then this wiped out my visitors going here as well!

1 hour ago, brakar said:

I don't know if I'm a typical tourist, but I like to travel around Thailand and have so far visited over 30 provinces. I visit most attractions in the provinces (don't worry about dual pricing) Each trip to Thailand lasts approx. 4 weeks and on the last 5 trips I have used 1,256,000 bath which gives approx. 9,000 baths per day (140 days). I always visit Pattaya 4-5 days before I go home. I like the city. I visit some bars where I drink 2-3 beers before returning to the hotel. Pattaya is so much more than beer bars and gogo bars.

You are one very clean person!!

The problem is not the lack of tourists... Because remember the Indians are coming. The problem is Halloween is a western tradition... Indians do not celebrate it. Perhaps Pattaya should start celebrating devali... The Indian festival of light and colour. Thailand know your saviors are Indian and do some research. 

6 hours ago, BestB said:

Even if baht was weaker. Have you seen the prices?

Thailand is known as a cheap holiday destination . 290 baht for a plain T-shirt at the markets is hardly cheap even if baht was weaker but at the levels it’s at now its double the price to most western countries .

220 baht for a drink , 1500 bsht

bsrfines, 1000 baht for a steak. Just a bread roll is up to 25 baht

A night out with a female company can set you back 10000, easily. 

Not if she truly loves her hansom man surely

6 hours ago, BestB said:

Sophon and operators know nothing . As according to TAT and some Thai visa experts not only tourist numbers have rebounded but there is even an increase on last year????????

It is the short  term tourists that are accounting for an increase in arrivals, People who stay between 7 or 9 days. The shorter their flights the less time they will stay. 
Pattaya was largely built around tourists staying 2-3 weeks minimum. 

They're obviously going to have to introduce a serious new crime called "lese tourisme". Anybody saying bad things about the official tourist numbers (up 10% month on month, every month, of course) will face immediate arrest and 20 years in the monkey house without trial. That'll fix things for sure.

27 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

i was forced to relocate mainly due too complicated visas extensions

Have the right papers and copies, 10 minutes in/out IO with the extension ????

But yes, sometimes life can be complicated for someone. 

1 minute ago, Beggar said:
9 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i rather enjoyed halloween in pattaya. a high % of gogo girls masquerading as obese western women.  

You are sure that you didn't see some older Russian female tourists? 

the inference is a high % of gogo dancers are overweight

7 hours ago, BestB said:

Even if baht was weaker. Have you seen the prices?

Thailand is known as a cheap holiday destination . 290 baht for a plain T-shirt at the markets is hardly cheap even if baht was weaker but at the levels it’s at now its double the price to most western countries .

220 baht for a drink , 1500 bsht

bsrfines, 1000 baht for a steak. Just a bread roll is up to 25 baht

A night out with a female company can set you back 10000, easily. 

If you cant get a beer for under 100 baht in pattaya then you must be buying from the bar at the Hilton. 

As for bar fines??? That any self respecting man would bleat about the cost of a prostitute speaks volumes....but am I surprised?

Dont tell me it is cheaper in good old back home?

3 hours ago, madmen said:

How have "officials" slaughtered the average 5 day tourists? People come here to party and not to study the political landscape

There are 5 of us that dont agree with you and found other places to visit.

The big tell for Pattaya will be the snowbirds and if they come back this year.

Tourism can be up and Phuket and Pattaya be ghost towns.  It just means that Thailand is getting a different type of tourist that goes to CM or stays in the BKK area with a trip for a day or 2 to Pattaya.

Lets face it there really is not a hell of a lot to do in Pattaya if you are not a drinker or looking for a happy night.

Personally I wish there was.

This high speed train they are talking about will further hurt Pattaya hotels as people will be able to do the day trip to Pats see the sights walk on the beach and then go home at night.

If you look at the places that tourists used to go to most of them are dying or in some cases died.  

Pantip mall dead and reborn as something totally different

Patpong dying just does not know yet that it is except for a couple of clubs that have revamped and some upper scale restaurants

Nana is going through a bit of a change but there are also businesses that do not cater to the nightlife that keep it going.

Lets face it there was a time and a place for these places and just like everything else you either evolve or you die.  Patpong and walking street have not evolved adn they are dying.  

Pattaya has too many bars to many spas and too many places to get a girl.  Going to walking street where the prices are high and the quality is so so is no longer a treat. 

2 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

Genuine tourist have no problem getting in. None at all. 

Not true. I am a genuine tourist and was refused because only allowed 2 land border xings in a year.

I went in january and april for about 4 days each time. Tried to go 1 september and refused.

Im sure the 3 xings a year rule was not meant to stop people like me but it did. My fault for not knowing that rule but it put me off even flying in, add that to the high baht and junta rule and i will wait until things improve and feel wanted.

27 minutes ago, Truthhurts said:

If you cant get a beer for under 100 baht in pattaya then you must be buying from the bar at the Hilton. 

As for bar fines??? That any self respecting man would bleat about the cost of a prostitute speaks volumes....but am I surprised?

Dont tell me it is cheaper in good old back home?

Of course you can get a beer under 100, 7-11 or family mart would welcome you, even have AC totally free, absolute bargain. Also plenty of skanks on beach road who would be more than happy to join you in 7-11.

and yes it’s cheaper to have a <deleted> back home, and not only she has regular checks but you also go to her place to leave stains 

but as you seem to be self respecting man, 7–11 and beach road shanks Is the way????

1 hour ago, smedly said:

you are talking rubbish, max spend is sub 20k a week, in fact some of them are not coming as often because it cost so much, as already mentioned on this thread - Thailand ain't cheap any more - there are no more 2 week millionaires, guys are coming here and being thrifty many complaining about how expensive it is and the price gouging everywhere - Thailand needs to waken up and smell the cheese, only reason many come here at all is because they know people living here - go figure

Don't forget 1000GBP hardly gets much more than 35k baht, add in hotel room and flights and you're looking at a 2-3 week holiday costing 3-4000 GBP - you think that is cheap ???????? - I don't and neither do they and they are not spending anything like that  

How is it rubbish when MASTERCARD confirms the stats!  Those stats confirm the average stay is 4.8 days so NO they are not just passing through airports unless they are sleeping there 4.8 nights. avg spend is 6000 baht per day. 

Back up your BS with a link and not just anecdotal garbage

6 hours ago, BestB said:

I have no doubt drinking and  eating at 7-11 is a lot cheaper and for some it is the only RIGHT place 

Currently I am on Beach Rd in Lovely Corner having a 65 baht beer. 10,000/65 = 154 so thats about right ???? ???? ????

3 minutes ago, the guest said:

Thailand has had its day. All the rip-off's and scams have taken its toll on the number of tourists. Why am I not surprised ?

Nothing to do with scams or rip offs , all to do with high prices and crappy exchange rates 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh, nothing to do with the fact that Pattaya is horrible now!

In the 90s Pattaya was cheap and cheerful. Bars were full, hotels were full, BGs were happy, farangs were happy.

Since then-

traffic is awful

accommodation is too expensive

the barbeers are decrepit and boring, and the BGs care more about their phones that the hansum men passing by

the council

destroyed the walkway

built a sewage plant next to Walking Street entrance

built the decrepit marina

destroyed Bali Hi park to build the monstrous car park building

allowed the horrid building in front of the lookout

allowed boats to destroy the walkway to the lighthouse

pandered to the Chinese hordes instead of their traditional base.

allowed the beach to be washed away

can't solve flooding

do nothing to repair the infrastructure

allow unrestricted construction of hotels in inappropriate places.

Despite it being entirely their own fault the place is losing customers, they will never admit it and will blame anything else.

I used to love Pattaya, but the last time I visited, I didn't care that I was leaving it.

Cheer up mate. Pattaya is great. You gotta smile more and whinge less ????????????

Archived