2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:
2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

:tongue: Living in Pattaya since 2006... :cool:

If you think I am wrong, then you must be living in Soi Buakhao

and never put a foot outside of it. :wink:

So are you saying beach road is full?

I see all the chairs empty on a daily basis since months

and the malls? they do good only on week end when the Thais go

inside for eating, but hey have you go in one of them in a week day?

Even the new T21 is empty (And the others one are dying)

what are exactly the ''tourists place'' full and busy you are talking about?

Are you near a chinese restaurant or something like that?

So living in Pattaya since 2006 and still unable to name only one

of the famous tourists places busy at the moment in the city? mmm

And for your information i do not live in Soi Bukkaho

i have stayed 1 year in Pratamnak and now since 1 year in Pattaya Klang

near Sukkumvit and i hang everywhere around Pattaya everyday so you must

put some foot outside yourself before posting assertions based on nothing

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, petermik said:

"one operator blamed the world economy" yes everything and anything but the facts....the baht is way too strong and tourists are not really that welcome anymore...."leave your cash in the skips provided at immigration points and exit the country as quickly as possible please" :whistling:

Exactly !  And stop the Tourist Scams where they just rip you off for drinks you did not have or imposing way to steep pricing. Thailand Land of the Smiles is losing its smile in a rapid manner. Sometimes i think they just want this to happen. They rather have people from China and India nowadays. Please just say so and stop mistreating Farangs. A long time their money was ok. Now Thailand is doing much better they despise them and they don't want them or their money anymore?

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

I thought we were all "tourists" ?  Never met a foreigner with Permanent residency.

The Bodega Bar on Sai Song was nearly full at 10pm. 

Talked to a guy from Liverpool who was on holiday, been here many times.

All seemed to be having a good time

Great bar and always busy. 55bht beers in happy hour

4 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Oh you poor lost soul. You must be an old photographer walking around looking for negatives. Cheer up and have a beer mate

So you mean like seeing glass half full

instead of half empty?

so Pattaya is not dead but partially dead?

8 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

i dont know what articles these people are reading but i read tourism is up year on year..

Just waiting for the lottery and ill be oit of here ????????

Which lottery - does Thai lottery actually pay out to farang ??????

9 minutes ago, BestB said:

So you mean like seeing glass half full

instead of half empty?

so Pattaya is not dead but partially dead?

Ha ha maybe

The optimist will say that the glass is half-full.

The pessimist will say that the glass is half-empty.

The engineer will say that the glass is 2 times bigger than it needs to be.

The politician will say that the glass would be more empty if the opposition were in charge.

The project manager will say that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

The fanatic will say that the glass is full, even though it isn't.

The IT support person will say that you should try emptying the glass and then refilling it.

8 hours ago, BestB said:

Even if baht was weaker. Have you seen the prices?

Thailand is known as a cheap holiday destination . 290 baht for a plain T-shirt at the markets is hardly cheap even if baht was weaker but at the levels it’s at now its double the price to most western countries .

220 baht for a drink , 1500 bsht

bsrfines, 1000 baht for a steak. Just a bread roll is up to 25 baht

A night out with a female company can set you back 10000, easily. 

Clearly we dont go out same places. Your prices are ridiculous. 

Cordon bleau 130bht

Wienerschnitsel 100bht

Big fish for 2 persons 150bht

Breakfast 80bht

Beer 55bht

Girls 500-1500bht

Barfine 300bht

Think you mixed it up with Phuket. Pattaya is this

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

I pay 30 baht for a hot cappuccino, beans freshly ground and made in an espresso machine, by a thai lady at the Avenue Mall (1 USD) 

Yes Starbucks is like 160 baht, but never go there.

I live on $1250 USD a month, not a week?  That includes food, beer, and utilities. (own condo)

(not including female companionship)

What foods are you eating and where? 

Yes many rip-off restaurants in Pattaya, but also many good restaurants at decent prices (Italian especially) 

Remember you need to keep your intake under 2000 calories a day if you are over 60 ! 

Chok dee kaap

Lol, I forgot to mention, family of 6, four domestic week holidays, Hua Hin, Pattaya, Chang Mai and Phuket, plus a return trip to Sydney, and it's an all inclusive cost to live, schools fees, uniforms, private health cover etc etc etc.

I like my imported foods I have to admit, do eat clean, wife cooks a lot and keep the calories riding at about 1,500 a day, lean is the way to go.

Single on $1,250USD a month, living nicely.

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Pattaya Halloween: The only scary thing was the complete lack of tourists

Hows that possible the TAT says  and can prove it with their Fudged Numbers that the touristry is Booming.                     ????

I’m in huahin spending $300 this weekend with my gf lol. <- the kind of people they tried to kick multiple times yet I spend 3000 a month here in Thailand For the past 3 years. Once elite visa finishes I’m probably out as well. 

12 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Hows that possible the TAT says  and can prove it with their Fudged Numbers that the touristry is Booming.                     ????

It has to be fake photos and videos because even BKK6060 tells us how busy it is in Soi Bukaw bars and restaurants each and every day !

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

It has to be fake photos and videos because even BKK6060 tells us how busy it is in Soi Bukaw bars and restaurants each and every day !

Yeah I can confirm here at hua hin beach in morning it was half empty also compared to past years. Then again most people don’t wake up before 11 am and rn it’s low season. 

I used to come to Thailand several times a year for four weeks each visit...cos I could and cos I enjoyed it. But then i got tired of the rudeness and fear of being denied entry...”why you come thailand...what you do”...blah blah blah. 

So I got a non O visa based on retirement. This I discovered involved a riduculous amount of time for extensions, literally two or three full days to get the paperwork ready, go to my bank, go to CW, sit there all day, get rejected cos a comma was in the wrong place, have to repeat it all.

Then they added the TM30 plus drawing maps and next year there will be almost impossible to comply with paperwork requirements from my bank as the bank produced paperwork will have to be from the very same day as the day at immigration not the day before. 

And deal with the rudeness and the nastiness of immigration. And its getting worse.

So whats next...next is not coming back. And Im obviously not alone.

Most of the Westerners I used to meet were repeat visitors, often several times a year, often for quite long stays. Why...cos they could, cos they enjoyed it. Full stop.

Is it any suprise numbers are plunging when the government and immigration appear to be doing everything they can think of to make it impossible to come?

HaHa as dead as the dodo exactly as many farangs have said and no one there and TAT saying its a record amount coming in to thailand ask the owners of the bars and restos in pattaya and phuket . The new year and after that will be interesting to see how their tourism is but i have spent a lot of money there in my past, 5 times a year for 20 years and now people not welcome . so now i have been going to vietnam and philippine beaches now fab clean and im welcome there more places than unwelcoming thailand .

I really hope the gov read those post    because everything in Thailand is really wrong.. wring wrong. Yes vietnam is great.. Philippines is great too. Am there now. And  I visa hell .forms and <deleted> like that....

That's great news. Foreigners finally realize they're not welcome in Thailand - wait, that their money only is welcome. Too much double- and triple-pricing, a society developing backwards and, yes, living costs higher than in the West. Of course hotels are comparably cheap, yet that's just a matter of oversupply. Hardly any hotel makes money.

8 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

I have been told that I am being very negative (other posts) about Thailand and the Baht, but I am certain that I am right, and this post is just another of many examples of what is actually hapenning in Thailand.  The economy is in big trouble, but the 'echo chamber' of the Thai leaders in Bangkok (Junta et al) cannot and will not 'see' it (and some TV posters).

Unless they take drastic actions to decrease the Baht, the world economy will take action itself - and it will be big and ugly.  Maybe not as big as in the 1990s  - but it is going to be bad if they dont take action soon.   This is Thailand's net external debt - I will not bother showing charts about how muchg the Baht has increased against ALL foeign currencies - but of note is that those graphs look very similar to this one below.  

It is unsustainable - and a correction is inevitable and is coming.  But being the optimist that I actually am, I can see the Junta being thrown out after the correction happens, and a pro-Business and Pro-USA Govt taking their place.  And amongst all the changes that new Govt will make, I reckon the attitude towards Expats will eventually return to what is what in the past - we are good for the economy - please stay/come back. 

thailand-external-debt.png

You have not got a clue what you are talking about.

43 minutes ago, sead said:

Cordon bleau 130bht

Wienerschnitsel 100bht

Breakfast 80bht

Beer 55bht

Girls 500-1500bht

Barfine 300bht

You most certainly right , we do not go to same places . Places I go have lights and ac and women are alive and do not resemble beat up baby hippo

7 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

95% of the video is in Soi Buakhao. When will media understand that tourists don't visit Soi Buakhao…! Their area is mainly Beach Rd/Second Rd and Walking Street.

BTW you can see many tourists on Walking Street at the very short sequence on WS at 00:45.

Edit: I agree that bars in Soi Buakhao area must struggle. They target mainly cheap Charlie's farangs and old retirees, and these 2 categories seem to have serious budget problems nowadays.

But if you look at malls and tourists' areas, seems to me that Pattaya as a whole is doing well with tourism. :cool:

Good post.  The tourists are all in the areas you mentioned, as well as Naklua.  Big, new hotels have been going in, too, as well as smaller boutique hotels such as LK Emerald Beach.  Siam@Siam, Mytt, Grand Palazzo, Centre Point, Brighton, Holiday Inn addition, the just finished Amari addition, and the about to be done Ozo.  Centre Point 2 about to start construction. They're building where the new tourists are.   Just as an aside, the big tourist numbers these days are Chinese and Indian--I doubt Halloween means much to them.

32 minutes ago, Drax said:

Yeah I can confirm here at hua hin beach in morning it was half empty also compared to past years. Then again most people don’t wake up before 11 am and rn it’s low season. 

Oh now according to u November is low season??

Seems u never even been in Thailand.

7 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Well You are Eating & Drinking in The WRONG Places........10,000 Baht for a night out, That is Bulls*it !!

It's not BS of course you can go to a bar and drink a few beers shoot some pool have a snack and have change from 1k.

Have a night out and do what Pattaya is famous for by visiting a few gogo's on walking street having a drink and buying a lady drink in each one, generally having a ball barfining and having a girl long time I would like to see change from 10k.

Please don't tell me I can do it cheaper I know I can have a few beers from a 7-11 and a girl from the beach bar.

Also there is a difference between Thailand and Pattaya one may be struggling but the other doing alright.

I read that the Indian airline IndiGo has put in a order 300! Airbus A320s.Where are they going to fly to.

1 hour ago, sead said:

Cordon bleau 130bht

Wienerschnitsel 100bht

Breakfast 80bht

Beer 55bht

Girls 500-1500bht

Barfine 300bht

Hard to find those dishes at those prices in Pattaya, you may be quoting the absolute cheapest places, not the usual price. Beer for 55 baht? Must be a small bottle, not a good price. Barfine 300 baht? Where is that? Girls from 500 baht? They must look like the back end of a bus, and a very heavy bus at that.

Somehow I think you haven't been to Pattaya for about 20 years.

5 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Your reasoning is flawed. An average visitor staying one year will not spend anything near what a 26 visitors staying for two weeks will spend over the one year period. Notice I say average.

Your second group, in the overall picture of tourism, isn't to the level of importance you are putting them at. IMO important yes, but they, overtime, learn to spend their money sensibly. 

I don't know about that.how many tourists buy houses,land,gold,cars scooters businesses,fix up mamas house and some even repeat that 2-3 times.its not just the 40-65,000 a month most bring to Thailand monthly.

remember it's better to have a little bit of something rather than a whole lot of nothing.most of us are the social security system for Thailand.

I am right now on Ko Chang. No signs of a high season yet. One upside is that it might still be possible to book a good hotel in a venue like this well into December. More expensive on the whole but hotel rates 20% cheaper?

Archived