Is there any way to extend the life of an AIS time-limited SIM ?

Saghalien

I have internet banking with KTB. Also I have two teenage children in Isaan who I support while they go through college.

My son and daughter also have KTB accounts and it used to be very simple for me to transfer money to them. Now as an extra measure of security, KTB starting making OTP (one time password) mandatory every time you send money. [ The bank has your mobile number, when you press "transfer" on KTB website they send you a 6 digit code to your mobile which you enter into their web-page to allow the money transfer to procede ].

Now the problem is I now live in the Philippines. I have a Thai SIM from AIS which I drop into my phone when I want to do any bank transfers in Thailand. I was looking at my computer calendar recently and saw "AIS SIM validity expires" on the 9th of next month [ December ]. I guess the SIM (which I bought in Thailand of course) was one of these time-limited tourist SIMS. Does anybody know of any way that I can extend my SIM's life ?

I could get my son in Udorn to buy me a new SIM and sent it out to me. I think for that to work I would have to send my KTB bank card to him and he would have to go to a KTB ATM and update my registered phone number. The problem with this is that many things can go wrong ... the Philippine postal system is not the best.

I really don't want to make a trip to Thailand just to buy a new SIM and sort out this problem. Has anybody got any suggestions ?

He can simply collect 10 + 2 baht coins and then pop them in one of the Boontherm machines outside 7-11/Family Mart.

Each 12 baht combo will add 30 days validity. He should be able to extend it up to a year that way and continue to do so indefinitely.

I think that you may also be able to add credit to your AIS account via your KTB application.

i'm sure there are varied ways to do so. But there might be a minimum top up amount. Perhaps 50 baht. so you spend up to 600 baht for a year of validity. Though of course the 600 baht will remain as credit.

https://topup.ais.co.th/topup-fe/topup?lang=en

24 minutes ago, JamJar said:

I think that you may also be able to add credit to your AIS account via your KTB application.

i'm sure there are varied ways to do so. But there might be a minimum top up amount. Perhaps 50 baht. so you spend up to 600 baht for a year of validity. Though of course the 600 baht will remain as credit.

https://topup.ais.co.th/topup-fe/topup?lang=en

Every 20bht top-up in the machines buys you 1 month extra validity.

I just put 20bht notes 1 transaction at a time in the machine outside the AIS shop.

Takes a bit of time for 12 separate top-ups, but it's the cheapest way.

OP, get your kids to do it for you.

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Every 20bht top-up in the machines buys you 1 month extra validity.

I just put 20bht notes 1 transaction at a time in the machine outside the AIS shop.

Takes a bit of time for 12 separate top-ups, but it's the cheapest way.

OP, get your kids to do it for you.

Will be 20 baht + 2 baht in the Boontherm type of machine. In that case it is better to use 10 coins, instead of 20 baht notes. Especially if he doesn't intend to use the credit.

AIS machines won't be easily found. Boontherm are everywhere.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Outside every AIS shop, one in every Tesco, BigC, and shopping Mall.

Yes, but how many AIS shops are there in comparison to Boontherm machines outside 7-11/Family Mart?

Plus it is cheaper to use the Boontherm machine.

So if there an AIS machine is close proximity, great. But cheaper and easier to find and use a Boontherm;

88_boonterm_front01.jpg

1 hour ago, Saghalien said:

Hi. This is the OP here. I got my son to put 20 Baht in a AIS machine and I got a month extra. So it looks like I don't need to fly over to sort everything out. Thanks to all for the advice .

Why not get the validity maxxed out to the whole year, so that you don't have to remember to do it every month?

Archived