From Hat Yai to Padang Besar by train

totoshka

The shuttle leaves from Hat Yai Station, in the middle of town (7.003861, 100.46771). Cost is just Bht 50 and it takes 55 minutes. There are two shuttle trains Train No.947 departing at 07:30 and Train No.949 14:05. There are only 3rd class coaches with fans, no a/c coaches on the shuttle train.

14 hours ago, Stocky said:

The shuttle leaves from Hat Yai Station, in the middle of town (7.003861, 100.46771). Cost is just Bht 50 and it takes 55 minutes. There are two shuttle trains Train No.947 departing at 07:30 and Train No.949 14:05. There are only 3rd class coaches with fans, no a/c coaches on the shuttle train.

Yes, twice a day for the cheap shuttle train.

Hat Yai 07.30 14.05
Padang Besar 08.25 (09.25 Malaysian time) 15.00 (16.00 Malaysian time)

There is one more train #45. Leaves Hat Yai around 07:50 (might be running late).  What used to be the international express from Bangkok that terminates in padang besar.

And someone mentioned the minibus from the bus station to Padang Besar; about every hour or when full; first one is 06:00 (get there at 05:00-05:30 latest and stand/watch the line; people will be clever about the queue as the first van fills up quickly).  The booth numbers have been renovated, and the ticket prices are clearly posted. 50 or 60 baht.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, Stocky said:

Not on it long enough to bother with AC and at 7:30 in the morning its cool .l take it every 3 months. There is also a train from BKk direct to Padang Besar immigration. I don't  catch it to Padang but l do on the way back to BKK. I catch the 171 to Hat Yai. Hat Yai - Padang Besar immigration platform three 50 Baht.

Edited by Percy P

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 12:08 AM, totoshka said:

If I've deliberitely said "NOT BY MINIBUS", why would I want to hear information about it?

Because you're not the only one reading these answers.  Information from these threads may benefit people years into the future.  That's why they implemented the search function.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 5:38 AM, phuketsub said:

And at the risk of adding insult to injury, I would add that for anyone trying to get to Pedang Besar for Immigration purposes, another option is the border crossing at Sadao, which also has minibuses as well as bus service (last time I checked). The two are about equidistant from Hat Yai.

It used to be that Padang was a sleepy, relaxed visa hop .. I don’t think that’s true anymore. Too many bad reports from the superintendent, I think the duty-free is ok, and it makes for a nice bit of exercise to do the walk, but for onwards travel in or out of West coast Malaysia, Sadao is a much faster border especially now they have built the new building, if you are driving or riding, you can process your passport at the booth, no need to join the queues of tourists.

11 hours ago, recom273 said:

if you are driving or riding, you can process your passport at the booth, no need to join the queues of tourists.

Is that right! Taxi to Alor Setar last year, the driver said I couldn't use the booth and had to go to the new main building, which was heaving with bus passengers, he waited for me the other side.  

4 hours ago, Stocky said:

Is that right! Taxi to Alor Setar last year, the driver said I couldn't use the booth and had to go to the new main building, which was heaving with bus passengers, he waited for me the other side.  

When the new booths opened I just rode the loop pulled up behind a pickup, thai wife and myself, jumped off just threw the passports in and got stamped out. This was at 6.00 am, if it makes any odds. Still the immigration was rammed with coach parties.

Rode out via Betong, down through Perak the following year, and back through Sadao, stamped back in at the old roadside booths - maybe it’s a bit different now.

I try to do things by the book with the bike, there are papers that need stamping, it’s just as easy to stamp the passports at the same time. Whereas maybe the taxi driver probably just drove straight through without stopping to do his paperwork. Thai immigration don’t seem to care about Thai drivers.

1 minute ago, recom273 said:

Thai immigration don’t seem to care about Thai drivers.

Malaysia too actually last trip I made. I think taxis that make the crossing frequently just get a stamp for appearance sake now and again. But at least you stay in the vehicle on the Malaysian side, last trip they only checked my passport the taxi driver got a bye.