2nd UK Visit Visa

My Thai wife and I returned from her first visit to the UK recently and it was one of the best holidays I've ever had the pleasure of going on and we would like to go back for Christmas and New year and spend about 2 months there.

However the previous visit visa was supported by the fact my wife owns a mortgaged property in Bangkok and that we both work at our home based business in Bangkok however we have recently closed that business after returning from our UK holiday and we now want to spend time in the UK with family over there before considering the possibility of starting a new job or business in Thailand. We closed the business for various reasons mainly the profitability was no longer worth the time and effort.

I also own a limited company in the UK that pays taxes and Nic and pays me a small salary also and I also own property that I rent out. My questions to anyone with experience is what do you think our chances are of obtaining a second visitor visa so close to the first one (within 2 months of returning) and after we have closed the business and that my wife and I no longer have 'jobs' at that business in Thailand?

Will the fact my wife has property in Thailand be enough to convince the UK immigration that we will be returning to Thailand?

Incidentally we want to be spending more and more time in the UK with a view of applying for a spouse visa some time next year once my wife passes her English test in the UK as it is meant to be slightly easier to pass over there so I've read on this forum (another reason to visit the UK as she can do the test whilst we are there and work towards residency).

Any experience shared or advice would be appreciated, what do you reckon our chances are of obtaining the Visit Visa please?

She's had a visit visa before. It's a shame your circumstances have changed quite so much. She will probably get it. Make sure you explain that you intend going for settlement for the next visa. Getting another visa so close to the first is not an issue. My wife had two visit visas that overlapped. The criteria are still the same. Prove your relationship. Show you have enough funds to pay for the trip and give reasons to return. When does her current visa expire?

Probably the most important question this stage is how long did she stay in the UK last time ?

There is a possible inconsistency in your post, when you say that you a will be looking for a new business to open in Thailand next year, and then you say that you will be applying for settlement in the UK next year. 

13 hours ago, puchooay said:

UK visitor visas are multi entry and last for six months. Do you not have enough time on the existing visa?

That was my first thought when I read the cost. We need some answers from the OP to be able to help much.

22 minutes ago, rasg said:

That was my first thought when I read the cost. We need some answers from the OP to be able to help much.

There is nothing more frustrating when an OP asks for advice, gets good feedback and follow up questions and then does not post a follow up. Come on OP @NightSky

6 hours ago, jimn said:

There is nothing more frustrating when an OP asks for advice, gets good feedback and follow up questions and then does not post a follow up. Come on OP @NightSky

@jimn

Thanks for all the replies.

@puchooay

@rasg

I've just realized now that I have my wife's passport available to see, indeed I see that the Visa is a 'Multi C Visit Visa' valid until February 2020.

So I guess its a multi entry visa then, although it does have an entry stamp on the Visa issued at the UK airport already.

We spent about 30 days in the UK previously which was longer than the 3 weeks I mentioned on the application. The extra week was due to the British Airways strikes and that we decided to stay on an extra week. However we didnt mention anything on the application about going twice and staying longer.

@Tony M

I am here to reply and grateful for all replies thank you to all who has replied. Regarding possible inconsistency in my post I was careful to write 'before considering the possibility of starting a new job or business in Thailand', that's if we need to although we are planning to apply for a spouse Visa. If the visa is declined of course we would then need to remain in Thailand and find something to do. Its just keeping our options open due to uncertainties.

So, the existing Visa is still valid until end of February 2020 although because we didn't mention going twice on the visa application I assume that wouldn't look too good when we go through immigration or when we apply for a visa in future? 

Also then does it mean my wife can go back as long as she leaves before the expiry date on the Visa?

Thanks for clarifying. NO problem at all using the visa to come back to the UK. A nice "bonus" saving the cost of another visa and schlepping back and forth to Bangkok .

When your wife next applies for a visa, explain about the BA strike and also the second entry for Christmas. If her next visa is a spouse visa she will no longer need a reason to return as she will be coming to live here. Book her in for an A1 test while she is in the UK. If her English is better than A1, consider A2 or B1 which will save £150 or more. B1 is currently enough to get through to ILR without having to take another test.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trinity+college+a1+test

11 hours ago, NightSky said:

Also then does it mean my wife can go back as long as she leaves before the expiry date on the Visa?

Yes correct. As advised explain your change in travel plans on any future application. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks @rasg and everyone else who replied. This is all new to me so this is very useful information, I appreciated it thank you.

Ok we are going to go for it then and book a second trip since my family in the UK invited us back for Christmas and New Year.

Does that mean we have to leave the UK before the Visa expires or is that date on the visa just to show she must enter before the visa expires?

I remember when we entered the first time the immigration official was friendly but stern when asking quick fire questions about what I do for a living etc.

if I get asked those same questions again I guess I would need to explain I just closed my company in Thailand and I have a UK company also and that we have been invited back for Christmas and new Year. I guess that might trigger further questioning?

I wouldn't want to have to sit and be questioning is a back room for an hour. Ah well we have nothing to hide only our story is maybe not straight forward.

17 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Does that mean we have to leave the UK before the Visa expires or is that date on the visa just to show she must enter before the visa expires?

I remember when we entered the first time the immigration official was friendly but stern when asking quick fire questions about what I do for a living etc.

Your wife will need to leave the UK on or before the date printed on her visa.

As for the quick fire questions by the Border Force Officer, don’t be intimidated just answer at your own pace, I wouldn’t elaborate about possible plans for the future, just enjoy Christmas, and the weather.

4 hours ago, NightSky said:

Thanks @rasg and everyone else who replied. This is all new to me so this is very useful information, I appreciated it thank you.

Ok we are going to go for it then and book a second trip since my family in the UK invited us back for Christmas and New Year.

if I get asked those same questions again I guess I would need to explain I just closed my company in Thailand and I have a UK company also and that we have been invited back for Christmas and new Year. I guess that might trigger further questioning?

I wouldn't want to have to sit and be questioning is a back room for an hour. Ah well we have nothing to hide only our story is maybe not straight forward.

Yes your wife has to leave before her visa expires. I very much doubt that you will be asked anything other then usual questions about the visit. Just tell the truth. Make sure you print out a copy of her return flight and maybe just some proof of finances but chances are you wont need it. Another tip is for both of you to come through together in the European passport line. As your wife she can come in that lane with you. My wife has had 3 one visit visas and now a 5 year visa. We travel back to the UK together, we stay for nearly 5 months and never had any issues. 

8 hours ago, NightSky said:

Your wife has to leave before it expires. My wife flew back to Thailand on the very last day of her visa. It wasn't a problem.

Archived