Thai airports: International tourism taking off, domestic still on the runway

rooster59

Thai airports: International tourism taking off, domestic still on the runway

1572597699840-960x0.jpg

Image: TNA

Yearly reports from the Airports of Thailand (AOT) indicate a rise in airport use for international passengers but a drop for the domestic market.

Figures for the twelve month period from October 2018 to September this year relate to passengers passing through the country's six main international airports: Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat Yai and Mae Fa Luang in Chiang Rai.

Senior executive of the AOT Nitinai Sirisamatkarn said that 141 million passengers passed through the six airports an increase of 1.69% on the previous year. 

There were 84 million international passengers representing an increase of 4.42%.

But domestic passengers were 57 million - 2.05% less than 2017-2018. 

The number of flights was 896,000 that meant a 2.41% increase overall. 

Of these 492,000 were international (up 6.44%) and 404,000 domestic (down 2.10%). 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-02

8 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Im confused... An increase of international passengers transfering to other countries through Thailand? why not say it like that...

Because they want you to believe everything is rosie in the garden,  never admit to the truth,. 

This is just an incomplete summary of a Thai article. The Thai article notes that Chinese tourists are still the main foreigners traveling in and out of most Thai airports, followed by Indians, South Koreans and Japanese. It also notes a decline in Chinese tourists over the past 12 months. The decline in Chinese tourists is attributed to several factors, such as the slowdown of the Chinese economy, changing Chinese travel patterns and the strong Thai baht. Meanwhile, Indian tourists have increased over the past 12 moths, which is attributed to the recent granting of visa on arrival to Indian tourists.

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

They go out of their way to not mention the word 'arrivals'.

A Riddle.

I fly from Utapao to BBK to Hanoi or somewhere, I fly back to  BKK and fly straight to ChiangMai and then fly to HatYai and then back to BKK and then Utapao.

How many tourists am I?

32 minutes ago, overherebc said:

A Riddle.

I fly from Utapao to BBK to Hanoi or somewhere, I fly back to  BKK and fly straight to ChiangMai and then fly to HatYai and then back to BKK and then Utapao.

How many tourists am I?

1 Americian, 2 Vietnamese, 17 Chinese and 67 Indians

A trip last week, Survanbhumi leaving was quite and through immigration with 4 or 5 people in front on me. Returning, the place was a morgue at 9.30 pm...only one person in queue.....never seen it this quite in ten years...TAT can say whatever they want...seen it with my own eyes that tourists are shunning Thailand with a vengeance.

Sunday morning, 10:00 a.m., short lines at immigration, I was the only one in the priority area. Taxi and bus pick up floor, (2?) was almost deserted except for around the 389 buses to Pattaya and Hua Hin and the cafeteria. Saw only one Chinese tour group during 90 minutes on the second floor. Overall, quieter than I've ever seen it in 13 years.

2 hours ago, 1duckyboy said:

Sunday morning, 10:00 a.m., short lines at immigration, I was the only one in the priority area. Taxi and bus pick up floor, (2?) was almost deserted except for around the 389 buses to Pattaya and Hua Hin and the cafeteria. Saw only one Chinese tour group during 90 minutes on the second floor. Overall, quieter than I've ever seen it in 13 years.

Well done to Immigration for  reducing waiting times as they promised.

Archived