Tenants from Hell! Thai woman posts warning about US man and his Thai girlfriend

rooster59

1 hour ago, daoyai said:

It looks kind of staged, just some dry trash spread on the floor, notice the cabinet doors and walls look clean.... an hour os sweeping would clean this place... I smell a fraud.

obviously staged.  the floor is spotless.  the wee, tiny rug doesn't even have hair stuck in the fibers. 

if the owner named the tenants, they should sue her under thailand's electronic defamation law.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, steven100 said:

exactly,  and if you respect the owners property you will most certainly get your deposit back. 

Problem being if the tenant tries to avoid paying the last month or two and tells you to keep the deposit. 

Have you actually rented in Thailand? Yes there are good landlords but  there are lots of very dad and twisted ones and this was the same in Scotland till they brought in safe deposits for all tenants. I had 2 who trippled the electric bill before I left one was just the same as the deposit (very strange) and one was more than the deposit and I refused and they went to the police with my uncles a general my wife caved and gave him the money without telling me..... 

24 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Have you actually rented in Thailand? Yes there are good landlords but  there are lots of very dad and twisted ones and this was the same in Scotland till they brought in safe deposits for all tenants. I had 2 who trippled the electric bill before I left one was just the same as the deposit (very strange) and one was more than the deposit and I refused and they went to the police with my uncles a general my wife caved and gave him the money without telling me..... 

sorry to hear you had a couple of bad ones. I rented same apartment for 12+ years on Sukhumvit and never had and issue. Cleaned the place before I left, full deposit handed to me... no questions asked so there are good one's but also bad ones.

I had the same problem with my condo in Sukhumvit a young Canadian. He was having parties with bar girls on a regular basis. The curtains were ripped down, the freezer door was ripped off and the carpets and the fabric lounge had stains everywhere. The bathroom had never been cleaned and the new expensive mattress i had to throw out. I refused to give his bond back and he made lots of threats of during my wife until he realised we had before and after photos.

A couple of tenants later same thing with a upper class Thai girl left the aircon on for a year and never opening the window mildew growing over everything curtains carpet the floor and bathroom was never cleaned.

sold it never again

12 hours ago, madmen said:

And this is exactly why 2 months rental is the norm. Ive had a similar experience so any farang demanding less than 2 months i tell them to keep walking

So, we have this Thai media story. 

One sided at that. 

I can't allow myself to trust these stories whilst knowing the culture here and its effect on the ability to lie. 

At a minimum, I need the other side of the story. Minimum 

15 minutes ago, thaipod said:

I had the same problem with my condo in Sukhumvit a young Canadian. He was having parties with bar girls on a regular basis. The curtains were ripped down, the freezer door was ripped off and the carpets and the fabric lounge had stains everywhere. The bathroom had never been cleaned and the new expensive mattress i had to throw out. I refused to give his bond back and he made lots of threats of during my wife until he realised we had before and after photos.

A couple of tenants later same thing with a upper class Thai girl left the aircon on for a year and never opening the window mildew growing over everything curtains carpet the floor and bathroom was never cleaned.

sold it never again

"a upper class Thai girl"... "and bathroom was never cleaned."

and this is truly an UPPER CLASS woman??? God forbid what a lower class woman/man would do to a rental. No wonder so many have house cleaners. 

my gut feeling says there was a little trash and then, for the camera, it because an absolute shthole.  i have a feeling the tenants are not saints and there is some equal blame here.  but i find it impossible to believe this picture.  if super nasty, usually marks on the walls, floors, stuff broken, total disrespect.  not stuff laid out all out over the floors.

but it's because we've seen this stuff before.  question everything.  

23 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

"a upper class Thai girl"... "and bathroom was never cleaned."

and this is truly an UPPER CLASS woman??? God forbid what a lower class woman/man would do to a rental. No wonder so many have house cleaners. 

Actually, it's more likely a lower class woman will be neat and tidy.

I keep my condo quite clean. First thing my GF does when she comes is clean it all over again. Yes, she is not hiso.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Actually, it's more likely a lower class woman will be neat and tidy.

I keep my condo quite clean. First thing my GF does when she comes is clean it all over again. Yes, she is not hiso.

Very true from my experience also.

The less hiso ones are much cleaner.  Showers and cleaning the house.

Hiso tend to be lazy.  Not cooking much and hire a house cleaner.

She said the man was a US passport holder and she named him along with the nickname of his Thai girlfriend. She was concerned that someone else would rent to them. 

I thought you're not allowed to say anything bad against anyone in Thailand, especially posting online. Guess she could be in for a defamation lawsuit against her.

30 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Very true from my experience also.

The less hiso ones are much cleaner.  Showers and cleaning the house.

Hiso tend to be lazy.  Not cooking much and hire a house cleaner.

Sorry but can you explain HISO? Not sure what that means. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

You have misinterpreted my post. 

I am not disparaging all Thais.

Of course there are bad people in any group and of course there are bad foreign tenants. 

With this story, however, we have only one side of the story, with a Thai media that NEVER asks any questions or does any investigative journalism. 

We also have a country where it is the norm to trade not necessarily on truth but rather on power. And Farangs have none, as has been proven so many times. 

It is, for example, highly unlikely that if the tenants had been local people who were connected, this story would ever have been reported. The weak here are exploited, and that regularly includes foreigners. 

If you cant accept that, I don't know what to say. 

If you dont mean all Thais then why call it a cultural thing. That means all Thais. 

You forget one thing, you dont read Thai or Thai newspapers. Its only logical that things concerning foreigners end up in English newspapers and things concerning Thais in Thai newspapers. So that explains that.

But your right if they were connected the story would not have aired and yes the weak often get exploited but i doubt this is the case here. Just an other slob, its not as if it does not happen.

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its not meant to be political just to show that liars are everywhere and they can't call lying a Thai thing only as its obvious it happens a lot in other countries. I just gave a famous example.

(polite sigh) 

Why must we fall victim to this flawed belief that all societies are exactly the same in every way? It's a ridiculous idea. 

This is getting slightly off topic, but there are PLENTY of studies on propensity to lie or to tell truth and how it varies amongst societies. 

Here is a famous one. 

emss-66919.pdf

Back to the topic

All I am saying is that we need to be smart enough to know that we should view things with critical suspicion. 

Haven't read all previous comments.

The room looks staged to me, either as a deliberate act by the tenants or by the owner. There appears to be bad blood between them and it's a revenge/retaliation type of event intended to inconvenience or embarrass.

14 hours ago, Gumballl said:

The US renter should file a defamation lawsuit against the landlady. I realize the landlady is upset, but the cleanup work has surely been paid for with a security deposit. If not the case, then som na na.

an idiotic attitude to take if I may say so.  Renters have a duty to respect the house they are renting and the person who owns it. This is totally unacceptable behaviour that, unfortunately, is all too common the world over. That is why I for one would never rent out any property that I own. 

Archived