Jump to content
BANGKOK
rooster59

Chaiyaphum: Teen electrocuted while lying down charging her phone

Recommended Posts

Chaiyaphum: Teen electrocuted while lying down charging her phone

 

isaan.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

 

A mother in Chaiyaphum in Thailand's north east was concerned when her 17 year old daughter did not come out of her bedroom to greet her when she returned home from work yesterday evening. 

 

Fearing something was awry Bunpheng, 47, went to check up on her daughter who was in her room under the main part of the house, reported Thai Rath. 

 

She found her lying next to the bed and cradled her in her arms getting the tingling of an electric shock. She rushed to turn off the breaker. 

 

But "B" was already dead. 

 

The Muang district police and rescue services were called. They found the victim's thumb and index finger burned and the teen's phone still plugged in. 

 

It was attached to an extension cord that showed signs that it had been repaired; it was wrapped in lots of duct tape.

 

There were also signs of electrical burning on the metal legs of the bed.

 

Source: Thai Rath

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-02
  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible waste of life.

Once again. Haven't counted this year.

 

56 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

It was attached to an extension cord that showed signs that it had been repaired; it was wrapped in lots of duct tape.

I see it before me...

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could have been one of those suspect Apple chargers, exposed a few years ago, for recalls? Low Current or not... inside can be a nastily built inverter, and decent 'spikes' can be had in them

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

very sad and tragic accident. I suspect the charger was faulty in allowing 220v to the device. No grounding at the power point.

 

RIP B …  you will be missed greatly.  Condolences to the family.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need some kind of government adverts to warn about this.

Happens far too often.

Got to be better than the old windbags waffling ad nauseam on TV

Then again they don't seem to care about all the RTAs so I wouldn't expect they would care about this issue either

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

imagine finding your kid.

 

OMG

 

if you have some extra cash, buy safe products like this and just give it to a random kid.  really, you might be saving their life.  i've done something like this over 50 times already.  few thousand baht, total, maybe.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Terrible waste of life.

Once again. Haven't counted this year.

 

I see it before me...

 

I see it every day on the local Thai markets, laying in puddles of water 😶

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so sad and so avoidable. From on ewho has grown up in a first world country with effective and enforced building and fit-out codes such events are extremely rare in my home country. Sadly for some countries such standards, along with general population unawareness about electrical safety isn't as prominent. RIP young woman. Rest peacefully, my condolences to the family left behind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have said this before but worth repeating the electric cables on the ground at Soi Bukhow market are in a terrible state, as we know its killer electrics here, cables cobbled together with tape, all under foot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Impossible for a 5 volt 2 amp phone charger (industry standard) to deliver a "deadly" shock a human being.  Look up Ohms law.  

Faulty, cheap charger may have allowed the 220 volt house current to "jump" past/through it, nothing to do with the extension cord,  RIP

You should read the article again, especially this part: "It was attached to an extension cord that showed signs that it had been repaired; it was wrapped in lots of duct tape."

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 6:35 PM, rooster59 said:

Teen electrocuted while lying down charging her phone

Tragic loss of life at such a young age, to get to 17 years old and get electrocuted in your own home is simply sad. A circuit breaker would have helped & why repair an extension cord, throw it away & by a new one preferably with a fuse.

R.I.P young lady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2019 at 6:38 AM, OttoPollmann said:

a simple RCCB and proper earthing net could have saved her life even with a butchered extension cord.
Unfortunately, the lack of proper electrical installation regulations has cost again a young life. This will continue until it is mandatory to install a RCCB after the main incoming to monitor all appliance in the house. Furthermore, they must get rid of these 2-core wire connections.
RIP young lady.  

Seems  compulsory with my staff to have extension cords with the cable  clamp missing/broken and the  wires  just floating around , twisting daily until the fracture.

See many builders  here with an "extension lead" and on the other end is no  plug just the bare wires (2 no earth) so they can just poke them into any available socket and off you go. You cant tell em and they dont care, it  wont happen to them etc etc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...