Chaiyaphum: Teen electrocuted while lying down charging her phone

rooster59

Chaiyaphum: Teen electrocuted while lying down charging her phone

isaan.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

A mother in Chaiyaphum in Thailand's north east was concerned when her 17 year old daughter did not come out of her bedroom to greet her when she returned home from work yesterday evening. 

Fearing something was awry Bunpheng, 47, went to check up on her daughter who was in her room under the main part of the house, reported Thai Rath. 

She found her lying next to the bed and cradled her in her arms getting the tingling of an electric shock. She rushed to turn off the breaker. 

But "B" was already dead. 

The Muang district police and rescue services were called. They found the victim's thumb and index finger burned and the teen's phone still plugged in. 

It was attached to an extension cord that showed signs that it had been repaired; it was wrapped in lots of duct tape.

There were also signs of electrical burning on the metal legs of the bed.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-02

Terrible waste of life.

Once again. Haven't counted this year.

56 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

It was attached to an extension cord that showed signs that it had been repaired; it was wrapped in lots of duct tape.

I see it before me...

a simple RCCB and proper earthing net could have saved her life even with a butchered extension cord.
Unfortunately, the lack of proper electrical installation regulations has cost again a young life. This will continue until it is mandatory to install a RCCB after the main incoming to monitor all appliance in the house. Furthermore, they must get rid of these 2-core wire connections.
RIP young lady.  

Impossible for a 5 volt 2 amp phone charger (industry standard) to deliver a "deadly" shock a human being.  Look up Ohms law.  

Faulty, cheap charger may have allowed the 220 volt house current to "jump" past/through it, nothing to do with the extension cord,  RIP

imagine finding your kid.

OMG

if you have some extra cash, buy safe products like this and just give it to a random kid.  really, you might be saving their life.  i've done something like this over 50 times already.  few thousand baht, total, maybe.  

so sad and so avoidable. From on ewho has grown up in a first world country with effective and enforced building and fit-out codes such events are extremely rare in my home country. Sadly for some countries such standards, along with general population unawareness about electrical safety isn't as prominent. RIP young woman. Rest peacefully, my condolences to the family left behind.

11 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Impossible for a 5 volt 2 amp phone charger (industry standard) to deliver a "deadly" shock a human being.  Look up Ohms law.  

Faulty, cheap charger may have allowed the 220 volt house current to "jump" past/through it, nothing to do with the extension cord,  RIP

You should read the article again, especially this part: "It was attached to an extension cord that showed signs that it had been repaired; it was wrapped in lots of duct tape."

On 11/2/2019 at 6:35 PM, rooster59 said:

Teen electrocuted while lying down charging her phone

Tragic loss of life at such a young age, to get to 17 years old and get electrocuted in your own home is simply sad. A circuit breaker would have helped & why repair an extension cord, throw it away & by a new one preferably with a fuse.

R.I.P young lady

On 11/3/2019 at 6:38 AM, OttoPollmann said:

a simple RCCB and proper earthing net could have saved her life even with a butchered extension cord.
Unfortunately, the lack of proper electrical installation regulations has cost again a young life. This will continue until it is mandatory to install a RCCB after the main incoming to monitor all appliance in the house. Furthermore, they must get rid of these 2-core wire connections.
RIP young lady.  

Seems  compulsory with my staff to have extension cords with the cable  clamp missing/broken and the  wires  just floating around , twisting daily until the fracture.

See many builders  here with an "extension lead" and on the other end is no  plug just the bare wires (2 no earth) so they can just poke them into any available socket and off you go. You cant tell em and they dont care, it  wont happen to them etc etc

I remember building my house in Laos many years ago. I built it to Alberta, Canada standard building code. 

The house is grounded. Every plug was grounded.

100 amp service. 

Separate circuit breakers for every room leading to a master panel. An extra circuit breaker for the hot water heater and the oven for additional safety.

Every 8 feet (about 2 meters) there is a plug. Every wall over 1m in length has a plug.  

I remember walking around with my draftsman pencil and measuring tape putting "X's" on the wall and marking where I wanted all the switches.

The electrician and my wife thought I was crazy. I have plugs I've never used. I'v also never used an extension cord. I fired that electrician and found a Lao guy who had trained and worked in the USA. He knew what I was doing and explained it to my wife.

I am regularly amazed walking into some decently upscale Lao houses. A huge living room, 10m X 7m and seeing one lousy plug in a corner and 20m of extension cords snaking across the floor. 

Not at all surprised about the young girl's sad demise. And that is sadder still because it is so profoundly preventable.

On 11/3/2019 at 6:38 AM, OttoPollmann said:

This will continue until it is mandatory to install a RCCB after the main incoming...

It already is for new installations (and it's inspected for before you get a permanent meter) along with 3 pin outlets, a local 2.4m rod and a MEN connection.

Unfortunately it's just new connections, pull down the house and build a new one there's no inspection needed.

Simple RCBOs that would protect small homes are <400 Baht! Sadly, for some workers that's more than a day's pay.

And of course there's the Thai mentality. I installed an RCBO at MiL's place (she has a 5-15 meter), of course after a couple of trips due to damp extension leads and the like it was bypassed as "stupid farang idea".

Handy-dandy PEA infromation Groundwire Mk2 book-Manual.pdf

And the important bit with translations.

Groundwire Mk2 book-Manual-1 diagram.jpg

On 11/3/2019 at 7:07 AM, tifino said:

could have been one of those suspect Apple chargers, exposed a few years ago, for recalls? Low Current or not... inside can be a nastily built inverter, and decent 'spikes' can be had in them

Exactly right. 'cheap' knockoff chargers kill people every year. Very few people grasp the inverter inside is potentially a bridge to the high voltage mains.

I designed such things for years in my previous life and have posted multiple times on TVF about this. I recommended a quality brand, Anker, and was accused of being paid for an indorsement so now I don't bother going into the details.

Parsimony and ignorance can be a lethal combination in many aspects of life from tools to kitchen appliances to personal electronics.

Caveat emptor.

Archived