THAI chairman resigns, hands mantle to vice chairman

rooster59

THAI chairman resigns, hands mantle to vice chairman

By THE NATION

800_57912652aa53582.jpg

Ekniti Nitithanprapas

The chairman of the board of Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI), Ekniti Nitithanprapas has resigned from his position with effect from November 1, 2019, according to a filing made with the Stock Exchange of Thailand yesterday.

The company’s vice chairman, Air Chief Marshal Chaiyapruk Didyasarin, has assumed the duties of the chairman under THAI’s article of association No 24.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378005

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-03

At least his resignation didn't come with one of those 2 standard, "canned", BS lines that so often accompany high level resignations.

A) So that he could spend more time with his family.

B) He wanted to pursue other interests.

Way back in May 2004 I came over on a fact finding trip to see if Thailand was a good choice for my early retirement plans.  My younger brother came over with.  We flew Thai Airways from BKK to Phuket on a 747.  We opted for seats upstairs, usually business class in other airlines.  They gave us seats on the right hand side of the cabin.  After boarding we couldn't help but notice that all the seats on the left hand side were occupied by Thai VIPs.  The reason is the view is better of the bay and islands out the left hand windows.  And considering Thai Airways financial problems I'm guessing all those Thai VIPs probably flew for free.  T. I. T.

In recent times many airlines have been on the edge of collapse, however with effort and often a new CEO with a record of bringing an ailing  company back from the brink. It can be done, question is are the Thais prepared to turn it into a functioning business or keep it as a money wasting taxi service for the Thai privileged class.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Like rats deserting a sinking ship.

I got my wedge time to get out quick.

What did you expect, Colin? Thais are notorious for fleeing the scene whenever they are incapable of dealing with a situation. It's the easy way out, but not the way out for a person with backbone, integrity and a sense of responsibility. Besides, I am sure Mr. Ekniti got his plentiful fill at the trough. So why stay on?

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Come on Ek, give us a hint, what was your severance package? :thumbsup::jap:

39 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

An Air Chief Marshal takes over..., makes sense. :giggle:

2 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

What did you expect, Colin? Thais are notorious for fleeing the scene whenever they are incapable of dealing with a situation. It's the easy way out, but not the way out for a person with backbone, integrity and a sense of responsibility. Besides, I am sure Mr. Ekniti got his plentiful fill at the trough. So why stay on?

The bloke is the head of the State Enterprise Policy Office at the Ministry of Finance. As the MOF is the majority shareholder its pretty normal that they appoint board members. If he quits the board too, then the MOF will appoint another board member, as is their right.

Him stepping down is the usually musical chairs which happens after an election, where the new political master wants his guys and girls in on the boards of SOE's.

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

However the replacement demonstrates the main problem with THAI...........Air-Chief Marshall.

Until the "jobs for the boys" attitude disappears the steady downfall of THAI will continue.

Ya hit the nail on the head, what would a Air Marshall be doing running a domestic Airline.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The company’s vice chairman, Air Chief Marshal Chaiyapruk Didyasarin, has assumed the duties of the chairman

Yeah right.

He's going to sort out all the problems pronto.

Like he studied business and management degrees at university.

No, wait....

In the last 13 years i have seen them come and seen them go; all as useless as the one that went before them but of course they all continued to get rich while there and left when they had pocketed enough.   Nobody who works for Thai Airways cares about the company, only what they get out of it for themselves !

Remember what Mario Dragi said when the Euro was in existential crisis? ECB will do ‘whatever it takes’ to sustain the eurozone (ie. use taxpayers money ad infinitum to help greece and portugal). Same here. Thai airways can not go bankrupt. It is the pride of thailand.

5 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

In recent times many airlines have been on the edge of collapse, however with effort and often a new CEO with a record of bringing an ailing  company back from the brink. It can be done, question is are the Thais prepared to turn it into a functioning business or keep it as a money wasting taxi service for the Thai privileged class.

Yes the Qantas new CEO came in swinging an axe and fired and trimmed and cut costs and he was not popular even amongst the public but got the job done

"the Qantas Group has achieved an Underlying Profit Before Tax of $1.30 billion and a Statutory Profit Before tax of $1.27 billion for the Financial Year 2019"

Thai should poach this CEO but the elite wont want to give up their seats

Archived