Steady Jazz presses on as McIlroy leads by one

rooster59

Steady Jazz presses on as McIlroy leads by one

By THE NATION

800_6c0a09da4eec118.jpg

Jazz Janewattananond of Thailand

Shanghai -  Thailand’s Jazz Janewattananond returned with another three-under-par 69 to emerge as the second highest ranked Asian after Korea’s Sungjae Im following the conclusion of the third round of the WGC-HSBC Champions on Saturday.

Like his second round, the Asian Tour Order of Merit leader posted a 69 again for a three-day total of eight-under-par 208 to take the outright 13th place, seven shots behind world number two Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland, who moved to the top with his third consecutive round of 67.

“It was a pretty easy three-under. I missed a lot of putts but I’m happy with the way I'm swinging it so hopefully I continue to hit it like this tomorrow and make more putts. I just didn't take advantage of it, but still a pretty good round and a pretty good score,” said Jazz, who at t the age of 23 years 6 months and 27 days,  becomes the youngest ever player to achieve four wins on Tour.

“I’m going to try to finish as high as I can and you know, try to grind it out. My goal is to end the year inside the top-50, so this is going to be a good opportunity to put myself closer to that goal. I hit a lot of greens and had a lot of chances,” added the Thai No 1.

McIlroy, who is chasing his third World Golf Championships (WGC) title, heads into the final round with a one-shot advantage over South Africa’s Louis Oosthuizen after the 2010 Open champion signed for a 65 at the Sheshan International Golf Club.

“I want to go out there and be committed, play aggressively, and shoot a good number. I took a lot from the win in Canada earlier this year. I went out tied for the lead, and I just said from the start, I'm going to keep my foot down and I'm going to go for everything. It was a good lesson that when you do have something right there, in front of you, a tournament to win or something to achieve, you just have to grab it with both hands, and that's what I'll do tomorrow,” said McIlroy.

Oosthuizen has never won a WGC event where the closest he came to doing so was at the 2016 WGC-Dell Match Play when he lost in the final.

Overnight leader Matthew Fitzpatrick of England and defending champion Xander Schauffele of the United States were a further shot back in a share of third place.

Im signed for a 70 to share sixth place with American Jason Kokrak at the year’s final WGC event.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/sport/30378009?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-03