PM Johnson rejects calls for no-deal Brexit in election pitch

rooster59

PM Johnson rejects calls for no-deal Brexit in election pitch

By Alistair Smout and Toby Melville

2019-11-02T152816Z_2_LYNXMPEFA103T_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-ELECTION.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson visits Metropolitan Police training college in Hendon, London, Britain October 31, 2019. Aaron Chown/Pool via REUTERS

LONDON/SWINDON, England (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson drew an angry backlash from Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage on Saturday after he rejected calls to drop his Brexit deal and embrace a clean break from the European Union, potentially splitting the eurosceptic vote.

Johnson had previously pledged to take Britain out of the EU with or without a deal on Oct. 31, before lawmakers voted to force him to seek an extension until Jan. 31.

But he has abandoned the threat of a no-deal Brexit in his Conservative Party's manifesto for the Dec. 12 election, the Times newspaper reported on Saturday. It added that the focus would be on getting his Brexit deal approved.

On Friday, Johnson rejected a call from the Brexit Party to drop the deal he negotiated with the European Union last month in order to form a new electoral pact, saying that he could put his deal through parliament after any election win.

"What we’ve got is a fantastic deal that nobody thought we could get," Johnson said. "As soon as we get back in the middle of December, we can put that deal through."

In Britain's tortuous journey since the 2016 referendum vote to leave the EU, businesses and economists have cautioned that leaving the bloc without a deal to smooth the transition would hurt the British economy.

Proponents of a no-deal Brexit say it provides a clean break from EU rules and regulations.

"If The Times are right and Boris Johnson will abandon a clean break Brexit, and he wins an election on this, we will never be free of EU rules," Brexit Party Leader Nigel Farage said in a tweet.

"The deal is simply not Brexit and does not get Brexit done."

"SO BAD" FOR BRITAIN

The Conservative manifesto will also not include a commitment to a fiscal rule, the Times reported, relaxing the government's grip on public finances. The party did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The government's previous fiscal rule pledged to hold the underlying budget deficit below 2% of the country's economic output in the 2020/21 financial year.

The leaders of the opposition Labour, Liberal Democrat and Scottish Nationalist parties addressed supporters separately across Britain on Saturday, exhorting them to brave the weather to campaign in the country's first December election since 1923, called to break the impasse over Brexit.

U.S. President Donald Trump said Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn would be "so bad" for Britain in an interview with Farage on Thursday.

On Saturday, Corbyn warned of the dangers of a trade deal with the United States, saying it threatened Britain's public National Health Service, a claim Johnson and Trump both deny.

"The reality of no-deal is (heading) straight into the arms of Donald Trump. Straight into the arms of a free trade deal with the USA... and their desire to take over our public services," Corbyn said at a rally in Swindon, 70 miles west of London.

"We will not go down that path under any circumstances. Our public services, our national health service is not for sale, to Donald Trump or anybody else."

Both major parties face battles on at least three fronts: Against each other, with the hardline Brexit Party, and with the Liberal Democrats who aim to win over those opposed to Brexit altogether.

Opinion polls give Johnson a sizeable lead over Labour, but also suggest that more than 10% of voters back the Brexit Party - enough to split the pro-Brexit vote in some seats and hand victory to Labour.

The Scottish National Party (SNP) are also looking to wipe away Conservative gains made in 2017 as they push for another referendum on Scottish independence.

Addressing a pro-independence rally in Glasgow, SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon said independence was within touching distance.

"It is time for Scotland to choose our own future, it is time for Scotland to be an independent country," she said.

(Reporting by Alistair Smout; Editing by Frances Kerry and Hugh Lawson)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-03

34 minutes ago, nausea said:

What I want to know is where is the reset button. God awful mess from start to finish, whenever that might be.

A 2nd Referendum/People's Vote would be the reset button if the result was to remainin the EU.

1 hour ago, nausea said:

What I want to know is where is the reset button. God awful mess from start to finish, whenever that might be.

It's a square box near the word s 'Liberal Democrat' on your ballot paper.  Many have to 'press' it for it to work.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:
1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You only need know one thing about Johnson, he’s a inveterate liar.

Nothing he says has any credibility.

I think you mean invertebrate liar 

What an excellent put-down using that play on words - well done!

Apparently Boris has offered a peerage twice to Farage and Richard Tice was offered the safe seat of Rutland (Alan Duncan's old seat if he would defect to the Tories) . St Nigel has announced he won't be standing so he can concentrate on the national campaign !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50280848

Despite a bitter rift emerging with his own closest allies, Mr Farage branded the package a 'Remainer's Brexit' and a 'massive con', saying it was '95 per cent the same' as Theresa May's.

20 minutes ago, evadgib said:

MSM won't touch this but i'm pleased someone uploaded this 31 Oct protest:

I think history will remember this moment as peak 'gammon'. The geordie says we should be more like the French. Sacre bleu. A lot of them wouldn't need a costume change to go trick or treating later on the evening. Thanks for sharing eva as the MSM will have made sure true patriots couldn't find that by normal search methods. It's called the 'Soros effect'. I've had a chat with the black feller - he's still UKIP BTW - nice guy but as mad as a march hare.  

21 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Any video of that ‘gloat dance’ you spent so long practicing for?

Or was that just another ‘figure of speech?

By the time that goes on general release the punch line will likely end with "...an' a Stomper in a pear tree!????

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Postponing due to circumstances beyond control is still preferable to claiming to be the town crier with a Pied-Piper like influence over a potential parliamentry candidate (PPC) when you are neither British or on the Electoral Roll though innit? 

Walt!

I’m not sure why you are asking your nonsense question, based as it is on assumptions with no verifiable facts.

Regardless, you were at pains to tell us how great your ‘Gloat Dance’ was going to be, and it didn’t happen.

I’m sure even though you are the subject of the laugh out loud moment you you yourself created, you can see why your failed ‘Gloat’ is so amusing and why it draws into question any other predictions you might want us to buy into.

7 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Latest polls suggest an overall majority win for the Tories even without cooperation with the Brexit Party. Not sure about that. I fear that another hung parliament is more likely.

yep another hung mob of squabblers for  years to come and UK descends into slump with corbyn in no10

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not sure why you are asking your nonsense question, based as it is on assumptions with no verifiable facts.

Regardless, you were at pains to tell us how great your ‘Gloat Dance’ was going to be, and it didn’t happen.

I’m sure even though you are the subject of the laugh out loud moment you you yourself created, you can see why your failed ‘Gloat’ is so amusing and why it draws into question any other predictions you might want us to buy into.

Where exactly is the failure?

Catching you is as easy as sticking a hob ferret down a snow-clad rabbit hole and yet, as is often the case, I WASN"T ACTUALLY TRYING AND HAD NO IDEA YOU WERE ON THE PROWL when I posted my opening post this evening.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

eva I'll gloat dance for you - enjoy the youthful vitality. 

Archived