BANGKOK

Hi everyone,

this probably has been covered to death but I just don't have the time to go and search. Here is my situation. I have an older Honda City model which still looks as new as on the day I picked it up new from the car dealer. BUT: it has no navi. My 10-year old daughter Amy is a tennis player who just had her first tennis tournament in Korat. Traveling to a unknown destination without a navi is complete stress. From January 2020 on we will be traveling to tennis tournaments all over Thailand once or twice a month. I have a Samsung Note 8 tablet which I could use as hardware in my car. It fits perfectly in on my car.

All I need now is software, I mean an app, free or not which could bring me safely from A to B anywhere in Thailand, but should be in English, not Thai. Can anyone help?

IMG20191103101634s.jpg

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

google maps, a bit lazy to find a link

Thanks Steve. That is not the solution. I need a software where I can put in the coordinates of my destination and then acts as a GPS and shows me the way.

Edited by Dario

Google Maps or

HERE WeGo

HERE WeGo does not depend on internet connection.

3 minutes ago, Dario said:

Thanks Steve. That is not the solution. I need a software where I can put in the coordinates of my destination and then acts as a GPS and shows me the way.

I guess you should adapt, google maps is perfect. It can work with coordinates too.

There is almost nothing better then google maps with navigation. You say where you want to go and set it and done. Can be in THAI an English so that is great for finding things.

I use google maps in combination with line friends send me "coordinates or links" and it just opens on google map.

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

HERE WeGo does not depend on internet connection.

Neither does Google offline maps.

Downside of using offline navigation is you forego real-time traffic updates.

• Like 2

I've been in the 'lost and found' quite a few times.

Lost as in 'lost in rural Issan when out on a venture ride on my motorcycle'.

Found as in 'found my way home thanks to my smartphone and google maps'.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Google maps does exactly that.

Perfect then! I'm always eager to learn. Now I have downloaded "Google Maps Go - Directions, Traffic & Transit". Is this the correct one? I have out in my coordinates and my locations show on the right. Then I have put in the coordinates of my destination on the left and it shows. So now, I just drive and watch the map? Sorry, but I have never ever used a Navi.

IMG20191103104952s.jpg

Edited by Dario

16 minutes ago, Dario said:

Perfect then! I'm always eager to learn. Now I have downloaded "Google Maps Go - Directions, Traffic & Transit". Is this the correct one? I have out in my coordinates and my locations show on the right. Then I have put in the coordinates of my destination on the left and it shows. So now, I just drive and watch the map? Sorry, but I have never ever used a Navi.

IMG20191103104952s.jpg

another satisfied poster

18 minutes ago, Dario said:

Now I have downloaded "Google Maps Go - Directions, Traffic & Transit". Is this the correct one?

Can't say I've heard of that one, I just use normal Google maps, but yeah, basically that's all there is to it.

360618494_RembrandtHotelSuitesBangkoktoMahaSarakhamThailand-GoogleMaps.png.6e7e7af435bfcfb8df97248aea742b71.png

• Enter start location (or use current location as GPS will show where you are).
  • Enter destination.
  • Can tell it to avoid tolls if you really want to.
  • Can choose route if multiple shown/tweak route (drag parts of it) if you want to stop off somewhere on the way.
  • Hit start and off you go.
  • Google will tell you when you are coming up to a junction (so make sure volume is up) and which way to turn.
  • If major congestion ahead it will offer a faster route.
  • If you go the wrong way it will recalculate the route automatically.

Edited by Salerno

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Can't say I've heard of that one, I just use normal Google maps, but yeah, basically that's all there is to it.

360618494_RembrandtHotelSuitesBangkoktoMahaSarakhamThailand-GoogleMaps.png.6e7e7af435bfcfb8df97248aea742b71.png

• Enter start location (or use current location as GPS will show where you are).
  • Enter destination.
  • Can tell it to avoid tolls if you really want to.
  • Can choose route if multiple shown/tweak route (drag parts of it) if you want to stop off somewhere on the way.
  • Hit start and off you go.
  • Google will tell you when you are coming up to a junction (so make sure volume is up) and which way to turn.
  • If major congestion ahead it will offer a faster route.

To Steve: yeah, happy poster. I can confirm this. As long as I don't encounter the regular bashers ...

To Salerno: thanks a lot. I guess, I'm ready to go anywhere now. Google really seems to be our friend.

I just wonder why people buy and use TomTom when there is a free app like Google Maps.

14 minutes ago, Dario said:

Google really seems to be our friend.

I just wonder why people buy and use TomTom when there is a free app like Google Maps.

Depends how you look at it ... nothing in life is free.

To offer this service they are basically "spying" on us and selling our data to others. They get the real-time traffic conditions (unlike TomTom etc.) from pinging all Android devices e.g. they know there's 6 minutes congestion ahead because they've tracked how long it's taken people ahead of you with an Android device. It's a privacy trade-off I'm willing to make.

Other functionality I missed above (a couple especially useful for your use case):

• It can tell you roughly when to leave to get there at a certain time (so tell it when you have to be at the tennis club and it will suggest best time to leave).
  • It tells you ETA in real-time - so you can chill out or floor it.
  • It can tell you where speed cameras are (this functionality is a bit iffy in Australia, unlikely to be much use for now in Thailand).
  • It also keeps a record of everywhere you've been if you let it.
  • Can search local area e.g. I was running on fumes and searched for petrol stations, didn't tell me first two I went to after searching didn't sell Benzine though 555

• Sometimes the directions aren't too clear "slight right"?
  • Have heard out in the sticks it can be problematic as maps aren't up to date but personally haven't hit that issue.
Edited by Salerno

18 minutes ago, Dario said:

To Steve: yeah, happy poster. I can confirm this. As long as I don't encounter the regular bashers ...

To Salerno: thanks a lot. I guess, I'm ready to go anywhere now. Google really seems to be our friend.

There are some disadvantages that I have found from using Google maps on my phone compared to my last Garmin GPS. One is that the Garmin gave me more notice of turns coming up when traveling at highway speed, ie when driving at 100kph it would give the first warning at about 2kms out so I had plenty of time to slow down and change lanes if necessary, but at suburban speeds it would be less. Google seems to have a fixed distance regardless of speed, the other day it told me to turn left in 500m when I was doing 100 in the outside lane, with the inner lane full !

Of course, if you have a dashboard mount you can also keep an eye on the map to avoid this but it was not my car.

A GPS has points of interest preloaded, makes it easier to see what gas stations are coming up, or find a hotel, or tourist attraction, etc. You can search for these on Google maps, but that’s not something you should be doing while driving !

You can also save your own favorites on to the GPS.

Also (depending on the software installed) you can keep a log of mileage, input fuel amounts and costs.

So there are some advantages for a GPS, for some people.

Edited by MikeN

22 minutes ago, Dario said:

This could be a reason...I just put in my Bangkok location with a destination in Khon Kaen, it gave an estimated journey time of 3D 18HRS but got the distance correct.