BANGKOK

2 minutes ago, MikeN said:

the other day it told me to turn left in 500m when I was doing 100 in the outside lane, with the inner lane full !

Been there done that 555

Other day I was at traffic lights, major hold up, outside lane - told me to turn left! Thanks for finding me a faster route but yeah, not going to happen 😂

@Dario Another thing to think about that MikeN reminded me, depending on distance you're going it can suck up battery so get yourself a decent in-car charger. I use my handset (Samsung S9+) so got a dashboard mount, with built-in fast wireless charging and powered from cigarette lighter dual USB port charger. From your pic, similar charger would be worth investing in although the dashboard mount obviously superfluous.

One thing I have found with Google maps in Thailand is that you have to be vigilant about which way it is telling you to go.  After several mishaps I realised that Google Maps in Thailand will direct you to turn right/left down a road that goes through villages/towns, rather than stay on a main road/highway - because the 'village' road is a few kms shorter.   It of course does not realise that on the highways everyone goes 90-100(+) even though the official speed limit might be 60 or 80 - and there is no way you can do a constant 60 going through villages.  What I learned to do is to set the journey before I left - you can instruct google maps to go to certain locations on the way.  But still keep an eye on it - for whatever reasons it might try and get you to leave a main highway and go on a back road.  Once you are close to the location and you are at the turn off the main road that you know, then let it go. Works great - but you have to be vigilant.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

This could be a reason...I just put in my Bangkok location with a destination in Khon Kaen, it gave an estimated journey time of 3D 18HRS but got the distance correct.

Did you have google maps set for walking ? LOL.

one addendum to my previous post on Google v GPS ....with google maps on your phone you can do a voice search/command for directions, something that was not around for my last GPS. Do any current model GPS units have voice command nowadays ?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Been there done that 555

Other day I was at traffic lights, major hold up, outside lane - told me to turn left! Thanks for finding me a faster route but yeah, not going to happen 😂

@Dario Another thing to think about that MikeN reminded me, depending on distance you're going it can suck up battery so get yourself a decent in-car charger. I use my handset (Samsung S9+) so got a dashboard mount, with built-in fast wireless charging and powered from cigarette lighter dual USB port charger. From your pic, similar charger would be worth investing in although the dashboard mount obviously superfluous.

Thanks for the tip, yes, long distance rides could suck up a lot of power. I feed my tablet via double USB thing plugged into the cigarette lighter.

Edited by Dario
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dario said:

All I need now is software, I mean an app, free or not which could bring me safely from A to B anywhere in Thailand, but should be in English, not Thai. Can anyone help?

My personal preference is Sygic which is completely off line unless you want traffic. It is not free or cheap but on both a tablet and phone is far better than either the Garmin or TomTom apps. Google maps is not quite as good as you can’t download enough maps to do a long distance off line.

The speed limit indication on Sygic is great (white on the HUD yellow for over speed) so it gets used on anything longer than a trip to the local town.

The HUD is also something that google doesn’t offer.

I will use both, though not usually simultaneously. Another offline app I use is map.me for rout planning and walking to unfamiliar places in towns. I’ve also got Waze but haven’t used it yet 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

I'm still not getting used to Google Maps as a Navigator, I'm sure I don't know how to use the settings. I used now HERE We Go and that is what I want. It shows like on a Navi and shows speed limit as well as the speed I'm currently driving. Perfect. I made a short trip (15 km) to the nearest Tesco-Lotus to visit True. Now listen to this: I had not used my tablet for a few months as we have 3 computers at home and wifi and I had not traveled, so I got a new number, then I asked for a package. I said that I don't need to call with my tablet, only need lots of GB so I can use as a  Navi. You won't believe what I've got! It's prepaid 200 Baht per month (VAT included) and I get not 10 GB ... I get 100 (one hundred) GB per month! For only 200 Baht per month. I'm still speechless. What do you say?

IMG20191103135955s.jpg

Edited by Dario

6 minutes ago, Dario said:

I'm still not getting used to Google Maps as a Navigator, I used now HERE We Go and that is what I want. It shows like on a Navi and shows speed limit as well as the speed I'm currently driving. Perfect. I made a short trip (15 km) to the nearest TEsco-Lotus to visit True. Now listen to this: I had not used my tablet for a few months as we have 3 computers at hom and wifi and I had not traveled, so I got a new number, then I asked for a package. Isaid that I don't need to call with my tablet, only need lots of GB so I can use a Navi. Tou won't believe what I got! It's prepaid 200 Baht per month (VAT included) and I get not 10 GB ... I get 100 (one hundred) GB per month! For only 200 Baht per month. I'm still speechless. What do you say?

An amazing deal! Which provider? You realise that some providers have poor coverage Don’t you?

these are some sygic screenshots 21A8758F-994C-4AB5-A469-EC098CEA53A8.thumb.png.6521b1c436515f1608497f4b89987dd4.png100401AA-EFB2-4817-8A8E-86DFA57CE521.thumb.png.f7a057902ac7b5d4cee2dcb6038b8964.png

this is the HUD in both normal and true HUD 4DC8356D-3302-4E3F-9DF0-38070C4A7070.thumb.png.af2ce46f3a5e5fc0199f9643b11f8ef1.png564153E1-C303-45FA-A072-84FB3764CC49.thumb.png.55172e62755f04e248de9bd3bb61e75c.png

Edited by sometimewoodworker

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

An amazing deal! Which provider? You realise that some providers have poor coverage Don’t you?

The provider is True, has probably the best coverage in Thailand. Just go to any True shop. But you need a new SIM as the one I show as attachment. You c an also just pay 100 Baht and you'll get 50 GB. Simply incredible but true. I'll have a look at the software you mention.

IMG20191103144426s.jpg

6 hours ago, Dario said:

The provider is True, has probably the best coverage in Thailand. Just go to any True shop. But you need a new SIM as the one I show as attachment. You c an also just pay 100 Baht and you'll get 50 GB. Simply incredible but true. I'll have a look at the software you mention.

IMG20191103144426s.jpg

Incredible is absolutely the correct word. That deal isn’t on the website nor is the ontop package, I would be rather wary about it as it looks to be vastly bigger and cheaper than anything else available, around 30 X more data than anything else I’ve seen

Looks as too good to be true. But really, I only paid 249 Baht yesterday (49 Baht for the SIM card) and was told not to forget to pay again 200 Baht before Dec 3, as this is a prepaid deal.

On 11/3/2019 at 11:45 AM, Just Weird said:

This could be a reason...I just put in my Bangkok location with a destination in Khon Kaen, it gave an estimated journey time of 3D 18HRS but got the distance correct.

Turn off "walking" option. 

• Like 1

In the old days there were these things called maps. You learnt to understand them and navigate by them.

Then along came technology and the high tech approach and now people get lost.

Laziness is ok until technology gets a bug. Then you regret not knowing north from south or road numbers.

On 11/9/2019 at 8:41 PM, Denim said:

In the old days there were these things called maps. You learnt to understand them and navigate by them.

Then along came technology and the high tech approach and now people get lost.

Laziness is ok until technology gets a bug. Then you regret not knowing north from south or road numbers.

Yes I remember vividly trying to work out which of the many side streets was my turn, finding that it was a one way street, reading fine print, having the bloody thing slip to the floor from your knees, being picked up back to front and upside down, avoiding accidents and police telling you not to stop THERE. Maps were never forbidden by law from being used while driving, in many countries you're not supposed to even look at your GPS, "too distracting".

I don't get lost, never did, and have been driving over 50 years.