BANGKOK
Hervey Bay

Possible to divorce my Thai wife from overseas ?

I married a Thai woman and we split up. Currently we are both living in my home country, and neither one of us is planning to go back to Thailand in the very near future.

I am wondering if it is possible to divorce her when I am overseas.....that is to say....how hard is it ? I am sure there are agencies who will take money from me to do it, but are they expensive ? And how would I find one ?

All replies appreciated.

• Haha 1

What was the basis of her visa to enter your country?

• Like 1

The basis was marriage to me.

I know I can divorce here here in Australia, but I think it's a tad expensive, and frankly I don't want to waste any more money on her. But perhaps I should do it here....at least I can do it step by step as the authorities require, rather than having to try to do that in Thailand from here.

• Sad 1

I'm sure you need to do it at the amphur where your marriage was registered. That's where the record of marriage is.

• Like 1

Divorce does not have to be done at the amphur where you were married and it can even be done in any country. If abroad it is wise to register the divorce with the Thai government also, otherwise you will be continue to be liable for the debts your ex-spouse makes. (Debtors that check the marriage register see you are still married and it is your responsibility to correct the register. They can hold you to what is registered in the marriage register).

• Like 1

If both parties are agreeable no issue at all. I was married at amphur in Thailand & divorced in OZ. Application form online. This was in 2012 & from memory cost $500.

7 minutes ago, Hervey Bay said:

Ok.....can anyone tell me how straightforward it is ?

I think it can be done without attending an Amphur, but it would involve a lawyer and a court process.

I divorced some years ago, and a visit to an Amphur would have been straightforward and quick, but it would still have required both of us to attend, which I wasn't prepared to risk, and I suspect she wouldn't have played ball.

A lawyer represented me in court and a judge approved my application for a divorce, I didn't need to attend.

She subsequently challenged the ruling and a further court day was set, I didn't attend, but my lawyer did, she didn't attend and neither was she represented, the judge dismissed her application. 

Whilst we were both in the country, neither of us attended court, but my lawyer did, so I suspect you could do it in absentia, but would need a lawyer

19 hours ago, Hervey Bay said:

The basis was marriage to me.

I know I can divorce here here in Australia, but I think it's a tad expensive, and frankly I don't want to waste any more money on her. But perhaps I should do it here....at least I can do it step by step as the authorities require, rather than having to try to do that in Thailand from here.

You don't want to waste any more money on her but you are willing to pay an agency in thailand to take care of it ??? Qeustions qeustions ???

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hervey Bay said:

I know I can divorce here here in Australia, but I think it's a tad expensive

Sorry to hear that you marriage went south, hopefully for the better if you weren't happy ?

As for the Thai side of the divorce, I can only say listen to what the others have said as I have no idea.

But in Oz, if you haven't done the divorce because you suggest it's expensive, you can do it yourself for under $1,000, and I call that money well spent, as the last thing you want is her coming back at you years down the track to stake a claim, which she would be entitled to, so get the divorce in Oz first and foremost, or leave yourself wide open to the unexpected. 

• Like 2

Just hire a lawyer, you can do from anywhere.

i was living and working in Egypt......I am USA citizen, I divorced my Vietnamese wife where she was living in Tennessee.

It was a no fault divorce, I hired a lawyer near her in TN, all done and filed 500 dollars.

Done in 2007 

20 hours ago, Hervey Bay said:

I don't want to waste any more money on her.

send her a text …. then change the locks.

just remember in Australia she will get the lions share of your assets