can a Thai wife get half your inheritance as well?

BananaBandit

On 11/4/2019 at 8:38 AM, dimitriv said:

This is not completely true. When you are married without pre-nup your possessions will be owned by both of you. If you pass away your inheritance will be only your part of the possessions (50%). She already owns half. You cannot change this in your will. The only way to prevent this is with a pre-nup.

Your half is the inheritance which will be divided between the wife you are married with and your children. In your will you can change some things, but not everything is possible.

solution: give away most to your children while you are still alive

put a clausule that they cannot touch it till they are 20

On 11/11/2019 at 6:09 PM, Delight said:

In the event of a divorce (in Thailand) assets accrued during marriage are split 50 /50

Given that your  inheritance was received by you during marriage then she will be entitled to 50% of everything.

However if this inheritance remains in your home country -then I doubt that Thai law will allow your ex wife to touch it.

As is already stated  lawyer advice is required.

You are incorrect read the Thai Law below.

Funds/property bequethed or gifted to either spouse is not considered marital property and therefore does not have to be split in a divorice. See "Sin Suan Tua "

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/TCCC-book5.pdf  

Read the above Thai law concerning property ownership. ESpecially 1471 Sin Suan Tua  #3 property recived after marriage thru a will or gift shall be considered same as #1 property owned by each spouse before the marriage

Any property willed or gifted to either party is not considered as sin som ros and therefore does not come under the 50-50 rule.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 9:47 AM, elgenon said:

It sounds like the TV posters are not sure if the OP meant an inheritance he gets or an inheritance he leaves. it's not clear.

If it was an inheritance he leaves why would it matter? You're dead. If it's an inheritance he gets then unless he got married by saying "Marry me baby and we'll be rich!" then just don't tell her. If she divorces you then you have a parachute. If she sticks with you through thick and thin then she gets a nice retirement.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:36 PM, BananaBandit said:

I read a TV thread or two that says if you legally marry in Thailand, your wife can probably score half your assets if you (when you inevitably) divorce. 

Only if she divorces you in the UK.

And then it's more like 66% of your net worth.

4 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

If it was an inheritance he leaves why would it matter? You're dead. If it's an inheritance he gets then unless he got married by saying "Marry me baby and we'll be rich!" then just don't tell her. If she divorces you then you have a parachute. If she sticks with you through thick and thin then she gets a nice retirement.

I care who gets my money upon exit. Maybe not everyone does.

Archived