Family angered over images of Amelia Bambridge’s body

geovalin

In the wake of police ruling the death of Amelia Bambridge as accidental drowning, her family has expressed anger over gruesome images of her body floating in the sea that were circulated on social media. The 21-year-old British tourist went missing on October 24 at about 3am after she partied on Koh Rong island in Preah Sihanouk province.

Her body was discovered on Thursday floating near the maritime border of Cambodia-Thailand, some 80 kilometres from where she was last seen. On Friday, police ruled out foul play as the cause of her death following an autopsy. Facebook and Instagram users reportedly uploaded the images moments after the discovery of Ms Bambridge’s body. It is unclear who leaked the images.

Harry Bambridge, Ms Bambrige’s brother, reportedly requested Instagram to take down the images. Some of the images circulated on Facebook were reportedly removed yesterday, though others were still available online.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50656872/family-angered-over-images-of-amelia-bambridges-body/

understand how family might feel but in the day of internet and instant social media, some things are plain unrealistic.

recall a long time ago in university japanese anatomy atlases, textbooks had no qualms about showing the faces / identities of deceased; different culture

11 hours ago, Skallywag said:

So many people love, gross, scary movies with gore, blood, beheadings, and more. 

And then there is the beloved Halloween.

And yet a floating body repulses people?

Having the body of one's sister or daughter displayed for people's morbid fascination offends the family. Understandably. 

Many years ago my niece was killed in a motor vehicle accident. The local newspaper chose the next day to publish a photograph of the mangled wreck on their front page, which caused her immediate family distress when they looked at the paper unknowing it that a photograph had been published

I can only imagine the distress of the Bambridge family, hard to get social media to remove it.

What surprises me more is that a person thought to put it out there in the first place

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

#metoo

I think it's called morbid curiosity whatever that means

a couple of semesters in anatomy lab dealing with strong odors and what might be described as turkey meat will cure "morbid curiosity"

Archived